How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
View Poll Results: Should we open tFS up to new registrations?
Yes 233 44.30%
No 293 55.70%
Voters: 526. You may not vote on this poll

22-09-2007
silent sigh

@OriginalSin: I think that vBulletin has the option of restricting posting rights in certain forums if the admin wants to..suppose he could make the information spot forum open to posts from all members while allowing newbies to view the other forums, but not being allowed to post there

Last edited by dazed&confused; 22-09-2007 at 08:35 PM.

22-09-2007
V.I.P.

^ Ah I see. Thanks for the clarification

MONAJ.NET IS BACK: updated May 19
twitter.com/beyondrecovery
23-09-2007
Brooklyn, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiefers View Post

With all due respect, I believe thats a horrible idea. Why must new members be restricted? Simply because there are not yet integrated into TFS and happened to join late? I believe everyone have something to add to the discussion, regardless if they have 2 posts or a thousand. It makes it seem as though if you are new, you must be some kind of idiot spammer ready to terrorize TFS.
Doing this would "weed out" the members who would register just to say, advertise and spam. Anyone who actually wants to be here would be okay with the restrictions I'm sure. 100 posts and 28 days isn't that long, in my opinion. That's just my suggestion, and I don't think it's a bad one.

23-09-2007
front row

I understand your point, but the principle behind still bothers me nonetheless. I think it is a forum to discuss fashion and should be open to all, without 'weeding out' members. I think by post 1 it would be obvious who has ill intentions. I never feel comfortable with all the exclusivity and rules. It feels too forced to me and unneeded. Spammers and rule breakers will certainly come, but it is the mods job to focus on them and run the forum. It does take time and resources, but no one said running the forum would be easy.

I personally think that there is elitism present in TFS. It comes as a bit of a turnoff when a forum has rules to weed out members. While the suggestions might certainly work, it feels that we should not need to result to such extremes. Thats my two cents.

23-09-2007
Brooklyn, baby!

^ Why is being exclusive such a bad thing? This is the best forum I've ever been to, one reason being that we rarely see spammers here and nearly everyone is friendly and has good intentions. I fear that if there aren't any restrictions for new posters (IF the forums are open for anyone to register) it might change the dynamic of the forums. I don't think new members is a bad thing at all! I just fear what the forums will be like if the "flood gates are opened", so to speak, and anyone is allowed to register and they have freedom to post anything anywhere on the forums right away.

I welcome new members. I think it would be really great for this forum to get some new "faces" around! But I do think that some kind of restrictions should be put up for the brand new members so this forum doesn't go downhill fast with a flood of repetitive posts that would drive the older members crazy...

23-09-2007
front row

I do not advocate abolishing all the rules and letting anarchy take hold. A forum needs rule to functions. Exclusivity is a bad thing due to the fact that some prospective members cannot participate. Lack of connections is one issue. Like I said, everyone here seems to think that prospective members are all trolls with no lives and "silly people".

Some want to contribute but cannot register. Contributons and vital information can be lost. TFS is losing out to some amazing members, some who might even work in the industry! That is why exclusivity does not work. Letting new users can actually be a positive thing. New users guarantee new information and different opinions on issues, as well as contributions. TFS grows as a result.

I think the rules here are just and fair, except the invite only policy. Everyone here is used to all their friends being on the forums, they might be afraid to let some new blood in, if you will. I can assure you that TFS will not fall into anarchy. It will simply allow those who do not have a chance to join and share.

I am a brand new member (or was about a week ago) and I did not make repetitive posts over and over. The forum is not a maze. It is easy to figure out. That is what the rules are for. Prospective users are not stupid caveman...I can vouch that. When presented with clear and concise rules, they are easy to follow. Does not take a brain scientist.

That is exactly why this forum has some elitism in it. The notion that we are older, wiser, and therefore know more can be incorrect. You may be comfortable with an exisiting hierachy but sometimes things need to change. Not a revolution, but a subtle change. Give it chance! TFS is not about older members vs. new..its a community to talk about fashion.

Last edited by kiefers; 23-09-2007 at 05:43 PM.
24-09-2007
V.I.P.

what i'm wondering is whether we really need more members for now, considering that the Fashion Spot has become more open, with the flooding of new members the last couple days with the new invite system?

24-09-2007
front row

My whole argument is for those without connections. TFS needs more new members to contribute different kinds of information. Everyone has something to offer.

24-09-2007
fashion elite

hello everybody, i just happened to read about the poll, and first i wasnt sure at all how to vote. there are indeed a lot of very good arguments for and against opening tfs again. after reading most of the already posted opinions i understood a little better the circumstances which led to the decision to close it in the first place 1,5 years ago.

i also think, that it is way to difficult to get an invitation. when people try to get in for several months or sometimes even a year - well it should be made easier for those who really want to join.

but it is true for me too: this is the best forum i know, and thanks to the mods, who are donating their time and endless effort, it is a very friendly community. a site like youtube e.g. has got some really serious problems now with unpleasant content, which could have been probably prevented if they had stricter rules about registration.

my suggestion: keep the inviting system, make it a lot easier though to get in, in other words, not only open to those who influence the fashion world, because this in particular is very snobby, and might also scare off new potential members. and make the POLL more visible, 320 votes is not really representative for a 60 000 members community.

maybe sending an automated PM to every member to take the time and think about this rather important topic?

Last edited by Mojopin; 24-09-2007 at 04:09 PM.
24-09-2007
front row

There are numerous amazing forums who function perfectly without an 'invite policy'. Youtube is a website, not a message forum and is not closely regulated as TFS is. Its comparing different things..

Though I agree with your point that everyone needs to vote. Come on people, vote yes! Go against the majority and think of those not as fortunate to know those on the inside. I get the impression people are comfortable and afraid of change.

Last edited by kiefers; 24-09-2007 at 04:30 PM.
24-09-2007
silent sigh

@Mojopin: good idea about the PM, you can also advertise the poll in your sig
I think that the new invite system now is good, though..

fashion elite

@dazed&confused: I think that the new invite system now is good, though..
is there a new system now? and why do you think its good?

@kiefers: all the web2.0 sites have one thing in common: people who participate, and share movies, pictures, opionions, etc., and the bigger a community gets the harder it is to keep away the black sheep.

25-09-2007
kus
front row

i know, slight off topic
but how bout once a week
we vote somebody off the island

exept me, cause that be rude

also, i need clothes i can wear at home and at office
though i dont go to office, still,

think im driftinfting off topic

25-09-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojopin View Post
@dazed&confused: I think that the new invite system now is good, though..
is there a new system now? and why do you think its good?

@kiefers: all the web2.0 sites have one thing in common: people who participate, and share movies, pictures, opionions, etc., and the bigger a community gets the harder it is to keep away the black sheep.
While that is true, comparing youtube to TFS is ridiculous. They do not have a moderator team and function differently. Why do we need to come up with excuses for not letting new users in?

25-09-2007
V.I.P.

kiefers, it's not some sort of evil conspiracy against new users , we all like them and we NEED them to keep this forum growing. it's the method what is being discussed here, everybody's making suggestions, not necessarily rules or statements, I think that should be clear so we can continue to have more coming and not feel intimidated because of one's strong opposition.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
opening, registrations