How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-04-2007
kabhi alvida

Overuse of Punctuation and Smilies
Is there anything we can do about this? In general, TFS is a well co-ordinated forum, with most people more or less managing not to get over-excited, but in certain threads especially, many posts like this exist, (for example)

Quote:
"Yeah it is really nice!!!!!!! she has such great legs!!!! thats y i love her!!!! and btw, that dress she's wearing is by prada!!!! isn't it nice????? i want one just like it!!!!!!!!!! :p "
I remember a moderator complained about it a while back, but I'm not sure if anything was done.It generally seems as if the board has been overtaken by seven year olds excited to use smilies for the first time...I am in no way claiming my posts are always brilliantly scripted, but the overuse of punctuation/smilies makes the thread look messy and childish, and it is only the graphics in the post that jump out at you...I've noticed that the Guidelines do provide for this how to style your posts, but is it possible to add to this?
  1. Quote:
    1. Do not post in caps. In message board language it is considered yelling, and as such, rude and offensive. If a thread title or post is typed in caps, it may be edited or deleted at a moderator's discretion.
    2. Please think about how you use font sizes and colors. It can easily be overdone, distracting and hard to read. Posts made in this manner may be edited or deleted at a moderator's/Mod Team Leaders discretion.
Impossibleprincess.

18-04-2007
V.I.P.

I think it is rather annoying too... Although I do not use too many smilies, I am trying to limit that as much as I can.

Naturellement pulpeuse

O Rly?

fashion elite

yea..i totally agree with what impossibleprincess is saying

18-04-2007
tfs star

I don't know..
I don't really use lots of caps or anything but eventually I'll use some smiley's to let people know how I'm saying something and what I mean by it.
With a smiley you can kinda explain your expression behind the words..
Smiley's don't annoy me, only lots of caps does.

18-04-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaCouture
I don't know..
I don't really use lots of caps or anything but eventually I'll use some smiley's to let people know how I'm saying something and what I mean by it.
With a smiley you can kinda explain your expression behind the words..
Smiley's don't annoy me, only lots of caps does.
I guess we aren't talking here about using one smilie in you post, but if you use ten of them.

seagreen serenades

Speaking only for myself, i find this very frustrating, too.
Although smilies are great for expression in ones, twos, or even threes.. it seems some use them more because of their bright colours and movement - ideal in life for stimulating a baby's development, but less necessary when you can also talk.

At present, I think 13 is the maximum number of smilies you can have in a post, I'm sure this could be reduced, if this was seen as the desired consensus, but I'm not sure punctuation could be limited.

18-04-2007
front row

Wow, you can use up to 13 smilies? That seems like a lot to me. It's an interesting thought....reducing the max. number of smilies allowed.

18-04-2007
Brooklyn, baby!

I've never seen a post which had, in my opinion, too many smilies and too much punctuation. I don't think your example is too excessive. While lots of smilies can be annoying, I don't think it's a very big problem and something that should be confronted nicely and on a case-by-case basis.

18-04-2007
Brooklyn, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraJH
Wow, you can use up to 13 smilies? That seems like a lot to me. It's an interesting thought....reducing the max. number of smilies allowed.
What about people who write really long posts though? I don't think the maximum number of smilies should be reduced, because then people writing one line and people writing 100 lines would have the same amount of smilies to use.

18-04-2007
V.I.P.

I do kind of use a few too many smilies sometimes. Usually not more than, say, 5 per post usually. I think this problem is more in the model forum, maybe?

Though I do use way too many ellipsises...(<right there!)

19-04-2007
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLinen
I guess we aren't talking here about using one smilie in you post, but if you use ten of them.
I understand.
But like someone else earlier said (I see this post just now)
If someone has a long post, it's sometimes hard to read if there aren't any smileys at all..

20-04-2007
V.I.P.

Are you trying to be the fun police?

Sorry, I had to!

That being said (or rather, visually represented), I've honestly never seen any sort of gross misuse of smilies. Come on people, they're supposed to be fun (which is sort of why I gather there's so many of them) not some ultraspecial privilege to be moderated. Is this seriously even a problem?? Do we really need to limit the amount of smilies, exclamation points or question marks people can use?

Last edited by xmodel citizen; 20-04-2007 at 06:49 PM.
20-04-2007
V.I.P.

^^ They are supposed to be fun, but sometimes when somebody goes overboard like this:
OH MY GOD! IT'S SO EXCITING!!!#!)#(!*@# !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it! It totally rules!!!!!

That really bugs me especially over at the Supporting Cast threads...

Press escape to continue.

Restricting use of smilies seems a little extreme to me. I'm kind of attached to the right and importance of free speech in an open forum. I think it is critical for a forum like tFS to encourage people to communicate. Sometimes, it takes time to learn the ropes.

Perhaps in the new user set up, reading the guidelines could be a mandatory game with a little test at the end, so some of the more critical guidelines are really read by new users?

For members who are too exuberent in their use of smilies/caps/bold text, the mod could PM that person with the appropriate guidelines so no one is embarassed? A little spanking by loss of karma would encourage the poster to be more stylish in their postings.

Last edited by SomethingElse; 20-04-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
overuse, punctuation, smilies