How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-02-2012
V.I.P.

Hmmm ... I can only find this very, very old thread in our Designers & Collections forum. I think you could probably post it there ... if what you have is clearly a designer coat. http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f60...ade-21083.html If it's clearly a vintage designer (more than at least 10 years old) .... mabe start a similar thread in the History Of Style forum.

However, if you have something that looks like it's just a current store brand ... then I'm thinking maybe you could start a thread entitled "Who Made This? What Brand Is It?" in Shop Til You Drop. I suggest that your run it by a Shop Til You Drop moderator first ... to make sure they like the idea. You can tell which moderators are assigned to STYD by looking at the main list of forums, and you'll see links to their UserNames and profiles in purple, at the far right of each forum listed.

Last edited by BetteT; 04-02-2012 at 02:51 PM.

04-02-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Hmmm ... I can only find this very, very old thread in our Designers & Collections forum. I think you could probably post it there ... if what you have is clearly a designer coat. http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f60...ade-21083.html If it's clearly a vintage designer (more than at least 10 years old) .... mabe start a similar thread in the History Of Style forum.

However, if you have something that looks like it's just a current store brand ... then I'm thinking maybe you could start a thread entitled "Who Made This? What Brand Is It?" in Shop Til You Drop. I suggest that your run it by a Shop Til You Drop moderator first ... to make sure they like the idea. You can tell which moderators are assigned to STYD by looking at the main list of forums, and you'll see links to their UserNames and profiles in purple, at the far right of each forum listed.
THANK YOU so much!!!

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortuna View Post
hey guys! is there any forumthread or another website where i can post a picture of a coat for example and people can tell me who made it?

thanks in advance!
Excellent thread idea! I hope there is a thread like this because I ALWAYS need to know this!

06-02-2012
flaunt the imperfection

^^we have 'Identify' threads in shoes and bags...
we should definitely start one for clothing...

It could say something like...
Help me identify this piece...
or this item or this article of clothing...whatever...
this way it's generic enough that it can keep going after you get your answer...
and if it has the word identify in it then it's search-friendly...

personally, i would say that d&c is the right spot for it...

11-03-2012
windowshopping

I'm a new one here so I don't know if it's right place to ask this...
Are there any fashion/modeling games thread here?

11-03-2012
V.I.P.

^I don´t know if this is exactly what you have in mind but I know of these two:

-Polyvore Stylist Challenge

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f58...1-a-99679.html

-The Cover Challenge

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f78...-a-167775.html

11-03-2012
Some Like It Hot

Welcome to tFS Black Swan .

If you wish to partake in the cover challenge there are also tips and tricks here in this thread : http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f78...re-115353.html

there is also the Fashion Story Challenge, but it never seemed to take off : http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f78...s-5470-36.html

But also if neither of kokobombom's links are what you were thinking gladly have a brainstorm and suggest some things you might have in mind, any suggestion is a good suggestion .

windowshopping

Where can I post my fashion sketches?
Hello everybody, this forum is so big that I'm kinda lost :p So I have some fashion sketches that I'd like to share with you, but I have no idea where to post them, in what section.

Thank you in advanced!

The future is stupid

Hello & welcome LoveAndArt

You can post your fashion illustrations here...

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f81...es-112643.html

06-07-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMagAddict View Post
Hello & welcome LoveAndArt

You can post your fashion illustrations here...

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f81...es-112643.html
Thank you!

fashion icon

I was wondering if we had a thread which compiles articles/thesis's (or even blogs) that focus on the academic research side of fashion? It's something I'm particularly interested in but when I did a search I couldn't really find any threads on it. If we don't have this sort of thread, maybe it would be possible to start one? I can't be the only one who wants to read more pieces from an academic viewpoint. Thanks.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
I was wondering if we had a thread which compiles articles/thesis's (or even blogs) that focus on the academic research side of fashion? It's something I'm particularly interested in but when I did a search I couldn't really find any threads on it. If we don't have this sort of thread, maybe it would be possible to start one? I can't be the only one who wants to read more pieces from an academic viewpoint. Thanks.
i would post your query into here:
Your Favourite Fashion blogs to READ

and there are many threads in the History of Style : a remembrance of things past forum that could pertain to what you are looking for.

your query was vague - i have no idea if you are interested in the business side of things or actual execution/fabrication of garments etc.

we do not want to many "blog" threads - it can lead to members promoting themselves, fyi.

V.I.P.

As far as a thread to compile articles and/or thesis's .... I don't think we have one. It would be in the Careers, Education & Biz forum ... if thre was anything like this.

On a rare occassion, a member has posted parts of their own thesis or survey results here, maybe 2 or three times in tFS's existance. We do get articles posted on various subjects that might be considered academic, but mostly it's stuff from magazines. Those would be found in either their own thread or in a thread about the same topic.

I'm not sure if we'd have other contibutors nor what the "topic" should be, if you were to start one. Can you explain further about what your topic would be and what exactly you would like people to post in the thread?

21-07-2012
fashion icon

Thank you BetteT and Lucy92 for your responses. I suppose I was interested in reading some thesis's/articles which look at fashion from a historical/anthropological/sociological standpoint. I don't currently have a topic in mind really. Though I am trying to do some research on the intersection of fashion and literature, focusing on the way clothing is not only described in select books but how it serves as a catalyst for the story. And then to take it a step further looking into the history of some of the garments mentioned in these stories. Like for example, in Anne of Green Gables, Anne Shirley's desire for a dress with puffed sleeves; how that moves the story along and some of the history behind it. So maybe once I've put the info together I would post it (if I ever deem it worthy enough to post on the internet! ). It's not really for school or anything.... for my own fun. But I'd be happy to read whatever people find interesting enough to post (say some articles by Valerie Steele for example). But I do realize that this would probably be a very small thread- might not be worth creating. Anyways, it was just a thought.

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 21-07-2012 at 12:13 AM.
21-07-2012
V.I.P.

Ahh.. I think I know more or less what you're getting at, YoninahAliza. You mean opening a thread where we could post and discuss articles/thesis/papers exploring fashion from a critical standpoint (historical, sociological, etc), like say, the work of Valerie Steele, Yuniya Kawamura?.. cause some time ago I briefly wondered about that.. but I didn't know either how to even get it started and figured it wouldn't even be successful anyways. This was right before FID got started I think.. members seem more receptive now.. or let's just say we're slowly getting again some attention from people that feel like discussing.

There's this conference that takes place in Oxford every year and that is precisely about what you mention.. fashion in all of its directions (explained better here). Anyway, they have an archive in that same link featuring drafts from the topics they've explored since 2009.. I'm not sure if we'd need permission to post them? we certainly don't need permission to download them :p, but anyway, it's there, and it's all mentally-stimulating material.. although some subjects might overlap under one roof, I think such diversity would keep it dynamic.. I hope.

Last edited by MulletProof; 21-07-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
find, post, starting, thread, topic