How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
View Poll Results: Should we open tFS up to new registrations?
Yes 233 44.30%
No 293 55.70%
Voters: 526. You may not vote on this poll

13-08-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaliah326 View Post
I think they should open membership up but not purge people who never posted because maybe they just like to "lurk" and have nothing to add...there's nothing wrong with that
can't they just lurk as guests then if they don't expect to post anything? it really doesn't make sense for them to register and never contribute a thing. it defeats the purpose of joining and having the privilege to post and add insight to the community so it could grow. i think that if they don't post after a number of months then their accounts should be terminated, and if they feel like finally posting but their account is gone, then they'll just have to find a way to re-register. for the people who want to join the forum and actually post/contribute something, then those are the people who should be let into tFS.

13-08-2007
princely

Quote:
Originally Posted by carioca View Post
can't they just lurk as guests then if they don't expect to post anything? it really doesn't make sense for them to register and never contribute a thing. it defeats the purpose of joining and having the privilege to post and add insight to the community so it could grow. i think that if they don't post after a number of months then their accounts should be terminated, and if they feel like finally posting but their account is gone, then they'll just have to find a way to re-register. for the people who want to join the forum and actually post/contribute something, then those are the people who should be let into tFS.
I know people lurk because without being a member, guests deal with alot more ads than someone with member status. Also, as a guest, you are not able to see pictures in attatchments.

14-08-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
I know people lurk because without being a member, guests deal with alot more ads than someone with member status. Also, as a guest, you are not able to see pictures in attatchments.
Actually, I think there is a good reason for that. I know it happend when people posted pics. of their personal stuff that ended up on ebay Not everyone has time or dedication to watermark everything. Not having strangers being able to steal your photos adds a bit more security

14-08-2007
V.I.P.

^ and that's why I think pictures should be completely blocked (Maybe there's something for boards, I think so!) - I mean invisible for guests (since I've seen it more than once that pics were stolen. This site is even recommended by people to get pictures for free without having to do anything...

14-08-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouge_red View Post
^ and that's why I think pictures should be completely blocked (Maybe there's something for boards, I think so!) - I mean invisible for guests (since I've seen it more than once that pics were stolen. This site is even recommended by people to get pictures for free without having to do anything...
exactly. I know people post photos here that they actually pay for with their own money (or their company does anyway) from wireimage, getty etc. Also sourcing pics is a lot of work and Im afraid people who use them, don't always credit. Im not even talking about personal photos people post in "what are you wearing today" and such. I never post pics. of myself or anyone I know but if I knew there are no "strangers" who can abuse them, I would reconsider.

14-08-2007
V.I.P.

That's what I mean. I really don't like that, I mean it would be alright to repost them with crediting the source and a "thanks" in the thread, I might guess. But the way it is now makes me unhappy.

Sorry for sliding offtopic again.

14-08-2007
Push it to pop it!

...also, someone could possibly use pictures from the "post your handbag" thread when selling fakes on ebay...

14-08-2007
rising star

Lurking doesn't mean that you never have something to add. Personally, I just don't always have some breathtaking thing to say and because of that, I would prefer to keep any redundant posts of mine to a minimum. Especially since a lot of the time the good stuff has been said already.

However, you can hear the other good ideas of others with ease of browsing without a big huge register sign and by being able to subscribe to certain threads.

However, if you've gone months without even signing in, then I think that the warning e-mail, then delete if no action is a good idea.

Also, pay-to-join is baddd. I am under 18 and I lack a credit card. Plus, it seems like a hassle. Also, people might believe this site is a scam then. Having to pay for something online always raises an eyebrow for me.

Last edited by RubyJewelStone; 14-08-2007 at 04:55 PM.
14-08-2007
V.I.P.

Never pay for anything on the web is my philosophy.

I personally think that TFS should be invite only. But make invites much much easier to get. It will definitely make it easier on the mods.

15-08-2007
V.I.P.

i really think it will be good to open up tfs to new people!

Looking Up

This poll should be on the main page so everyone can vote.

15-08-2007
V.I.P.

I mean, how much of tFs is not available to outsiders? Isn't it like this that "Guests" can read through basically 40-60 percent of the content? It's just posting which needs a registration. And when this new look came upon, there were ads all over the place, and saying that once registered, the ads would disappear, but now even members get to see those ads.

I think that if tFs continues to stay by invite only, content for "Guests" should be more limited....

15-08-2007
Naturellement pulpeuse

With the current direction, more members just seems like more members to post about models and handbags and all those folders.

clever ain't wise

^What would the reasoning for that assumption be? It seems to me that if there are members who are into models and handbags and we have an invitation only system, it is more likely that the new members will be M&H people too?

16-08-2007
Looking Up

Then maybe we should have registration for individual threads?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
opening, registrations