How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
View Poll Results: Should we open tFS up to new registrations?
Yes 233 44.30%
No 293 55.70%
Voters: 526. You may not vote on this poll

11-06-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisdesigner View Post
Exclusivity does have pros and cons.
Forums, are for me, a think tank, its value, being a variety of opinions, and input.
I do not allow the few "bad apples"to affect my experience.
Nor would i like to act with prejudice ,in denying access, towards any future members , and would value any opinions, or input they may have.
I also have faith in the forum management to curb the behaviour of any questionable people joining tFS through open registrations, or a like.
Well said.

11-06-2008
V.I.P.

Its really hard to tell yes or no. May be let it be open for a day or a few and then make it exclusive again ? It does feel good knowing that this way the chance of getting a bunch of spammers reduces but with that there are may be some valuable member out there who are willing to join and contribute but can not get an invite. And then who can guarantee that even those who got invites are really the ones who contribute often and not spam ?

I emailed tfs stuff for an invite too after just being a guest to the forum for a couple of years, explained the situation and assured them I am a good member to have around and have much of forum experience and a good fame but I was rejected. Sadly.

I had to ask other members in other forums to send me an invite and I was happy one of them did and it worked and I am here.:p I am very into models and fashion and model quite a bit too but nothing too major for now.

Funny how you wish it could be open for all to join but once you get here through the hard way you sort of want others 'earn it too'....

Last edited by Juliax; 11-06-2008 at 05:19 PM.
25-05-2009
fashion elite

I just came across this thread and i am glad that i did! because i voted No. For the obvious reasons. I like the exclusivity factor and its much more organized and it felt like a small community and it was much more friendly based a couple of years ago..when i first joined which was back in 2005 and i loved it!!! i still do love it, but i just find that it lost something...its still enriching but why fix when its not broken?
plus if i may suggest that if a member isnt active for a year/or six month you could expire their membership.
also, i have had some new members previously sending me offers on their items, i think there is some abuse of the fact that u've got a bunch of fashion addicts and its an easy target to sales people. Its jus an opinion. But I voted for No.

V.I.P.

I agree, it should remain closed and exclusive.

25-05-2009
V.I.P.

Management does purge inactive memberships from time to time ... in fact, they dropped about 5,000 inactive members recently.

26-05-2009
fashion insider

I would say yes...it's a hard choice....because with all the recent fashion shows and realities the forum could attract lots of it's viewrs and that could become very hectic...but hopefully the good ones will be more

I joined about a year ago and I'm really happy with tfs , there are people out there with no access to international magazines like me and I really appreciate every scan made here...I try to post some images here and there that I found on other pages

I contacted (the mods I guess) by a Contact Us link becuase I didn't knew any member...and asked for an invite, they said I would be put in the waiting list and after a week or less I recibed the invitation code...I guess I'm one of the few that read the Community Rules, but still I made a few mistakes at the begining.

That being said I think it should have a application proccess...not completely open...because even I have registered in other forums to ask something and then forget my username and pasword or never went back...some kind of quizz or so because some people have a very narrow view of fashion

Also it coutld be a more visible link to ask for an invite but that would give more work to the mods but more mods would be needed in both cases...

Last edited by cesarcmma; 26-05-2009 at 12:05 AM.
26-05-2009
backstage pass

I remember wanting an invite SOOO badly! But after thinking about it I voted no. Yes, there are people who want to talk fashion and love it that can't get an invite, but there would be WAY more who just want to chat, and spam up the boards. This mostly forces the people who don't like fashion out, because even if someone was my best friend I wouldn't want them here if they didn't like fashion.

26-05-2009
V.I.P.

I said NO. but why not to open someday tFS for new registrations just for a week? I think it would be fine. In my case I didn't have to wait to get an invitation at all, someone offered me an invitation when I didn't even know this site existed. I think there's still a lot of inactive members to go down, although the number of inactive members isn't the problem, the problem is the usernames they are taking when there's new members arriving to the board that could have them.

26-05-2009
V.I.P.

^^^tell me about it.. I longed for a username a member with 2 posts from 2006 has..

Last edited by melfreya; 26-05-2009 at 04:50 PM.
26-05-2009
front row

Problem with re-using usernames... Do you retain the old content? Do you want full association with any "baggage" the old name might have had.

My understanding of the under-pinnings of the database, is it takes some effort to retire an old username in the case of making it "user_old"

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
opening, registrations