How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
View Poll Results: Should we open tFS up to new registrations?
Yes 233 44.30%
No 293 55.70%
Voters: 526. You may not vote on this poll

09-08-2007
lay lady lay

People will try to reach 10,000?

Kudos for having the time.

09-08-2007
Push it to pop it!

I say Yes.

Even people who know nothing about fashion could learn a lot from being here- and as long as they make an effort to contribute, they should be able to stay. Maybe there should be a warning given to everyone who has had a post count of less than 100 for three years (or something like that):

"If you don't contribute more, you will be banned."

I think something like that would benefit tfs.... Although if the mods don't want to commit to the huge chore of deleting 60,000 accounts, i would understand. Maybe there should be more mods? ........ Anyway, I think other people should be given the opportunity to learn and contribute.

We may be annoyed by a few spammers, but to have a bunch of new contributing people would make it worthwhile.

Also the idea of having specific sign up days each month is really good i think

09-08-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinleaddict View Post
"If you don't contribute more, you will be banned."
That sounds like something you'd hear at a kolkhoz.

Anyway, I too like the idea of having certain sign-up days. Few spammers, troublemakers and casual visitors would have the patience to wait around, whereas people who really want to join tFS would make sure to be here on registration day(-s). And if you miss it for some reason, you'll get a new chance next month (or whenever).

09-08-2007
backstage pass

This is really hard to decide upon. I do agree that boundaries need to be set because those who are not here for the right reasons are only taking up space.
Thus far in this thread, I think some good ideas have been shared. It would make sense to have people banned if they choose to stop going on TFS for a ridiculous amount of time.

The invite only thing is not only unfair to those those do not know anybody on the site, but it still does not keep away people that will not contribute.

I think some more rules can be made to benefit TFS’s authenticity and promote an active learning/ sharing environment for the fashion community!!!!!!

Last edited by it-boy's nature; 09-08-2007 at 01:03 PM.
09-08-2007
Nyx
front row

I'm absolutely against opening up the registration again. Then again, the influx of new members is as vital to the survival of a forum as is maintaining general order and protecting the board from spammers.

I understand that the reason why you mods are considering reopening the registration is the fact that the current invite only policy doesn't produce enough new members. The problem with it is that in order to score an invite you need to know someone who's already in. This inevitably makes getting an invite too hard for some, even if they really wanted to become members.

However, there is an easy way to counter this problem. We should introduce an alternative way to get the invite: basically, asking for it. A personal, informal email to a mod requesting a membership, and a short explanation why you want it. It should be stressed that it wouldn't need to be any big thing, like an application essay or anything. It would really be just a formality. Going through short emails shouldn't be a huge task for the mods. But writing an email would probably be too much of a trouble for someone who only wants to spam or fool around.

Now I don't think this would get us radically more new members in itself, but it would keep the good things with the current order while solving one of the biggest problems with it, namely the difficulty of getting an invite without knowing an existing member.

If we want new, active members, I think the emphasis should be in advertising and promotion. The more known tFS is, the more people will want to join. Maybe we should start a new thread for brainstorming about how to make tFS more known? I'd love to discuss strategies from members advertising the site on their MySpaces to plots about how to get tFS some visibility in fashion press etc.

09-08-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdinanda View Post
People will try to reach 10,000?

Kudos for having the time.
well 10,000 is a bit drastic that means a lot of people will never receive invites to give out. then again if you lower the number, then people will try to reach it through spam-like posts.
basically i think the invite system and all ideas that require invitation to become a new member should be vetoed, they are obviously hard to get if you know no one who's already in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
The more known tFS is, the more people will want to join.
isn't also part of the reason why it became invite-only since there was a huge influx of members (granted they didn't contribute or they caused problems)? i think tFS is already well-known, just google a model or designer etc and the forum will usually be one of the first links. hence why there are a lot of people who already want to join but cant due to the invites
i like your email idea, but then again that does seem like a lot of work to sort through, and then the mods will have to discuss if that applicant's mini-essay was worthwhile to give them membership

Last edited by carioca; 09-08-2007 at 08:18 PM.
10-08-2007
fashion insider

I voted no...BUT...

Is there some way how the 'rumour has it', 'star style' and 'paint your face' forums could be open only after a certain amount of posts?

I think if people sign up just for the star style and rumour has it forums then we have problems...

I think otherwise we'll just get people who want to ask one question about a certain type of makeup and then never come back, or people who just want to talk about Gwenyth Paltrow or something.

Anyway just my two cents.

10-08-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssakura View Post
I voted no...BUT...

Is there some way how the 'rumour has it', 'star style' and 'paint your face' forums could be open only after a certain amount of posts?

I think if people sign up just for the star style and rumour has it forums then we have problems...

I think otherwise we'll just get people who want to ask one question about a certain type of makeup and then never come back, or people who just want to talk about Gwenyth Paltrow or something.

Anyway just my two cents.
Though it may be just my disinterest in models and stars, but I think with thrice the posts in one (Supporting Cast) and double in the other (Star Style) tFS is getting less fashion oriented. It'd be good if we made sure to get some more members on the clothing side of it all...

10-08-2007
VSFS 2009!

Honestly, I know I'm part of the reason why but TFS feels like the model spot most of the time

10-08-2007
V.I.P.

This community is community oriented though. And the whole point of a web 2.0 site like this is for the community to tell where the whole site is headed.

10-08-2007
V.I.P.

To be fair models are a huge part of fashion.

It may not seem like it, but I am very much into the design part of fashion. During Fashion Week, I am very active in the Designers and Collections part of the forum. I still post there during the rest of the year, I just don't have as much to say as I do when the shows are going on.

The Supporting Cast section moves faster simply because there is always something new coming out. Editorials, catalogs, ads and so on that we can add to our favorite models thread. This doesn't make me appreciate design any less, it's just exciting to see a new picture of a model that you like. I guess what I'm trying to say is that. This is The Fashion Spot. Whether you like it or not, models, celebrities and celebrity designers all fall under this category. I don't think that my posts on the modeling skills of Heather Marks or Jessica Stam are any less valuable than someone writing a review on the latest Yves Saint Laurent or Galliano collection.

I'm sorry if this is coming off as a rant. That is not my intention at all. I just don't think that it's fair to imply that members who join simply to post in the model/celebrity threads bring less to the forum than other people.Fashion is more than clothes and I every part of it.

Last edited by jssy4eva; 10-08-2007 at 02:03 AM.
10-08-2007
V.I.P.

This is kinda going off subject.

10-08-2007
Push it to pop it!

the poll count is ridiculous.

Because i cannot imagine why so many people would vote "no" and not explain why... most of the people who actually explained why they voted voted "yes"

not that it matters.... just wanted to point that out.

10-08-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Honestly, I know I'm part of the reason why but TFS feels like the model spot most of the time
Well, there are more visitors over at the Supporting Cast Thread than anywhere else on the forum.

fashion insider

....if models weren't a part of fashion, runway shows would be pretty interesting. I for one anticipate Dior Couture 2020 with Korean Robots. All hail the future!

I really like the Designer section but at the same time there are some madly knowledgeable people in there, and sometimes I feel like I have to step back otherwise I'll make a tit out of myself. I think maybe that's why it's less popular?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
opening, registrations