How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-07-2011
fashion insider

Argh!!! I'm having some problems with the search function, would someone be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I want to bring up all of the threads on AnOther magazine, so I go to search enter "another" click "search titles only". No results found

So I tried various similar search and if I put in "another magazine" it turns up lots of threads with magazine in (not too helpful). And I know there are threads with "another" in the title because if I go to the magazine section and go through the pages (but this would take forever to find all of the threads) I can see them. Am I doing something really stupid? How can I make it work?

01-07-2011
V.I.P.

Oh, the AnOther threads!, I've had the same problem.. another is too common for our search engine, kind of like searching 'from'.

What I do is that I usually search (title only) for the name of anyone that's been on the cover I'm looking for (Thurman if I wanted to access the S/S 08 thread).. if I'm running out of time I go straight to google though, just add thefashionspot at the end.

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
Oh, the AnOther threads!, I've had the same problem.. another is too common for our search engine, kind of like searching 'from'.

What I do is that I usually search (title only) for the name of anyone that's been on the cover I'm looking for (Thurman if I wanted to access the S/S 08 thread).. if I'm running out of time I go straight to google though, just add thefashionspot at the end.
Ahh, good idea about using google MulletProof, that seem to be finding them pretty well, thank you

V.I.P.

Don't forget ... we have a Google search right at the bottom of every page ... and you don't have to enter "the fashion spot" ... it's automatic.

Last edited by BetteT; 02-07-2011 at 12:29 AM.
03-07-2011
V.I.P.

Things to know about the difficult tFS search engine, to make it work for you almost all the time:
    • You must use keywords of 3 letters characters or more. Less than that will not be recognized.
    • When using the Advanced Search, make sure that you search by thread titles only and ask to have results delivered as threads ... otherwise your will get way, way too many results.
    • You may set your "Advanced Search" with these preferences as your default ... I recommend that you do that.
    • You may narrow your search even futher, by specifiying the forum.
    • It will not search phrases or two words tied together with quotes (a boolean search), like most search engines will. Such as "new york" ... it will search for each word independently. So, it would be more precise to search with just "york" and forget about the "new" part ... or you will also get all those threads that have the word "new" in them too.
    • Learn to select your keywords carefully when searching and when starting a thread. We try to make sure all our threads have titles with one or more commonly used keywords (with at least 3 letters), we enter years with 4 numbers to make it searchable and we ask members to start theads with strong keywords in the titles, which clearly identify what the thread is about.
    • You may easily search the forum you are in ... without going to advanced search. When you are in the forum you wish to search, the thread listings page, look for the "Search this Forum" link on the right side of the second highest nav bar ... and you may select to search only thread titles, too ... making it fairly easy.
    • You may search a single thread ... by going into the thread, and using "Search this Thread" located in the same spot.
    • If all else fails, try the Google search at the very bottom of each page .. it will automatically search tFS for you, and you may use smaller words and string phrases together with "quotes". It won't narrow it down as much, but it sometimes will deliver hard to get results. Here is where you would need to search for things like "NY" because there are only 2 letters in that keyword.

Last edited by BetteT; 06-12-2013 at 03:03 PM.
11-02-2012
tfs star

Oh, can`t find a proper thread to ask it, but where`s the pictures of our pets-thread? I used the search function for multiple times and words, but can`t find it. What rule did it violate if it got deleted?

Last edited by TommyGirl; 11-02-2012 at 04:08 PM.
11-02-2012
V.I.P.

In the same area it's always been..

[my own screencaps]

tfs star

^I am sorry, there must have been something wrong with my computer/internet at that moment, I look this thread almost daily basis and I am sure I couldn`t see it on Hear and Soul, and in the search word "pets" or the whole name of the thread or parts of it gave "no matches" which was kinda unbelievable. So my apologizes!

06-12-2013
V.I.P.

"You must use keywords of 3 letters characters or more. Less than that will not be recognized."

then what´s the best way to search for magazines like W if you don´t know eg the person on the cover?

06-12-2013
V.I.P.

That's really difficult, because one letter isn't very searchable, even by search engines that don't limit the letters.

For short words, you can try our Google search, at the bottom of the page ... that's why it's there. Doesn't get everything but sometimes it works when our search engine won't.

06-12-2013
V.I.P.

^thanks for the help

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
find, post, quick, search, thread, tips