How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-12-2006
fashion elite

How to Use tFS' Search Function, How to Find a Thread. See post #35 for quick tips.
I am wondering if other users experience the same problems with the search function as I do.

I can click the word 'Search', but I am only able to actually type in the text area if a specific type of banner ad is not there. On an incredibly rare occasion the search bar will appear over the banner ads that are not white, but, like I said, that is incredibly rare. Sometimes I am able to click on certain threads to make the search function of use because the white ads appear and the search bar can go on top of them, but it's difficult and incredibly frustrating. I am sorry if there is already a thread on this, I haven't been given a white banner ad the whole night.

30-12-2006
still here

I can't solve your problem, but here's how to get around it...

when you click on search, almost all of the little square goes behind the ad, but not all. if you look at the bottom right corner that is exposed, you noticed that the bottom of the square, under a line, is another clickable area, which actually says "advanced search", but the text part is hidden. so click on that bottom right corner, and it will take you to advanced search screen, but then you can just do a regular search.

hope that alleviates a little frustration.

30-12-2006
fashion elite

Thank you so much for helping! That will most likely work for the computer that isn't my laptop, but on my laptop not even that much of the search bubble shows, this is what it ends up looking like:

*source: me

30-12-2006
still here

that's fine, that's enough, just click on that little part on the bottom right corner that's below the white line, which is under the "go" part. that bottom area looks decorative, like a border, but it's not. is it not working for you?

Last edited by mundodabolsa; 30-12-2006 at 07:41 PM.
30-12-2006
fashion elite

Oh, wow! THANK YOU, for real! I was looking for the link text that says 'Advanced Search'. Thankyouthankyouthankyou! That definitely works now that I understand.

31-12-2006
Diamond

Also, each individual forum has a Search this Forum option.

~Madeleine Albright
27-01-2007
V.I.P.

I'm having this problem too but it seemed to go away once I changed the resolution of my screen.

20-03-2007
backstage pass

I have another search function question...

When you do an advanced search and change to "Search Titles Only", you still get loads of irrelevant hits. Eg, the first 10 hits for "Chanel" are various models' threads..

You usually find the right thread anyway, but as I experienced last night it can be rather tricky if you don't know the exact title nor which forum the thread's in, and have to search for a rather common word...

So, not a big issue, but is there a way to get around this and only find threads where "search word" is actually included in the thread title?

30-04-2007
rising star

hi, seeing if anyone knows more about the question i had.
in addition to that one, i also wanted to know why the search sometimes doesn't pick up terms correctly it seems when u search by topics of threads. ill search for a name or issue, and non related thread topics will appear.
any reason why?

thanks, TFS is a GREAT resource. i really like how commited people are here to providing facts, or information to the best of their knowledge. it has a level of seriousness and touch with reality i rarely have seen on socially interactive websites. most net forums attract really disturbed people.

i want to be more familiar with TFS and know how to understand it/use the functions properly

01-05-2007
Storm & Sommer

Quote:
why the search sometimes doesn't pick up terms correctly it seems when u search by topics of threads. ill search for a name or issue, and non related thread topics will appear.
any reason why?
I believe that it depends on the method you search by..
If you only want the threads where 'Chanel' is part of the title you have to do an advanced search selecting Search Titles Only/Show result as Threads.
If you do a standard search the criteria is Search Entire Posts/Show result as Threads..which would explain why you get threads without 'Chanel' in the title.

Hope that helps

pinterest : hanneonpin

Last edited by BetteT; 27-09-2009 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Removing response to deleted post.
20-06-2007
trendsetter

Im finding the seach function has changed. I noticed quite a while ago but thought it would change back. I search for something as i used too but instead of a the few threads with this persons name in, it seems like every single thread which might have this person mentioned once in appears. Im not selecting the "show posts" category.

fashion elite

^I noticed that too. It makes it so hard to find certain things now because you have to rummage through a million things.

24-06-2007
V.I.P.

^^ But it's suppose to pick up every word now.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmesweet View Post
^^ But it's suppose to pick up every word now.
Say i search Moss, it comes up with threads called Simple pleasures, kate beckinsale, balenciaga ..etc millions of threads that must have moss mentioned in im guessing.

I just figured that would be wrong, no? I thought it was a word search of thread titles, otherwise both options are just seaches of posts.

V.I.P.

You are correct. Unless you go to Advanced Search and select "Seach Thread Titles" ... it automatically searches all word in both posts and in titles so you end up with everything that has that word in it. It's way too much information. An advanced search for thread titles is usually the most accurate and helps you find threads about your subject. You can narrow it down further by selecting only one forum ... rather than seaching every forum here.

Last edited by BetteT; 28-06-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
find, post, quick, search, thread, tips