How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-07-2009
fashion elite

Learning about the "No Clickable Links Rule for Sources / Credits" rule.
Can someone please clear this up once and for all: how are we supposed to post sources?

In the last couple of weeks Ive had several posts deleted because supposedly Ive incorrectly posted a link as a source. Im then directed [by the mysterious "tfs mod squad"] to view the community rules regarding this but since they haven't been updated since 2008 I'm not sure how its possible to view these new rules.

I contacted a moderator who told me that I wasnt allowed to include a source like http://www.thefashionspot.com/featur...outure-fw-2009 so I stopped doing that. Ive now had a post deleted because I listed the source as "someone" @ twitter.com because it was a "dead link".

Im confused. Are we allowed to post direct links as sources [as Ive always been told to do in the years Ive been here] and if not how are we supposed to post sources if they are from another website?

thanks to anyone that can help me

09-07-2009
V.I.P.

Its been updated this year, you can read it in full here:

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/ann....php?f=78&a=16

09-07-2009
Soviet Camaro

Thank you Miss Dalloway, that is correct.

The Community Rules are in fact updated from time to time, and there is a link in the Community Rules that leads to the full crediting guidelines, which include the update Miss Dalloway provided above.

Last edited by tangerine; 24-09-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: repaired link
09-07-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laisla View Post
Can someone please clear this up once and for all: how are we supposed to post sources?

In the last couple of weeks Ive had several posts deleted because supposedly Ive incorrectly posted a link as a source. Im then directed [by the mysterious "tfs mod squad"] to view the community rules regarding this but since they haven't been updated since 2008 I'm not sure how its possible to view these new rules.

I contacted a moderator who told me that I wasnt allowed to include a source like http://www.thefashionspot.com/featur...outure-fw-2009 so I stopped doing that. Ive now had a post deleted because I listed the source as "someone" @ twitter.com because it was a "dead link".

Im confused. Are we allowed to post direct links as sources [as Ive always been told to do in the years Ive been here] and if not how are we supposed to post sources if they are from another website?

thanks to anyone that can help me
And to answer your question about a "dead link" ... that is something else altogether. That refers to the picture you posted ... not the "source". It is something that you cannot control. if you hotlink to a site when you post a picture (as opposed to attaching it via our own attachment feature) and that site either goes down or they remove the picture. If that happens (and it does, all the time, especially Getty and various magazines) all we will see is a box with a red X in it. This means the link is "dead" ... and the image is no longer visable. So we remove it, since it's of no value anymore.

The way to avoid that from happening is to either use our attachment feature to host the image here (it's the little paper clip icon) ... or you upload it to your own image hosting site and hotlink to that, knowing that you will not remove the picture later.

We have threads here, in Member Support, about attachments and hotlinking to hosting sites .... if you want to learn more about those options.

Last edited by BetteT; 09-07-2009 at 02:17 PM.
09-07-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Please do not post links in credits - Please name the site where you found the images. Site names need to be spelled out in full ... and if the extension is not ".com" please add the extension (for example, ".it" or ".net", etc.). Clickable urls (eg: urls that contain http://) and/or links in lieu of a site name are not acceptable.

Sorry if this is dumbing it down too much - but maybe it would be good to provide a real example of what is Correct and Incorrect crediting in the rule?

For example, if someone got an image from IMG's site, which of these are correct and incorrect.

IMG Models
imgmodels
imgmodels.com
http://www.imgmodels.com

I've originally thought all 4 were correct... but is it now only #3?

And for instance, if I got an image from Elite Paris' website,
http://management.elitemodel.fr/, which's URL is actually different to it's site name, "Elite Paris".

which ones of these would be acceptable?

management.elitemodel.fr
Elite Paris
elitemodel.fr

Thanks

09-07-2009
Soviet Camaro

In the first case, either of the following is correct:

imgmodels
imgmodels.com

When the site is a .com, adding the extension is optional.

In the second example, the correct credit would be

management.elitemodel.fr

Quote:
Site names need to be spelled out in full ... and if the extension is not ".com" please add the extension

fashion elite

ok, thanks

18-07-2009

Quote:
Site names need to be spelled out in full ... and if the extension is not ".com" please add the extension
I would hope that every credit should write whole, even if it would be ".com"
I feel it illogical to write address whole sometimes and sometimes not, i found those post were wrong credited before I read this thread. But maybe it is just me.

Last edited by Annu; 18-07-2009 at 04:38 AM.
18-07-2009
Confused & Bewildered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annu View Post
I would hope that every credit should write whole, even if it would be ".com"
Agreed. The full URL should be there, .com or otherwise.

18-07-2009
Confused & Bewildered

Mods Deleting Links
I've seen several threads lately with an admonishment from a Mod about posting clickable links and the link completely deleted which puts the post/poster in violation of the credits policy.

It seems many of the posters here aren't all that tech savvy about board software and how to edit links to make them static and non-clickable. It isn't difficult, but they just don't know how much to delete. This board automatically parses (converts) URL to clickable links without any effort or intent from the poster. Even without the http:/ /, I've seen the board parse URLs as clickable links if they include the www. before the main URL.

It seems it would be more appropriate for the Mods to edit the link by removing the parseable portion rather than deleting the entire URL.

For those unfamiliar (links deliberately broken with spaces):

htt p://www.url.tld would turn into a clickable link
ww w.url.tld might also.
url.tld will not be clickable, but it still provides the full web address which can be copied and pasted into the address bar to go to the site.

Note: Some web servers will not recognize addesses without the www. portion, so that may have to be added back in. Without it you may get a '404 Page Not Found' error. There are quite a few U.S. Government websites that require the www.

18-07-2009
neorealismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
This board automatically parses (converts) URL to clickable links without any effort or intent from the poster. Even without the http:/ /, I've seen the board parse URLs as clickable links if they include the www. before the main URL.
Here's what I do if the link without the http:// is clickable and I can't change it: I use the 'Preview Post' option and then edit the link (remove underline and make it black)

18-07-2009
Confused & Bewildered

One other note. This is the only board I've seen that requires static (non-clickable) URLs as credits and takes Mod action against active links. It's a bit of an anomaly as far as rules go, so it stands to reason that some posters aren't used to it. Many boards require the link to be active.

18-07-2009

What is the reason why credit needs to be non-clickable?

lady of the flowers

where have you seen that a mod deletes the link and leave the post uncredited?

we don't delete the link, we make it 'un-clickable'.

you only have to remove the http : / / www.

18-07-2009
V.I.P.

It's tricky to remove a link ... and we have new mods, so there is the possibilty that they have accidentally removed the entire credit, when they intended just to remove the link form the source.

So ... if you see any like that (source edited out completely, in error), just use the Report Post feature and we'll see what we can do to get it corrected. At the very least, we can do some review training for any new mod who needs it.

Yes ... it is an anomolly that we do not want clickable links as credits. But we work very closely with our members untill they understand it and are able to do it without a problem.

The reason behind that has to do with spammers that we have finally been able to get under control ... by insitututing that rule. We do not have the resources to check every clickable link to see where it leads, so we could not make a rule for some people but not others and then be able to enforce it. It's fair this way ... and easy to understand and a lot easier to moderate. It's simple ... no clickable links as credits ... period.

Last edited by BetteT; 29-07-2009 at 05:15 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clickable, credits, learning, links, rule, sources