How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-04-2007
go red sox

^Very well said. I agree that policing of smilies is a bit too over-the-top. And some great suggestions as well.

20-04-2007
VSFS 2009!

I still say 'Thanks ' looks much friendlier than 'thanks'

:p

20-04-2007
V.I.P.

^^ LOL, can you imagine, "the smilie police". And maybe this happens more often in certain threads because I'm subscribed to 50+ threads in SC and I rarely see anything extreme.

kabhi alvida

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelover142002
^Very well said. I agree that policing of smilies is a bit too over-the-top. And some great suggestions as well.
No i didn't mean when it's just one or two smilies, I meant when it's all of them in one go - and there are people (in the star style forum especially) who do this..... I'm probably pretty laid back on this forum - so many times I've let underlying racism and rudeness pass for the sake of not getting into an argument...but seeing as this is a section for member feedback, I thought i'd go into my grievance. You don't have to agree, but I'm not TFS police. I'm not even a mod.

Last edited by impossibleprincess; 21-04-2007 at 11:59 AM.
21-04-2007
backstage pass

Really people, this is a bit much...I personally hate overuse of OMG OMG OMG LOL LOL LOL in threads, but a policing of it? Bah.

Also, I think the "worship" threads tend to attract...well very young members, some who indulge in that sort of thing. Hence why OMG, I was so happy when the "edit your search" feature came in to effect, LOL.

If you wish to know my feelings about the masses, they seem to be suffering from an excess "m".

Last edited by .:sprigged:.; 21-04-2007 at 03:15 PM.
21-04-2007
go red sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by impossibleprincess
No i didn't mean when it's just one or two smilies, I meant when it's all of them in one go - and there are people (in the star style forum especially) who do this..... I'm probably pretty laid back on this forum - so many times I've let underlying racism and rudeness pass for the sake of not getting into an argument...but seeing as this is a section for member feedback, I thought i'd go into my grievance. You don't have to agree, but I'm not TFS police. I'm not even a mod.
I didn't mean it that way. I was saying that if mods started policing smiles it would be over-the-top. No reflection on you.

I know what you mean about using a lot of them at once. I don't have a problem with that - but I have noticed in some SC threads where people post reply after reply that looks like this:

She looks so cute! :p

I love her so much!!!!!

OMG! That's so funny! :p

LOL!!!!!!!!!

And so on. In fact this is the reason I don't subscribe to 2 of my favorite models' threads. For every new pic there is 10 pages of pointless posts. It is extremely annoying, but I still think that policing these type of posts would turn this into The Fascist Spot.

fashion insider

Posts like that are garish, to say the least.

Laying down the law might be a bit much but I personally see nothing wrong with discouraging members from typing posts with such a 'loud' voice and a million smilies.

I think bringing this issue up was a good idea: even if we decide not to enforce rules, hopefully the people who create those annoying posts will see this thread and start to edit themselves.

the crying of humanity

Banning 'over usage' of smilies and capital letters isn't making guidelines, it's censorship.

Day
fashion elite

I think you can use up to 15 images, which include the smile icons. If the site were to limit the number of smilies per post, it would reduce the number of other images too. (I think.) A lot of people post 15+ images on the model/celebrity threads and this makes it easer.

I agree that overuse of smiles can be annoying, but tfs has such a range in the ages (and maturity) of its members that it's kind of hard to prevent.

I also use a number of smilies if I have more than one emotion.

21-04-2007
V.I.P.

^Well, I think I read somewhere on here that we are only supposed to have six images per post. (Or maybe that's only for Designers & Collections)?

21-04-2007
the crying of humanity

^I'm pretty sure you can have more than six images per post in other threads, because I see more than that amount all the time in the Supporting Cast section.

V.I.P.

I think the limit per post is 15.

Day
fashion elite

It is, and I think it's really useful when posting things like runway images or avatars.

21-04-2007
V.I.P.

This was what I was talking about, from the Posting Etiquette thread:
Quote:
When you post pictures, try not to post more pictures than 6 in one post. This way threads stay organized and clear for members to read.
So it's not necessarily a rule, just 'etiquette'.

21-04-2007
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day
It is, and I think it's really useful when posting things like runway images or avatars.
Definitely with avatars--it's much easier to combine eight avatars into one post than separate it into two.

Tags
overuse, punctuation, smilies