How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-11-2011
front row

I couldn't find a right place to ask about, so i'm gonna do it here: why could happend if the moderators deleted an entire thread? It happens months ago in the Fashion in Deep's thread Fashion and Fur. The last thing I remember is that i post a pic of a fur farm and the next day i couldn't see any entry and then the entire thread dissapear. I would like to know what happend in that case. Thanks.

13-11-2011
V.I.P.

That thread was always turning into a political discussion and some members felt the need to rally thier "no fur" cause by posting highly inflamitory comments and images. Arguing over a cause ... any cause ... is considered political and it's never allowed on tFS.

The moderators had to clean up that thread several times, posted notices not to dicsuss these issues but several members continued to ruin the thread for everyone else. As a result we decided that the thread had to go.

13-11-2011
front row

Thank you.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Hello,

One of your posts has been deleted by a forum moderator. Please review our community rules. The reason for the deletion follows at the end of this message.
tFS Mod Squad

Reason:
Powerposting

Read more: the Fashion Spot - Community Rules Reminder http://forums.thefashionspot.com/pri...#ixzz1dme9sx4B
I just posted a png pic of Kristen Stewart - and I was already editing the post (within the timelimit of 10 minutes) and it was deleted!!!!

It was only ONE picture!!!!!

15-11-2011
.my prison is your brain.

The issue is your picture did not show up.

Here was your entire post:
Quote:
Taping Ellen - todotwilightsaga
Because there was no picture, it looked like you were saying she was taping Ellen, which was already known information.

Feel free to repost your picture.

15-11-2011
V.I.P.

I know, that's why I was trying to edit it.

Thx anyway!

15-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora View Post
I know, that's why I was trying to edit it.

Thx anyway!
feel free to also use the "preview post" option before submitting a post if you need extra time or to make sure photos are attached etc.

rising star

as I can't reply to mod messages:

Hello,

My post is deleted because it probably was a little bit to big, but that was always adjusted automatically, so I don't really see the problem. I am not a computer wizz-kid, so it is a lot of trouble for me to adjust the pictures to the right size, I come here to enjoy fashion and not to count pixels. I have always loved adding things to the community here, but because of these rules I think it is too much trouble to post them. I think this will make other people rethink about posting their outfits here, because it is more quiet on the WAYWT lately.
So no more pics for me, because of these (in my eyes) too strict rules.

best, angela

Quote:
Originally Posted by tFS Mod Squad
Hello,

One of your posts has been deleted by a forum moderator. Please review our community rules. The reason for the deletion follows at the end of this message.
tFS Mod Squad

Reason:
Image Size/Page Format

Referring link:
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/sho....php?p=9950377

20-11-2011
V.I.P.

There is a very good reason for the rule that says that pictures should not be bigger than 800x800 pixels. And it's the same reason we ask our members to remove images when they quote another member (the link to the oiginal image will still be there, if someone wants to see it). The reasons is to keep bandwidth draw down, so that the forums function quickly and properly. We have expanded to over 60,000 members and we often have over 1,000 of them on line at any given time ... so bandwidth is often challenged. The company that owns us has ugraded our systems about once a year to accomodate this, but we continue to grow, non stop ... and it always is a challenge to keep tFS up and running.

The bigger the image, the longer it takes for someone to download that whole page, when they are in the thread. It doesn't matter that the system shrunk it ... the bandwidth is still as big as ever.

We don't usually do anything about it unless the image (or multiple images, which only magnifies the problem) is hanging things up. If an image is something like 1200 by 900 and it's only one image in the post ... it's usually not a huge problem. But some people post things that are 3 times the allowed size or post a series of big pictures and it creates major problems for other members. We often get complaints from members because it's taking too long to download the page ... sometimes as much as a few minutes. So, it's then that we step in and remove it ... to free up the thread for the other members.

So, most of our members who post pictures have some sort of photo editing tool ... photoshop, or just something that comes with your digital camera ... and the know to use it. Or, they post thumbnails, generated by the image hosting sites they use. Almost all hosting sites provide codes for thumbnails on any pictures you have hosted there. Thumnails are small ... a minimal draw on our bandwidth ... but they will include a link to the big image, which is hosted on that service. They are set up to handle these huge bandwidth draws since that is all they do ... host images.

Last edited by BetteT; 20-11-2011 at 12:51 PM.
07-12-2011
PrettySmileyStew ♥

I just got a notice for a deleted post in the robert pattinson thread and went to the link and saw my lastest post gone..

Just wondering how talking about the fit of his pants is off topic ?

there were two parts of my post, the first could have been edited but the whole thing didnt need to be.. thw fit of his pants regards to his style doesnt it?

07-12-2011
.my prison is your brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourmefashion View Post
there were two parts of my post, the first could have been edited but the whole thing didnt need to be.. thw fit of his pants regards to his style doesnt it?
You are basically admitting you know what you did wrong, "off topic discussion", so why come here and ask about it?

Moderators shouldn't have to edit posts, we do that when appropriate and, yes, sometimes as a courtesy if we feel the circumstance warrants it.

Last edited by HeatherAnne; 07-12-2011 at 12:04 PM.
07-12-2011
V.I.P.

Yeah, it's up to each moderator's discretion to choose whether to edit or delete the whole post. Truth be told, if you have a bit of a history, there will be absolutely no considerations. If you have more than just 'a bit' of history, one slip like that actually gets you banned. After easily more than 50 private messages from the moderator team recommending you to read the guidelines for taking things off-topic, we expect the member not to keep on doing it.. needless to say, if they do keep on doing it, the "nicest" thing to do is really just removing the post, because what you should actually be getting is what's next on the warning/reminder system.

PrettySmileyStew ♥

thats actually the first one ive gotten since ive been back

i still made a point to talk about his style for most of the post so i personally dont think it was necessary to delete the whole post for like one sentence.

mods obviously see it differently, thanks anyway.

09-12-2011
An die Freude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
Yeah, it's up to each moderator's discretion to choose whether to edit or delete the whole post. Truth be told, if you have a bit of a history, there will be absolutely no considerations. If you have more than just 'a bit' of history, one slip like that actually gets you banned. After easily more than 50 private messages from the moderator team recommending you to read the guidelines for taking things off-topic, we expect the member not to keep on doing it.. needless to say, if they do keep on doing it, the "nicest" thing to do is really just removing the post, because what you should actually be getting is what's next on the warning/reminder system.
I think if a member receives 50 warnings and reminders that person should be long banned. Everyone makes mistakes occasionally and posts something that is against the guidelines.

But 30, 40, 50 warnings are just too much.

I know a couple of old members who stopped posting on tfs because of overly rude posts and too much stanning in the threads ("I hate that model" "Why did this **** model get this campaign again " etc etc)

It would help tfs if those members get at least temporarily banned - like a month or so. Other boards (like Neogaf.com) do it and it keeps the quality up and creates a more sane and civilized community (with less stanning).

A handful of members - always the same ones - really diminish the quality of this board with their posts.

Last edited by candlebougie; 09-12-2011 at 02:02 AM.
09-12-2011
V.I.P.

We don't issue 50 warnings ... we issue only 2 before a member is temporarily banned. What MulletProof is referring to is a whole slew of deleted or edited posts, plus a few reminders of the rules ... before we even send warnings. Plus she was exagerating a bit ... to make her point to the person she was addressing.

In fact, sometimes will will do a casual PM first, before sending any reminders (especially if it's a new member) ... to let the member know what the rules are and to advise them what we'd like them to change. But no one is banned without plenty of notification about the rules and being referred to the process about to unfold.

Well, I take that back ... we do immediatly ban spammers and trolls when they first join and we see what they are up to. And we have the right to ban without notice, under extreme circumstances. But 99% of the time we follow a very precise process which is laid out clearly in the Community Rules, where every member can see it.

Here is the process that we follow:

Notifications of deleted posts, then PMs and/or reminders are sent ... no specific number. It depends on how serious the violations are, how much they disrupt the threads and how much moderator time it takes.

When a member gets a lot of these, is being reported a lot and creates problems in the threads on a regular basis, we will step it up to a warning. We make sure that they have been instructed about the rules via a reminder or PM first ... no warnings are issued without prior communications about the rules.

If it continues or some other serious problem pops up, we issue a second formal warning.

Then ... we will move to a temporary ban.

Upon their return, the member has only one chance left .... they can be permanently banned for any violation of the rules.

You are correct ... usually they problem gets better after they have a temporary ban, because now they understand that we are serious and will ban them, if it continues. But our goal is not to ban them, ultimately. The goal is to educate them, give them time to absorb what type of behaviour is acceptable at tFS, and for them to choose to turn it around. That takes time ... but we are often successful in working with problematic members so that they choose to follow the rules and guidlines and become better members.

I beleive the tFS's 67,000 members are mostly well mannered members who are participating in a positive way. But, yeah ... it's always just a handful who are creating problems ... and one by one, we deal with them and they either get in line or are banned. It takes time ... we try to be fair and give them a chance to correct it ... but we get it done, sooner or later.

It's always confidential, unless a member announces that they have had trouble in a thread. So, normally other members really don't have any idea what we have done with any particular member. But rest assured ... the really troublesome ones are on our radar and are on track to either change or get banned.

Last edited by BetteT; 09-12-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, answer, delete, deleted, info, moderators, post, privacy, read, thread