How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-02-2008
V.I.P.

I feel like I'm going insane, because I keep noticing that there are a couple of people that have different/changed usernames than what I remember them as (or maybe they just have multiple accounts, IDK)

11-02-2008
V.I.P.

Multiple accounts are actually not allowed on tFS and the member is subject to a warning or a possible ban for that. But, in certain extenuating circumstances, rather than banning the member, we might merge the accounts and of course only one of the names could be used so that might create a name change. Also ... once in a while, we ask the member to change their name since it might be slightly offensive to other members. So it's possible that it was one of these situations. You are probably not going insane.

Last edited by BetteT; 11-02-2008 at 07:05 PM.
11-02-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Also ... once in a while, we ask the member to change their name since it might be slightly offensive to other members.
Ah, this probably explains the name-change I noticed recently.
Thanks!

Confused & Bewildered

I'm not sure I understand the opposition to this. vBulletin software recognizes the name change in the underlying database and moves all posts, post counts, ranks, statuses, profiles and everything else account related to the new ID.

There is also an option to change only the displayed name that others see, but not the underlying registered account name. It works similar to the Custom User Title under your Profile.

23-02-2008
V.I.P.

Actually, it was an Admin decision some time ago to save time when moderating ... and the decision stands at this time. As tFS continues to grow and moderator load increases rapidly, we have been streamlining our systems. Name changes just complicate things and add work load.

25-02-2008
backstage pass

oh man, i hate my user name, because i HATE MARC JACOBS.
sjglkfjglkfdhj
seriousely, i made this account when i was 13. and season by season my shame increases exponentially. that guy is possibly the worst designer in the woooorld.

31-03-2008
fashion icon

Is it still not possible to change one's username? I'm dying to change my username. This was my online username from 2006, and I no longer use it -- only on this website.

Or, is it possible to get a new account and have the karma from my current account transferred over to the new account?

I'm just dying to get rid of this username.

08-05-2008
rising star

Changing username question.
Ok I've read the big thread about changing username and I understand it is a hassle, but, I am happy for my posts to be reset to 0 and karma taken etc etc, as if I was starting again. If that is too much of a hassle, am I allowed to create a new account and have this one deleted?

I also understand it causes confusion but I also haven't posted much..

09-05-2008
V.I.P.

There has been no change in our policy and we do not anticipate making any changes in the future.

I'm afraid that we do not change user names even if the number of posts are low ... per the reasons already provided in the thread. And we also do not allow second accounts (see our Community Rules at the bottom of every page). I'm sorry ... but you are pretty much stuck with the name you chose.

Last edited by BetteT; 09-05-2008 at 02:21 AM.
09-05-2008
Confused & Bewildered

As I said some months back, such changes are done internally within the database with virtually no effort required on the part of the Mods or the Admin. Name changes automatically carry all previous information, reputation, etc. It's just a simple check mark on the vBulletin Admin Panel to allow or disallow username changes.

I'm not looking to change mine, nor do I care if anyone else changes theirs, but unless there is something else going on behind the scenes like a separate database maintained regarding members and their actions, the reasons for the stated policy don't make any sense.

I don't mind policies that have a warranted basis, but I just don't understand the stated reasons for this one.

Quote:
As tFS continues to grow and moderator load increases rapidly, we have been streamlining our systems. Name changes just complicate things and add work load.
There shouldn't have to BE any increased load to anyone. It should be completely automated and transparent.

14-05-2008
front row

Is having a name very similar to someone else's reason enough to get a name change?

The future is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady.stardust View Post
Is having a name very similar to someone else's reason enough to get a name change?
There are quite a few very similar names here...so no...I don't believe it would be reason enough.

07-08-2008
V.I.P.

I really really really do NOT feel comfortable with having my real name as my tFS User name....

08-08-2008
Confused & Bewildered

But how would anyone know that was your real name unless you told them?

08-08-2008
V.I.P.

Kushie is an actual name? Sounds exotic. But I think that only counts if you have your full name including surname as your user name. People might think choosing your own name is lame but I'm glad I avoided some random word and I don't think my user name is the best (I don't like my name besides that) but I will never wake up and think what have I done.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, answer, change, post, user