How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
View Poll Results: Should we open tFS up to new registrations?
Yes 233 44.30%
No 293 55.70%
Voters: 526. You may not vote on this poll

10-08-2007
trendsetter

i voted no, because we will get a lot of teenager just hanging out in the 'star style' forum.. if someone really wants to join there are always ways.

10-08-2007
Push it to pop it!

^ right, only teenagers are obsessed with pop culture

glad to see we are all putting a lot of thought into this.......

besides tracking down a member and bothering them for invites, there aren't ways.

10-08-2007
V.I.P.

It's a forum, you can't control WHERE people post unless you lock entire sections.

Looking Up

I like tFS being exclusive, but people have mentioned an application process, that would be cool just to keep registrations under control.
Cuz we want people who have a serious liking for fashion beyond just shopping, and we also want people who are gonna be on regularly, not just register and forget their account here.

10-08-2007
Looking Up

I know! tFS should start charging money for every post! lol kidding.

10-08-2007
trendsetter

well i think if someone really wants to join... they can ask on other forums etc.. think we are going to get a lot of un serious posters... the poll is pretty close so i am not the only one that feels this way. i like having it more intimate, i think its a good idea that only already existing members invite.

10-08-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
I like tFS being exclusive, but people have mentioned an application process, that would be cool just to keep registrations under control.
Cuz we want people who have a serious liking for fashion beyond just shopping, and we also want people who are gonna be on regularly, not just register and forget their account here.
Uh, that's exactly what happened to me! I joined, made one post on the Balenciaga S/S 06 thread and didn't begin posting until I remembered I had the account many months later. Hence why I don't get the whole argument against opening up registration. Things happen, you forget stuff, etc.

lay lady lay

With all due respect...I've tried to get on here for almost a year...yeah a year. I tried hard to get invited..I didn't know anyone, but I did search and finally found someone nice enough to get me an invitation. Yeah it was hard, but it payed off. I got invited. And boy did the search go on forever...I mean if people really want to get invited, then they would do the same. I personally say no to opening regestrations to the public, mainly because if they really want an invitation they would search all over to get one.

Nyx
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by carioca View Post
i like your email idea, but then again that does seem like a lot of work to sort through, and then the mods will have to discuss if that applicant's mini-essay was worthwhile to give them membership
But I was specifically trying to emphasize that it would NOT be some mini essay, and that there would NOT be a real selection procedure.

Basically the invite would be granted to whoever bothers to send the email - but the applicant would not know that beforehand.

So, in the registrations page it could read that there are two ways to get a membership: 1) By asking an existing member for an invite, or 2) by sending an email to a mod and explaining why you want to join.

From the outside it would look like an application process and scare away non-serious people. Whereas in reality it would only require the mods a couple of clicks to send them a reply with the invite.

10-08-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdinanda View Post
With all due respect...I've tried to get on here for almost a year...yeah a year. I tried hard to get invited..I didn't know anyone, but I did search and finally found someone nice enough to get me an invitation. Yeah it was hard, but it payed off. I got invited. And boy did the search go on forever...I mean if people really want to get invited, then they would do the same. I personally say no to opening regestrations to the public, mainly because if they really want an invitation they would search all over to get one.
Welcome. That is exactly what I mean.. if people want it hard enough there are ways... I don't want just anyone to join tfs will become so insincere that way..I think..

10-08-2007
silent sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristina_zhou View Post
I think that each members should get an invite !!
I like this idea, maybe every member could get one invite to send out, (or maybe you can get more invites depending on your seniority in the forum), and that way since each member has 1 invite, they would have to think really good and hard about who they want to invite to tFs

Push it to pop it!

Ferdinanda - But the thing is, a lot of the high posters here would not have tried that hard i'm sure. If you open registration then not only do the fashion obsessed get in here more easily, but others get more of an opportunity to learn and eventually be a part of the community.

10-08-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdinanda View Post
Uh, then wouldn't want others to not have to ask around and beg for a long time? A year is just ridiculous. I just don't get it, it's an internet forum. THe need for exclusivity seems... odd sometimes.

breakfast time

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinleaddict View Post
the poll count is ridiculous.

Because i cannot imagine why so many people would vote "no" and not explain why... most of the people who actually explained why they voted voted "yes"

not that it matters.... just wanted to point that out.
The people that voted "no" have been speaking up lately. Not as much as the ones who said "yes," but are posting nonetheless. I personally voted "no," but I wasn't sure how to explain my reasoning. Here goes:

I think that we'll get more spammers and troublemakers than good and contributing members. I've been lurking on and off since 2005 and I think tFS has been more pleasant since it became invite-only. I also think that the open registration might lead to overwhelming growth and tFS will consequently become invite-only again. So the cycle would begin anew.

On the other hand, I can honestly say I wouldn't have gotten in if I weren't lucky enough to register when anyone could. It's obvious that the current process isn't bringing many new members. I also have to say that the policy is admittedly snooty sounding and could steer away good would-be members.

If it's absolutely necessary, opening up registration for a short period of time, allowing x amount of new, open registrations every week/month/etc. or making the invite process more informal would be good ways to encourage and control growth simultaneously.

So those are my two cents. No flaming please.

10-08-2007
trendsetter

^agreed

I voted no to opening up registrations too. I think, like novella said, that it would lead to an overwhelming growth just taking tFS back to why registrations were closed in the first place. Especially since the forums have been closed for registration for such a long time.

Registrations open for a short period of time, or maybe applications, like someone else mentioned, would maybe be a good idea in my opinion. That way people who are really interested in joining would have an easier time getting in.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
opening, registrations