How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
View Poll Results: Should we open tFS up to new registrations?
Yes 233 44.30%
No 293 55.70%
Voters: 526. You may not vote on this poll

11-08-2007
V.I.P.

What about charging new members a small fee to join? It may not be the most democratic way of going about this, but it does stop spammers and makes the "less literate" think twice before joining. And it'd bring more profit into the site! But I'm thinking a little fee...like $3-$5.

11-08-2007
Push it to pop it!

I know i wouldn't have paid to get in here :S ...then again i was like 15 and didn't have a credit card or any money.

12-08-2007
silent sigh

Quote:
What about charging new members a small fee to join? It may not be the most democratic way of going about this, but it does stop spammers and makes the "less literate" think twice before joining. And it'd bring more profit into the site! But I'm thinking a little fee...like $3-$5.
This is interesting..or maybe just a contribution, whatever they choose/are able to give

Quote:
...then again i was like 15 and didn't have a credit card or any money.
good point! it was the same with me! If I had owned a credit card I probably would've payed, though! but I'm sure there are lots of underaged people that have the same problem

Nyx
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaughead View Post
We have to keep in mind that this would create a huge techincal barrier for many people around the world. Having a credit card is not the norm in many parts of the world, and I'm not talking about any third world countries either. In Scandinavia, for example, no teenagers have credit cards and it's rather rare for twentysomethings as well. I for one am 24 and don't have one, and due to the system here, couldn't get one either.

12-08-2007
fashion insider

Payment would deter people who are already here imo, and we're talking about people who want to get in....

12-08-2007
backstage pass

When it comes to paying (even a small fee) I think its not a good idea because why should someone pay for it? Tfs is a cool place and theres lots of information etc but I`m sure if you spen more time on google you could find the same amount of information. So why should I pay even before I know what I get? Another thing is its just an internet forum not some high quality VIP thing. How many of us work in the industry and how many are just interested in fashion?

12-08-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Fashionista~ View Post
When it comes to paying (even a small fee) I think its not a good idea because why should someone pay for it? Tfs is a cool place and theres lots of information etc but I`m sure if you spen more time on google you could find the same amount of information. So why should I pay even before I know what I get? Another thing is its just an internet forum not some high quality VIP thing.
i agree. it's also really unfair to new users who will have to pay a small fee to join, while the rest of us got in free of charge.

12-08-2007
V.I.P.

i too think paying is a really bad idea. i would never have paid 5$ to register. Now, i would, but then, i didn't know much about tfs, and overall, it was very overwhelming, being such a big forum.

i seriously hope tfs will stay by invitation only..

12-08-2007
V.I.P.

i dont think there is another place like tfs.
the thing is that to non professionals its just a bit of fun and most probably passion about the same subject :fashion!
to the professionals, this is all valuable info (lets not deny this) that they are dieing to get their hands on and therefore lets not underestimate the urge for some to be on here.
i still stick to my view that it should be invite ONLY

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
13-08-2007
Looking Up

Charging would get absolutely NO one! There are other free fashion forums. UNLESS tFS was offering something in return.

13-08-2007
Looking Up

What about different levels of membership. Like you can only access the Collection forums after you've posted a certain amount of posts in another section. That way we'll only have serious people posting in the collection forums.

13-08-2007
trendsetter

I vote for no. Because you will have a lot of new members but they will only came for 1 or 2 days without posting and then you will have a lot of new members non actief. THat will be bad for the speed of tfs

13-08-2007
fashion elite

Yea, I think charging people to join TFS is a bad bad idea.
TFS will eventually crash and burn if you go down that route...

13-08-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoely View Post
I vote for no. Because you will have a lot of new members but they will only came for 1 or 2 days without posting and then you will have a lot of new members non actief. THat will be bad for the speed of tfs
That doesn't even make sense. Memory and Bandwidth are 2 different things.

13-08-2007
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Fashionista~ View Post
I agree. I think many people once registered seeing how cool tfs is and probably forgot all about it the next day. Members who haven`t posted in 6 months should be emailed that if they dont use their account it will be deleted in the next 30 days. It will open up lots o space and it would make the site run more quicker. And like you said you dont need to be a member to read

I am definitely guilty of doing that...I joined sometime ago before the invitation only policy and forgot all about it until recently when I came up on the site again...and realized it looked familiar. But any who, since then I have been on everyday..very often I am on a few times a day. I think they should open membership up but not purge people who never posted because maybe they just like to "lurk" and have nothing to add...there's nothing wrong with that. However, they should purge people who haven't logged on in about a 6 month-12 month span of time.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
opening, registrations