How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
View Poll Results: Should we open tFS up to new registrations?
Yes 233 44.30%
No 293 55.70%
Voters: 526. You may not vote on this poll

20-09-2007
girl who fell to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tÚth View Post
IF the registration opens I believe it would be a good idea to restrict new members from making new threads for the first 28 days or so.

That means people will be able to discuss, reply to threads and get to know the forums without TFS getting 500 new threads that shouldnt have been made every single day.

I just got to join this forum, very happy about it. But I allso like the fact that registration is closed for a lot of people that would mess up this forum. As of now this is a very simple forum to read! Lots of forums are just packed with useless threads and people telling others to post in the right spot.
that's a good suggestion

22-09-2007
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyM View Post
that's a good suggestion
obviously *cough* it's MY suggestion.

22-09-2007
V.I.P.

sounds good indeed

22-09-2007
V.I.P.

I just think each memeber should be issued with invites I hate the idea of TFS opening again , most people should get issued like 4 invites and invite people.. people who are desparate will ask and I'd be more than happy to invite

22-09-2007
scenester

Yes, It is very difficult even if you are working in the industry to get an invite, and you are keeping out people who could give great insite but don't want to spend that much time jumping thru hoops

Last edited by notwolfy; 22-09-2007 at 09:42 AM.
22-09-2007
Brooklyn, baby!

I also like the idea of new members not being allowed to start a new thread in the first 28 days or so (or maybe not until they reach 100 posts or something like that). Great suggestion!

I'd like to see the forums open for invites, but only for a limited time. Maybe 3-5 months?

22-09-2007
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
I also like the idea of new members not being allowed to start a new thread in the first 28 days or so (or maybe not until they reach 100 posts or something like that).

That would mean a decay of post quality, as new members would comment everything with "so nice", "i love that", "thats cute" in order to get 100 posts.

So you would have a spam of existing threads instead of a spam of new threads.

22-09-2007
Brooklyn, baby!

^ Ok, well maybe then it should be that they can't start a topic for 28 days AND they must have 100+ posts.

That way, they won't register and post once and then come back in a month and start making all kinds of topics... They'll be forced to wait awhile as well as get a feel for the forums by posting.

22-09-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelda's View Post
Exclusive is better, open to public will only attract silly people with nothing better to do.
Im personally offended by your comment. Am I a silly person with nothing to do? The only reason I got an invite is because I knew someone or for the lack of a better term CONNECTIONS. I wanted to join TFS to contribute and to know more about fashion, not because "i totally like ohmygosh like love paris hilton cuz shez so rad and like awesome". Exclusivity is not better and shuts the doors down to those who cannot get in. Unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
^ Ok, well maybe then it should be that they can't start a topic for 28 days AND they must have 100+ posts.

That way, they won't register and post once and then come back in a month and start making all kinds of topics... They'll be forced to wait awhile as well as get a feel for the forums by posting.
With all due respect, I believe thats a horrible idea. Why must new members be restricted? Simply because there are not yet integrated into TFS and happened to join late? I believe everyone have something to add to the discussion, regardless if they have 2 posts or a thousand. It makes it seem as though if you are new, you must be some kind of idiot spammer ready to terrorize TFS.

Not all the new members sit and plan ways to spam TFS. oh yes *evil laugh*....I have found a way! Come on! I am certainly not one of them. Why must there be exclusivity when its only an online forum dedicated to those who care about fashion?

When I came here I had enough brain cells to know that hmmm a topic for Natasha Poly already exists...I think it would logically not make sense to make another one. No need to insult the intelligence of those who are not part of TFS.

Last edited by kiefers; 22-09-2007 at 01:49 PM.
22-09-2007
V.I.P.

kiefers, I understand what you are saying and you have made some good points.

What you probably don't know is the background behind the move to restrict registration in the first place. tFS grew at an astounding rate and about a year and a half ago administration found that the moderators could not keep up ... and things were getting out of control. We not only had hundreds of spammers to deal with, we had all kinds of other issues that came up that was starting to make tFS not such a nice place to be and that were taking us way off topic ... fashion first, and foremost.

So the restriction was placed for a couple of reasons ... the most important one was, we had to slow the growth and, also, we wished to steer tFS towards fashion more than models and celebrities while still allowing a place for fans to gather.

New members also don't usually take time to read and familiarize themselves the Community Rules and the individual thread rules. In order to keep things flowing well, easy to search and a pleasant place, we are pretty strict about certain things. So new members usually need to be coached and helped along at first ... new members are very time consuming for moderators.

All of this takes a huge amount of time ... dealing with spammers, reviewing new threads and merging them with the old, reminding memberrs to abide by the rules, sending PM's to newer members who don't get it yet. We must be able to take on the volume of new members or it will get out of control once again.

The reason we are considering opening it up again now, in one way or another ... is we are in the process of implementing some new things that we hope will free the moderators up a bit so that they can take on the onslaught of new registrations.

Oh ... We are so big that things move at warp speed around here and there is a good chance that you would not see the thread for Natasha Poly (or whoever) because it could be several pages back. That is why we state, in the Community Rules, that we want you to always use the search function before stating a thread. Otherwise you would not know that the thread existed.

Last edited by BetteT; 22-09-2007 at 03:33 PM.
22-09-2007
front row

You are correct that I was never there when all the spam occured, but I believe its truly backfiring. Members will good intentions can never join, due to those who come here to spam. While spam is a problem, it exists everywhere. Regardless of the forum, it sadly can never be 100 percent overcome. The mod implementation seems solid enough now and the rules are clear, so I definatly advocate letting future prospective users without connections, a chance to be a part of TFS.

It will be tough opening the place up for registration and have numerous people join, but there is of course banning for not following the rules. That may not be the easiest option and as far as I understand moderators do have lives outside the internet, but if TFS should grow and expand with a solid membership base it is inevitable for time to be spent on the growth. While it is easier to close everything up then spend time dealing with the issues thoroughly, hard work and moderator perseverence can go very far. Those two (hardwork and mod persev) are already part of TFS...so why not give it a shot?

22-09-2007
V.I.P.

Spam is only a small portion of the issues we deal with, here, And yes, mods do have real lives and they donate their time here ... thank you for appreciating that fact.

We are not closed up ... we get new members every day and we are still growing but at a manageable pace. But we do realize that many people have difficulty in getting registered ... and we may be missing out on some valuable members.

Banning is a 4 or 5 step process, advisng the member in question all along the way and it is discussed with the entire mod team before any action is taken ... so it's not easy nor simple to ban. (Except spammers ... they are gone!!)

22-09-2007
front row

My whole point is that TFS has, or to me seems to have, all the resources to manage opening up registration. Moderators do donate their time here and I know that they do have a life, but since they chose to volunteer at TFS it is expected for them to do their duties and take up difficult tasks and help the forum. I am in no way suggesting the mods here do not. In fact, I think it is the opposite. Thats why I don't understand why registrations cannot be opened. We have the resources and we have a system. Again, take a chance with new members....who sadly do not have connections. TFS is still growing, but the doors are closed to those who do not know anyone with a TFS membership.

It was closed to me for a year or so. That is why I feel strongly about this. This is not referring to you, but to those who do not want an open registration at all. It is easy to say no once you are in. Consider those not as lucky.

22-09-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tÚth View Post
IF the registration opens I believe it would be a good idea to restrict new members from making new threads for the first 28 days or so.

That means people will be able to discuss, reply to threads and get to know the forums without TFS getting 500 new threads that shouldnt have been made every single day.

I just got to join this forum, very happy about it. But I allso like the fact that registration is closed for a lot of people that would mess up this forum. As of now this is a very simple forum to read! Lots of forums are just packed with useless threads and people telling others to post in the right spot.
One of the problems with this though is what if a new member has a question/problem regarding the site that should be posted in Member Support & Feedback? Yes, the person could in theory PM a mod about the problem, but having it in a public space is helpful to others who may be experiencing the same problem or have the same question.

MONAJ.NET IS BACK: updated May 19
twitter.com/beyondrecovery
22-09-2007
fashion insider

Like I said, open up registrations once or twice a month and then moderate their first 10 posts. If they make a faux pas it's easier to point out to them what they've done wrong so they don't repeat it in the future.

Moderating their posts just means that it won't be visible until it's been approved by a mod.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
opening, registrations