How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-04-2011
V.I.P.

Ok ... since you opted to take it public ... Here is the comment that members found offensive:
Quote:
All I can think of now is the two of them starring in the next Planet of the Apes movie which will feature a lavish wedding on the French Riviera.
Granted, it was in response to another offensive remark ... but that was also removed for the same reason.

If you can't understand why many people would find giving an opinion that you think they look like monkeys offensive (it's considered racist by some), just accept the fact that people were offended, even if that was not your intention.

Last edited by BetteT; 22-04-2011 at 02:46 PM.

22-04-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
As far as reporting that post, there are mod comments in that thread and they are in and around some of the posts that I am referring to and also the thread is a spin off of the model's thread and negative comments about guy(s) who were mis-identified as the man in question were brought over, so even though I found those comments offensive and cringe-worthy, I assumed that I needed to get over my squeamishness on that front.
Even though Bette and Tangerine have cleared this up, I'd like to add a bit more on this: No mods were participating in any of the negative exchanges about Natasha Poly's partner, I cleaned up the thread about an hour ago and the two moderators participating in the discussion didn't make a mention of Natasha's partner's appearance, trust me on this one.

Also, and because I noticed you also mentioned this a couple days ago in another thread of this area, just because one offense may trigger some more, it does not make the offense.. less of an offense!, regardless of the status of the participants (moderator or regular member), if you find something offensive, the right thing is to report it, a report gets more than one moderator's attention, we discuss it (just like we discussed this) and see how we handle it, if what you are reporting is indeed against our rules and a moderator is in the middle of it, he/she will hear from the rest of the team.

One more thing I find important to mention is that when a thread is getting out of hand or reaching an offensive level, the latest major offenses will be removed as an immediate action to control the discussion and not encourage any more comments of the same nature. Sometimes threads are long or too intricate or time-consuming so what a mod usually does is that he notifies other mods in case someone has the time to do a profound clean-up.. the whole organization takes hours, sometimes even a couple of days (especially around or during the weekend).. what's important is to get the thread back on track as soon as possible, older offenses aren't really catastrophic (but still on the risk of being quoted at any moment).. and that's the reason why older offenses stay for days sometimes (or are forgotten) and the latest pages of the thread receive stricter measures.

V.I.P.

Tangerine and BetteT, I apologize for being such a high maintenance member this week.

I totally get (in retrospect and in isolation) why some would deem the post offensive even though I did not intend for it to be and I totally support taking action based on how something is received rather than intended, I was just thrown off about that particular post vis a vis other posts in the thread, but of course my POV is shaped by my knowing what my intent was and what I had posted before.

Mulletproof thanks for your comments and explanation, and for the record I was not trying to imply that mods were making those type of comments nor was I trying to play the "I get to be bad because other kids are being bad" card. I apologize that you had to spend so much time on this matter, however even if my intent was not ill, if my post triggered a removal of comments (and I am not suggesting that there were tons of them) about the loved one and the ones who share his name then that's a good thing.

Last edited by agee; 22-04-2011 at 05:36 PM.
23-04-2011
V.I.P.

Appology accepted ... and you have every right to ask anytime you don't understand. I'm glad you can see it from our angle, after MP explained the process.

Your post did not start this problem ... so it wasn't a huge deal to us. But stopping the conversation along this line of thought was imperative.

28-05-2011
scenester

I had a comment on the Star Style thread for Johnny Depp. I don't know if it was deleted or I didn't save it correctly. If it was deleted will you please tell me what happened? I don't remember writing much on the comment. Thanks.

29-05-2011
V.I.P.

This one? http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f50...ml#post9078431 This is 3 pages back ... you posted it about 3 weeks ago. That's the only post you made in that thread and it was not deleted.

31-05-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
This one? http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f50...ml#post9078431 This is 3 pages back ... you posted it about 3 weeks ago. That's the only post you made in that thread and it was not deleted.
Yes. I thought it was on a different page. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

17-06-2011
V.I.P.

Hello,

I posted a thread in the Rumor Has it Section that has seemed to disappeared (thus, be deleted)...and I was wonderin why? it was regarding a Yahoo Story on their main page...If someone could inform, I would greatly appreciate it...I don't think it's fair to just delete people's threads without explanation. Thanks

V.I.P.

Sorry .. when threads are removed, we don't have a mechanisim to notify members ... because we don't delete the first post of a thread (for admin and tech reasons). And it's deleted posts that send a notification. Threads are just moved to a non accessible forum. Anytime you want to know why something was removed, just PM any moderator and they can find out for you.

However, since you posted this publically, I'll be happy to explain here:

It was removed because it was not about a celebrity or a model ... just an ordinary person on a train who was filmed without her knowledge ... so it was more or less "off topic". Just because it's in the news or on Yahoo's front page, doesn't automatically make it appropriate content for the Fashion Spot. We really do want to keep our communty to be primarily about fashion and fashion related issues.

Also, we felt, because the topic of that person's rant (her "class" & education) and the fact that the people shown in the video were of different races, that the topic would most likely result in racist remarks and arguments. It was decided to remove this inflamitory material to prevent having a mud slinging brawl on our hands, such as the one which occurred and raged on for weeks about John Galliano.

Last edited by BetteT; 18-06-2011 at 01:31 PM.
18-06-2011
V.I.P.

There happens to be a few threads in the Rumor Has it Section that don't have to do with celebrities or models, for example the Sun Storm 2012 thread that was re-edited and merged with the thread discussing the end of the world in 2012. Though, I can see why that would be kept, (there are even a few threads on the first page of that section of the forum that don't necessarily have to do with models or celebrities-more so backdoor celebrities and random stories that are talk of the internet as of late), I still think that if there is a strict provision entailing that only model and celebrity rumor threads should be created, that there shouldn't be any exceptions.

Also, if I can use the chance to be so forthright and outspoken, why should we as a discussion forum feel the need to walk such a tight rope when it comes to the types of discussions/topics we choose to address? I know what the greater part of the answer-this is a very large forum and in order to maintain a certain credibility it's essential to avoid topics that may cause tension and negativity amongst members. But I mean come on-leave a little more legroom for freedom of speech! I feel like tFS as a whole has taken a step backwards, rather than a step forward. I don't think the alternative to resolving an issue a moderation team may have with a thread that may involve racial and/or social class should be deleting the thread, killing it off and burying it, which seems to be the answer to a lot of things around here lately. Heck, I don't know the answer to everything, but I know something's got to give at some point or another. Maybe it may mean closer observation to certain threads that may discuss topics that are more likely to become ugly, but I think that something about tFS is changing a little too much for me...it's almost like a loss of character and integrity.

All in all, I understand what you and the moderation team are saying and where you are coming from, but it almost feels like we aren't allowed to talk about anything anymore, or express our views about anything anymore.-that is, without heavy censorship. Yes, it's a fashion forum, but there's so much more to see and talk about here than fashion. ETA: I know I kind of went off topic (again), but I want to express that my argument wasn't at all about the sake of a youtube video or a yahoo article, but tFS's principle.

Last edited by Mchunu; 18-06-2011 at 05:48 PM.
20-06-2011
Soviet Camaro

We try to give members as much leeway as practical to discuss items of interest.

We have found through years of experience that some topics predictably veer into circular arguments that only seem to inflame people and result in personal attacks.

All threads are dealt with on a case by case basis and usually it is only when a topic has derailed that moderators post warnings in the thread to stay on topic. After that, if off-topic discussion and/or personal attacks continue, the thread may be closed or removed.

The thread that you started about the woman on the train had no potential for any positive discussion that we could see. It was simply an invitation for people to bash her for her rudeness, or to defend her on grounds of discrimination. We are not interested in hosting topics like this.

We are sensitive to the issues you bring up. We consciously and constantly walk the line between allowing people to express opinions and keeping things orderly. For every person that complains that we are too restrictive, there is another who compliments us on keeping the forums friendly and relatively free of trolls and flamers. We know we cannot please everyone all the time. Feel free to continue to offer suggestions or critiques, but please accept that the moderating team reserves the right to make final decisions on content.

Last edited by tangerine; 20-06-2011 at 01:31 PM.
24-06-2011
V.I.P.

Sometimes I have had posts being deleted for reasons beyond my understanding. The most recent one:

Quote:
Reason:
Off Topic Discussion

Referring link:
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/sho....php?p=9294435
If I remember correctly I posted Siri's Haute Couture F/W 2011-2012 Showcard and I don't understand how it is possibly off topic?

24-06-2011
Soviet Camaro

^ You posted in Siri TollerÝd's thread, but it was Svea Kloosterhof's showcard.

V.I.P.

Posting in the wrong thread, how embarrassing I'm sorry.

26-06-2011
trendsetter

Erm, my post was deleted, I think?
Could someone please tell me what happened to it? I was asking for votes for a fashion-related competition... is that against the rules or something?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, answer, deleted, info, post, privacy, thread