How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-10-2013
front row

All cool. It wasn't a warning but merely a note to say that a post had been deleted for excessive brevity. Fair enough. Having run a couple of forums in my time, there is a need to discourage the "Oooh!", "Ah!" and "Wow!" posts so if other posts fall foul of the necessary rules, so be it. Thanks to Tangerine of the Mod Squad for taking the time to explain it nicely to me.

07-10-2013
V.I.P.

Prosper,

Thank you for posting this for other members to learn about this issue.

I've always appreciated your contributions. They are on topic, thoughtful and offer good insight. So, it's surprising to learn that you had a a post removed for brevity.

But I'm glad you understand why this happens from time to time. We usually reserve it for those posters who seem to do this excessively.

Our reasons are twofold; first, we want to encourage our members to contribute something of value and more importantly, whenever someone posts in a thread it triggers other members subscriptions and they are emailed. We have had members complain that it's frustrating to get an email, to check in only to find a comment like "Wow!" or "Hate it!" which is not of much interest to them.

But you clearly don't fall into the "excessive empty post" syndrome ... so I'm guessing that the moderator was just cleaning up a thread and remove a whole slew of "empty posts" and yours was among them.

07-10-2013
V.I.P.

It was me who removed it. Ever since the creation of Fashion In Depth we have removed all posts that, as stated in the rules of that area, provide little and incite others to do exactly what made us create a section like that in the first place, which is empty posting and lots of claps and 'agreed!', it's been an outlet for the remaining members in the community that wanted to discuss topics in depth and 3 years later it maintains a good level of discussion precisely for the way the admittedly pedantic rules there have blocked what the majority of the forum suffers from. And this is a result of enforcing the policy there equally from day one, not really mindless clean-up routine... personally I don't run some background check and remove someone's posts and leave the next identical one simply based on industry credentials and whatnot... I value longtime contributors but the smarter and more mature they are, the more I know they'll understand certain measures. I also think it's disrespectful, to put it nicely, for the member that is being removed to see someone's similar post being untouched just because the moderator has seen great posts by that member. I apply that logic with warnings and reminders, when you're going to affect the membership status of someone and treat him as a disruptive member when he's contributed vastly... no really with some auto notification.

We have all been edited or deleted at some point (yes, even moderators), it's not an excuse but it is a sign that, for better or for worse (and mostly because the higher the rank the more petulant), when it comes to standard moderation, there are no privileges based on personal achievements, past contributions, age or status and tfs, after many years and all kinds of visits, continues to welcome and treat people equally.

Sidenote: You have great posts, zero personal problems with you and I'm sorry if you took it that way initially. I'd appreciate the CV challenge but I'm aiming for the social sciences field myself (and Vogue somehow resembles more my nightmares than professional dreams), so you have an automatic win!

front row

I got a wide smile from that one, Mulletproof. Cheers! And thanks to you both for the kind words. If anything I inflict on the general populace here ends up being useful in terms of helping people avoid pitfalls and elephant traps, that's enough for me.

I have rarely been accused of brevity...

I think I am going to print it out and wave it at all the people who tell me I talk too much.

:-)

Last edited by prosperk; 07-10-2013 at 03:07 PM.
23-11-2013
trendsetter

Rumor thread
What is the point of having a rumor thread if one can't post on it? I posted kate upton would be on cover of US vogue first but it was taken down because of no proof. I cannot say my industry source. Now I put up something about an agency change and it was also deleted. I didn't put it on the mega agency thread but the info is very true, WHY can't it stay on a thread for rumors at least?

24-11-2013
clever ain't wise

Where did you post this rumor? We should have a collection thread for that kind of rumor and we are working on that. In the meantime, lets see where your post got deleted.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 24-11-2013 at 11:13 AM.
24-11-2013
V.I.P.

All members agree to abide by the Community Rules. The very first rule covers this very thing:
Quote:
All information submitted to The Fashion Spot Forums (stories, articles, etc.) must be from a credible source (newspaper, online magazine, fashion magazine, books, photo agency, model agencies, etc.). Gossip is hearsay and these forums are provided for our member to discuss credible information. Therefore, we ask our members to have reliable sources for any information that they contribute to the discussions.
The Fashion Spot has a reputation in the fashion community for cooperating with the major magazines and other copyright holders and of not being a "gossip" site. We are here primarily for fashion ... not for gossip. If you have inside information that has not been released, we do not want you to post it here ... it could be legally damaging for us.

Yes ... we have a forum called "Rumor Has It" but it's for documented rumors that have been published. It's a place to play a little for our members but it's only a side forum ... not our focus. The general public can not see it ... it's visible only to members.

Last edited by BetteT; 24-11-2013 at 02:50 PM.
24-11-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
All members agree to abide by the Community Rules. The very first rule covers this very thing:

The Fashion Spot has a reputation in the fashion community for cooperating with the major magazines and other copyright holders and of not being a "gossip" site. We are here primarily for fashion ... not for gossip. If you have inside information that has not been released, we do not want you to post it here ... it could be legally damaging for us.

Yes ... we have a forum called "Rumor Has It" but it's for documented rumors that have been published. It's a place to play a little for our members but it's only a side forum ... not our focus. The general public can not see it ... it's visible only to members.
So a rumor that may not be true but is published CAN be put on the site but some information that is true but not published CANNOT is that correct?

25-11-2013
.my prison is your brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab348 View Post
So a rumor that may not be true but is published CAN be put on the site but some information that is true but not published CANNOT is that correct?
We have plenty of members who are connected to the industry here, none of whom have a problem with this rule.

As Bette explained to you, we have no way of knowing if a member truly has inside information. By posting from a source it protects The Fashion Spot legally.

The Fashion Spot should not be used to push people's professional politics or agendas.

26-11-2013
V.I.P.

Correct, Heather. Thank you.

We do not want to be the "source" of unsubstantiated rumors. If it's published somewhere else ... tFS is not the source. That is why we insist that members post their sources.

We might allow an "insider" member to break some news, if that member is willing come forward with their real name in the post, citing their source , such as posting a name of someone who works at the company. We, of course, would need to verify it, first ... with that "source" ... before the post goes up.

Most insiders don't want to do this ... they know that the information they share is actually not allowed to be put out there yet. The consequences would be severe ... they would most likely loose their job .. and it might even bring legal charges against them.

We do not want our members to do anything that is not legal and ethical ... it's not good for tFS and it's certainly not good for our members.

27-11-2013
front row

Quite so. Bette is spot on with this. Of course, as the Wikileaks cases indicate, legality and ethics are rare bedfellows. But discussion forums are not really the ideal venue for revealing insider stories, unless one writes in generalities, without naming participants, which I did the other day with an anecdote involving blatant racism. Sure, anyone with a handle on the business and on me might deduce what I was talking about and who the players might have been but it's not actionable. If you have controversial stories to tell and insider sources to protect, set up a Google Blog. Google are notorious for not censoring users, unless they are inciting illegal activity. But remember that your target(s) can do the same back to you if you tick them off.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tFS Mod Squad
Hello,

One of your posts has been deleted by a forum moderator. Please review our community rules. The reason for the deletion follows at the end of this message.
tFS Mod Squad

Reason:
Off-topic Discussion

Referring link:
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/sho...php?p=12549085
Why is my post the only one deleted?

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoedele View Post
Why is my post the only one deleted?
you commented in the kim kardashian thread.

your post was largely about the olsen twins and their fans.

any off topic remarks (ie discussion of fandoms rather than personal style of the celebrity etc.) may be removed.

if you have a problem with a post and see that it violates one of our community rules please report it rather than discussing the matter in one of our threads.

we don't comment on other member's potential infractions so i cannot inform you if other posts were removed or not.

Last edited by lucy92; 20-06-2014 at 12:56 PM.
02-07-2014
V.I.P.

Heya - I had a several posts deleted and I am confused by the reason why.

Hello,

One of your posts has been deleted by a forum moderator. Please review our community rules. The reason for the deletion follows at the end of this message.
tFS Mod Squad

Reason:
Improper credit - Name the source, but do not include a link in your credit.

Referring link:
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/sho...php?p=12577033

All that I posted was a link (because I didn't have time to upload)

Example :

Haley is included in the New Madison couture package...
http://i.models.com/oftheminute/imag.../010_Haley.jpg

Thanks

V.I.P.

Hmm .... this is a bit confusing and possibly the mod made a mistake in the choice of the "reason". There's a long list and the mod just has to check one ... sometimes we miss and check the wrong one.

I see that you were not crediting your source ... but were actually posting a link in lieu of the actual pics.

There is no actual rule against posting a link, but we prefer our members to post the actual pictures, so that they become part of our archives in case the other site takes it down. And if members do this a lot, we usually talk to them and ask them not to do that.

I don't think that this has been a problem with you in the past, but since it was several all at once, I think that became a bit of an issue. If you have time later to post the pictures, that would really be appreciated.

Last edited by BetteT; 02-07-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, answer, delete, deleted, info, moderators, post, privacy, read, thread