How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-02-2008
rising star

Quoting Images ... reposting images.
I am not someone that knows ALL about designers. I pay attention to the way things look.

I was given a warning about reposting images, and was told that the "proper" way to discuss an outfit is something like

"Mindy McClaughininnginsling's turquiose outfit from her Summer line from 2006 with bright sequins and an asymetrical neckline top"

instead of just posting the image and making a comment on it.

If someone posted that kind of message, I'd have absolutely NO idea what they were talking about and I'd have to send a PM to that person asking if they can send me a link to the picture so I know what outfit they meant.

I don't get it. Why are you so extreme about this? Not everyone focuses on the names and what line something is from. Why are you requiring people to think this way in order to post here?

Last edited by Kizzume; 11-02-2008 at 04:18 PM.

11-02-2008
girl who fell to earth

the no repost rule came from an effort to decrease seeing the same image multiple times on the same page and also to reduce drainage of tfs's bandwidth, which makes the site slower and costs more money for the own of tfs...

you can quote the post but delete the image within the quote--there is a link in the quoted post that says "view post" and when a member clicks on that they will see the quoted post and the image that was originally in it...

*also, please not that a reminder is not the same as a warning..
it is simply what it says it is--a reminder of tfs community rules..

Last edited by ChrissyM; 11-02-2008 at 04:39 PM.
11-02-2008
flaunt the imperfection

i believe the issue was that you reposted the image...
not whether or not you know the names and seasons etc...
of course no one could possibly know every single detail of every collection or model etc...

you could easily just refer to the post number of the image you are talking or commenting about...

reposting images takes extra bandwidth and makes pages take longer to load...etc
so that is why we require that no images be reposted...

hope that clears things up for you...

Last edited by softgrey; 11-02-2008 at 04:47 PM.
11-02-2008
rising star

Yes. Thank you.

Sorry for my other post--when I went here a couple minutes ago, this thread was hidden or something (ctrl-f and Kizzume didn't find it). Again, sorry about that.

spoilt victorian child

This rule has been bugging me for some time...shouldn't there be a little more flexibility? For example, if the pic in question is on a previous page, it makes a lot more sense to quote it than to simply refer to it - otherwise, anyone who wants to see it has to load the entire previous page, which totally defeats the purpose of saving bandwidth.

rising star

^ good point, i agree muchly.

09-08-2009
V.I.P.

There is a view post button in each quote, which leads to the single quoted post. And you can refer to posts easily like this: #5, which will lead to the single referred post the same way.

09-08-2009
spoilt victorian child

^ That's true, but clicking on "View Post" loads the entire page, not just the single post in question, so there's still no bandwidth saved. And most people don't go to the trouble to link to single posts in the way you describe, when in most cases they can just hit "Reply w/ Quote."

V.I.P.

^ Yes, but I think that exception cannot exist, moderators would need to see if the image was on that same page or not to either delete or not delete the quoted images. The button "View post" is what everybody uses for viewing the posts that were quoted, besides tFS is running really fast, I don't the see problem.

09-08-2009
spoilt victorian child

^ The way I see it is, if mods can bother to delete them, they can also bother to leave them alone. It's not exactly difficult to figure out whether an image has been posted twice on the same page or not! My point is that if the overriding concern is to save bandwidth, there's a much more logical way to go about it than to remove every single quoted image. Look, I'm not proposing the draconican enforcment of some new rule here, just a little flexibility. That's all...

V.I.P.

^ Yes, but if you have a page full of posts with images like I see many times and you posted with quoted images at the end of the page, wouldn't it be more difficult to see whether they were posted on that same page or on other? faster way for them would be clicking on "View Post" if it was on the previous page, then they would be spending bandwith & I don't see what difference it will make about saving bandwidth but that's my opinion ... I guess it's up to mods to answer your questions.

09-08-2009
V.I.P.

It saves bandwidth for the very reason you stated ... not everyone will click on it. Only those people who are interested in seing it will take the time. If it's copied ... then everyone automatically has to download it.

10-08-2009
spoilt victorian child

^ I think that's a bad thing - in fact, that's what prompted me to post in the first place.

I know when I'm shouting into the void, though. I still find this rule in many cases unnecessary, and that it could easily be enforced with better judgement, but on the other hand it's not like I've got a deep-seated personal interested in it. I'm dropping it.

Confused & Bewildered

Quote:
Originally Posted by droogist View Post
^ That's true, but clicking on "View Post" loads the entire page, not just the single post in question,
Not true. It only loads the single post (at least on my browser).

You're not only eating tFS's bandwidth, but mine, yours and every body elses. BW caps and limitations are common with some ISPs and will be coming for many more ISPs as web use increases. Do you want to see yourself cut off or slowed down to a crawl for several days because you exceeded allowable BW for the month? Or maybe hit with a large overage bill?

10-08-2009
spoilt victorian child

OK, I know just said that I was going to drop it, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Not true. It only loads the single post (at least on my browser).

You're not only eating tFS's bandwidth, but mine, yours and every body elses. BW caps and limitations are common with some ISPs and will be coming for many more ISPs as web use increases. Do you want to see yourself cut off or slowed down to a crawl for several days because you exceeded allowable BW for the month? Or maybe hit with a large overage bill?
On both of the browsers I regularly use it loads the entire page - obviously, otherwise I wouldn't have written that it did.

You should have read my argument more thoroughly. I didn't say that I thought pictures should be allowed to be quoted in all circumstances, only in those for which the bandwidth issue would be largely moot.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
images, quoting, reposting