How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-12-2011
V.I.P.

Thank you for explaining that, Bette.

One small thing though, I was not exaggerating when I mentioned 50 moderator PMs, even if it is just an automatic message what a member receives and not an official warning, it is still a moderator notice that resulted from a moderator action and that should at least receive consideration and not be ignored, clearly there are members that read it (I assume candlebougie is one of them), know what they were contacted for and evidently don't become repeated 'offenders'. We have members that have received over 300 moderator notices, absolutely no effort from their side or even a tiny consideration to how they're dragging the community with their posting-style, it's just all about them and their favorite threads or like candlebougie mentions, their favorite models, which is very selfish.

Unfortunately, the fact that they are all over the place also makes them very difficult to monitor, you're pretty much chasing babies, which doesn't mean we don't try but it's very very time-consuming, especially because their offenses are sometimes nowhere to be found on the guidelines.

10-12-2011
An die Freude.

Thanks for the information, mods!

Good to know that you are aware of the problem and dealing with it (even if it is difficult and time-consuming).

12-12-2011
V.I.P.

I had a post deleted in the Sasha P. pregnancy thread on Rumor Has It simply because I asked if she was married and it was deemed "off-topic." I'm confused by this--it's a thread dealing with a personal issue in her life and I was curious if she was married or in a relationship, which is relevant. Normally, I let this stuff go, but this seemed a bit over-the-top.

12-12-2011
V.I.P.

It was a simple question thus it was quite evident you wanted to talk about her marriage instead of pregnancy. It is not uncommon to derail threads like that (most recently the Loulou de la Falaise thread with just one innocent question too), and not entirely relevant considering the course of the discussion. Feel free to post the question in her main thread. And don't let stuff like this go that often, cause if it tends to happen frequently, especially in areas like Rumor Has It, it's probably more problematic than it seems.

V.I.P.

A mod asked the same exact question as me in the thread and someone answered it, so I'm still not sure what the problem was. But I'm over it now. Thanks for your response!

22-12-2011
V.I.P.

so my post was delete it in this thread.

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/sho...php?p=10061805

if i remember right.i only write Candice n Joan. as the thread title ask who would you likew to see in the cover of american vogue. n it said it was power posting?
can you guys tell me what did i do do wrong?

V.I.P.

Here's your post:

Quote:
JOANDICE! Joan & Candice!!

make it happen Anna!
"Powerposting" is very very hard to define and therefore different moderators may see it slightly differntly. So it's almost impossible for us to be consistent when removing posts for power posting. But it's pretty easy to tell when a post is just an "empty post".

It's just an exclamation, more than an opinion. Maybe you do this a lot, so probably the moderator wanted to let you know that you need to take it easy and post thoughtful opinions instead.

To me, your post looked like it was just an outburst that really said this: "Rah, rah!! Look at the funny word I made up in fun!" rather than being a serious opinion. If you had phrased it differently, it would be much better. Maybe something like this: "I'd love to see either Joan or Candice on the cover because ...." and offer your reason.

Here's a loose definition of powerposting/empty posts:
  • Power posting / Empty posts ... frequent and repeated posts that do not contribute to the conversation nor provide new content. New posts trigger subscription emails which can become a nuisance for other members if the posts are frequent but don't contribute to the discussion in any way. Please consider other members before you post. Make it worth their while to be emailed via their subscriptions.
  • Instead, we encourage you to contribute information and/or pictures and to participate in meaningful conversation.
  • Use your judgment when posting just smilies or responses with few words that do not add to the discussion.

Last edited by BetteT; 23-12-2011 at 01:42 PM.
28-12-2011
V.I.P.

Hi,

My post was deleted as off-topic discussion, when all I did was post a pic of Blake and Ryan on a X-Mas dinner.

If other people can't keep their discussion off the relationship, I do not see why should I be punished for this???!!!!!

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/sho...php?p=10084479

Also, my other post on: Steven Tyler Engaged to Erin Brady was deleted as "spamming". I don't see anything wrong with this, as there are also some other threads mainly similar, such as DeNiro becoming a father. Why was my post considered as spam????

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/sho...php?p=10084315

28-12-2011
.my prison is your brain.

Other members have kept their talk off Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds relationship for the most part. You posted a blurry personal picture of them at a dinner table. All comments regarding it were removed along with your image.

Steven Tyler has never been discussed on tFS, so a thread for him in Rumor Has It was not necessary. I agree, the Robert DeNiro thread should be removed for the same reason, so I will.

You don't need to come here every time a post is removed. When you have a tendency to make posts of a gossipy nature you just need to accept that some will be removed, moderators don't need to spend time explaining their actions for such posts.

28-12-2011
V.I.P.

Please remember that the Star Style forum is dedicated to celebrities' style ... what they wear, their hair, their makeup, etc. It is not the place for gossip topics, therefore those comments and photos may be removed, if a moderator notices them. If a posted photo encourages other members to go off topic, we will certainly remove it along with all the off topic chatter it started.

Rumor Has It is only an overflow forum for information about people who have threads in Star Style, Behind the Lens and Supporting Cast. It's mainly for those celebrities who are considered more or less fashion people (in the biz or known for there personal style), a separate place for discussions that don't fit into the other fashion oriented forums.

Remember ... we are a fashion forum ... not a gossip forum. There needs to be some sort of fashion connection or the subject might not qualify. So, it's up to the discretion of the moderators as to what may be posted in Rumor Has It.

As I've said many times before, moderators don't catch every off topic post ... they can only spot check. So members will see some posts that are off topic or inappropriate for the forum they are in ... some that we just didn't see and we ask those members to assist us in keeping the fashion threads about fashion by using the "report post" feature to bring off topic or inappropriate posts to our attention. It take all the members working together as a team to keep this place organized and about fashion.

03-01-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Well, I take that back ... we do immediatly ban spammers and trolls when they first join and we see what they are up to. And we have the right to ban without notice, under extreme circumstances. But 99% of the time we follow a very precise process which is laid out clearly in the Community Rules, where every member can see it.
I think the trolling issue is really high in the Candice Swanepoel thread (the usual HF vs commercial debate).

My recent post got me a warning even though I was not specifically aiming it at any particular person (in fact there were 3 people who were trolling the board), but rather lamenting at the fact these are the same people who come in and post the same negative opinions of this model.

And I'm fine with the warning if it's really warranted (which I don't agree with) but the individual offenders I feel are not being reminded of any community rules (are there any??) of going into a specific thread and essentially bashing the model over and over again...and if that's the case, I don't think they're being contacted about that.

03-01-2012
I don't know

^
1. You actually can't tell if/how we're dealing with the other members. And like Bette said, the process is laid out very clearly in our community rules. Just because a member is still posting it doesn't mean we're not dealing with them.

2. We do have community rules regarding continual negativity/bashing. The only difficulty is that it requires a greater overview of a single member's posts over a period of time, something we can miss as mods if we're not ourselves participating actively in that particular thread.

The best thing possible you can do when you spot these 'trolls' is not to call it out in the thread but to use the report post function. To this we will then deal with the members accordingly. This is a large forum with a large number of threads, we do our best to spot everything but we can't be everywhere at once unfortunately.

And again, I promise you, the best way possible to help us spot members continually bashing a certain model/celebrity/brand etc is to use the report post function which you can see underneath their userinformation.

I hope that helped clearing it up

Last edited by saann; 03-01-2012 at 12:13 PM.
04-01-2012
V.I.P.

Maybe I did not make myself clear ... so here's some clarification.

1. If we catch a brand new member "trolling" (it has to be extreme ... such as hijacking several threads or starting arguments in various places within a few hours span ... basically an attack ot tFS) we will ban them immediately But in most cases we give members many chances to learn the rules and to correct their behaviour before they are banned. It's fairer that way to give everyone the same opportunity to learn about the rules.

2. When I said "where every member can see it" I am talking about every member being able to review the "process" leading to a ban, as it's laid out in the Community Rules. I'm not talking about any members being able to see what reminders or warnings that another member has gotten ... they cannot ... it's confidential, unless they choose to publicize thier negative record in this thread.

Here is the process:
Quote:
The process we follow if members fail to follow the Community Rules:

Members should note that tFS runs on an automated reminder and warning system.

A “Reminder” has no points and is given to allow members to familiarize themselves with the Community Rules, without any penalty.

However, if a member has repeated violations of the rules after receiving one or more “Reminders” or commits a more serious violation, it will be addressed by a “Formal Warning”.

When members have had 2 “Formal Warnings”, their membership privileges may be suspended for a period of up to 3 months on the next violation. Upon their return to tFS after a temporary ban, a violation of any rule, at any time in the future, may result in a permanent ban. Members’ first 2 “Formal Warnings” are active for 6 months. So with good behavior, they will start to fall off and no longer count towards a temporary suspension and/or a permanent ban. See note below. *

However, if a temporarily banned/suspended member chooses to come back after his/her first ban/suspension, the next violation (any type; indefinitely) may result in a ban that is permanent.

* Please note: Formal warnings, suspension and banning will take place if members fail to follow tFS Community Rules. The Fashion Spot reserves the right to suspend/ban any member for breaking any of the community rules and sometimes, in extreme cases, without formal warnings.

Last edited by BetteT; 04-01-2012 at 09:05 PM.
12-01-2012
V.I.P.

Excuse me, but why my last post in the Nikola's thread was deleted?

Last edited by christian zh; 12-01-2012 at 02:04 PM.
12-01-2012
.my prison is your brain.

^ It wasn't a big deal.

You commented that the posts didn't work, then you commented that they did, so I removed the chatter (between you and I as it was useless). Yep, I deleted my post too.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, answer, delete, deleted, info, moderators, post, privacy, read, thread