How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssy4eva
I like the idea of one big thread for certain celebs (in particular Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie, Sienna Miller and Keira Knightley) It's not that I have a problem with reading posts about them, it just seems that alot of topics that get started on them are the same thing over and over ("Lindsay buys top with credit card", "Lindsay buys pants with cash", "Lindsay buys shoes with Bank Card" )
That might be an idea, but, wouldn't that be giving just a little bit to much credit for those celebs? For now, I would be happy with an celeb rumours thread and an fashion rumours thread.

14-10-2006
etre soi-meme

fashion industry does not 'work' around 'rumours' celebrity industry ..does

as for deleting whole forums just because some of us don't care about those sections, i'm not sure how 'democratic' this will be..
if i ask for all tFS forums i'm personally not posting/browsing to be deleted, then tFS would be a very tiny forum, it's not fair

starstyle & supporting cast areas are both very popular, and this should mean something to all of us
i wish our trendspotting, career & education and designers & collections forums were as popular, but they are not..
people post wherever they like and whatever is popular should stay and develop, in respect to tFS members who find these areas interesting to post to.

as for 'rumour' it's where i browse when i'm tired of trends or collections
i certainly dont mind this forum at all, keeps tFS clean of gossip while having all rumour topics under one roof

as for bringing in gossip posts at our 'star style' threads, please, no.. its better to keep starstyle as focused as humanly possible to the fashion choices of the stars and not at gossip surrounding their names.

still, thanks for bringing up the issue, this is what member feedback is all about

14-10-2006
Day Dreaming

^^ You took the words right out of my mouth.. Thank you lena.

V.I.P.

My only intention was to bring up discussion..thanks everyone..

I know that there is a way to disable subforums too - but I'm hesitating to disable rumour has it because there is sometimes intresting stuff .
One question though - Why was the games section made "out of sight", if it's not democratic to disable subforums that some people don't care about? (I'm not sure how to put my words, but you probably get the idea...) It is very popular also. Though I understand why you can't get posts there just look at the thread I have started about that section previously

I'm done with editing, oh well.

Last edited by indie; 14-10-2006 at 12:11 PM.
14-10-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie
My only intention was to bring up discussion..thanks everyone..

I know that there is a way to disable subforums too - but I'm hesitating to disable rumour has it because there is sometimes intresting stuff .
One question though - Why was the games section made "out of sight", if it's not democratic to disable subforums that some people don't care about? (I'm not sure how to put my words, but you probably get the idea...) It is very popular also. Though I understand why you can't get posts there just look at the thread I have started about that section previously

I'm done with editing, oh well.
I agree with you about not getting posts there, but I really want to know why it was disabled also. I know this is a private forum, and the owner wants to change it's image, but what about the members?

V.I.P.

In the Rumours section, there is discussion.
The Games section on the other hand was solely based on playing, and in the last months, it became a section where you could make your post count burst, which is what a lot of new members did -they'd register in the same week they had reached 1,000 posts already. it was madness and in my very personal opinion, I saw it as abusive behaviour, it was not contributing to the community at all and just turning this into a teenybopper area where the name itself, Fashion Spot, was dropped to a second term when it's supposed to mean, some of us, at least, have a bare interested on fashion.

Whether it was democratic or not, I think it was a positive change, I have seen a lot of ex-regular Games members now posting quite frequently in the D&C area..or Magazines, which is good i believe.

As much as I dislike the current Rumours section, and certainly wouldnt mind seeing it disappear...Like Indie says, there have also been interesting discussions about the fashion industry, people that have passed away or historical/interesting events, I'd love it if we could have more of that and less of all the Hollywood trash, as Jssy mentioned, some threads are even depressing to watch, 'lindsay goes to school, lindsay goes to the supermarket, lindsay walks', we need to enforce a policy against that type of trivialities. Maybe a number of rules in order to start a thread, maybe a Rumours ETC thread for all of that?. I mean...looking at things positively, it's 50/50 with those sections, there's some good stuff in both of them so...as long as we start to have an order.. keep it clean and making it worth visiting... as Lena puts it, the popularity of both SS and Rumours has to mean something before taking decisions ...I personally enjoy that section and I'm a frequent poster at the Jane Birkin and Charlotte Gainsbourg threads, they do whisper fashion to me and it's only a matter of taste, I know some people see fashion when they see Lindsay Lohan or Mary-Kate Olsen, we need to respect that and just focus on the wonders of good order.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof
In the Rumours section, there is discussion.
The Games section on the other hand was solely based on playing, and in the last months, it became a section where you could make your post count burst, which is what a lot of new members did -they'd register in the same week they had reached 1,000 posts already. it was madness and in my very personal opinion, I saw it as abusive behaviour, it was not contributing to the community at all and just turning this into a teenybopper area where the name itself, Fashion Spot, was dropped to a second term when it's supposed to mean, some of us, at least, have a bare interested on fashion.

Whether it was democratic or not, I think it was a positive change, I have seen a lot of ex-regular Games members now posting quite frequently in the D&C area..or Magazines, which is good i believe.

As much as I dislike the current Rumours section, and certainly wouldnt mind seeing it disappear...Like Indie says, there have also been interesting discussions about the fashion industry, people that have passed away or historical/interesting events, I'd love it if we could have more of that and less of all the Hollywood trash, as Jssy mentioned, some threads are even depressing to watch, 'lindsay goes to school, lindsay goes to the supermarket, lindsay walks', we need to enforce a policy against that type of trivialities. Maybe a number of rules in order to start a thread, maybe a Rumours ETC thread for all of that?. I mean...looking at things positively, it's 50/50 with those sections, there's some good stuff in both of them so...as long as we start to have an order.. keep it clean and making it worth visiting... as Lena puts it, the popularity of both SS and Rumours has to mean something before taking decisions ...I personally enjoy that section and I'm a frequent poster at the Jane Birkin and Charlotte Gainsbourg threads, they do whisper fashion to me and it's only a matter of taste, I know some people see fashion when they see Lindsay Lohan or Mary-Kate Olsen, we need to respect that and just focus on the wonders of good order.
I think I agree, especially now when the forum is invitation only.

front row

If the fashion spot wants to retain professionalism and respect in comparison to Star Magazine and friends-- I would strongly recommend destruction the celebrity rumors thread. If you want rumors, go to STAR Magazine's Website or some other cloner magazine.

Last edited by marsmars; 31-10-2006 at 10:22 AM.
17-11-2006
fashion insider

I'm pretty much a regular in the Rumors thread.....I also post in the skin, make-up threads often. But I admit, I am a Rumors Has It...whore

With that said, I care about fashion a lot....that's why I love this forum because it has my two favorite things: fashion and trashy gossip. The only reason the majority of my posts occur in Rumor is because while I am a fan of fashion, I lack the in-depth knowledge many people here have about such things as the designers, the official titles for trends (i.e. Minimalism), styles of shoes, etc.. I enjoy reading the fashion threads more than commenting in them because I feel kind of stupid if I don't make an interesting or insightful comment in the fashion/designer threads (I hate seeing posts consisting of nothing more than 'oh that's pretty').

Plus, with all that said, the people at TFS are awesome....you can't find such intelligent, compassionate and interesting people just anywhere. Many times what starts off as a discussion about Lohan's trashy boyfriends turns into a discussion about ethics or the origins of mankind.

Makes me feel edumucated

V.I.P.

I think it could be good if the Sidewalk Café-area would be deleted. Star Style, Supporting Cast etc do have something to do with fashion, but none of the sections in Sidewalk Café has. There are strict rules about discussing only about fashion, so I do not see the logic of having this area.

Fleur De Lys

^i understand what you are saying but many members turn to the Sidewalk Cafe area to communicate with other members without having to discuss anything fashion-related. It gives members a sort of "hangout spot" where they dont have to worry about just sticking to fashion-related topics. Without the Sidewalk Cafe, many members including myself would just have to communicate with others using our profiles and pm's, which is time-consuming.

03-12-2006
V.I.P.

WhiteLinen -

r_r_r is correct that the Sidewalk Cafe is a premiere place for our members to get to know one another.
This is a community after all.
And entertainment & music certainly ARE related to fashion.
I'm curious (no pun intended :p) why you would want to see the entire section removed?
Seems like a drastic conclusion...

03-12-2006
V.I.P.

I do agree that those places seem to be important in communicating and getting to know each other. But no, I do not see the link to fashion in many of the topics. If all discussion in this site should be about fashion it is not logical. There should be also strict rules about what we are allowed to discuss and what we are not allowed. I know there are those guidelines, but in all accepted threads the rules are being bend, ie threads that will easily turn into the topic of politics (which is a banned subject here, and for a reason), or are even in the beginning borderlining about politics or other banned subject. I feel rules are broken more in the Sidewalk Café-section and I do think this forum would be more exciting and there would be more fashion discussion (as in collections, designers, fashion photography, personal style...) if that part would not exist.

I simply do not see a firm connection between celebrity rumours and music (as in music, not the costumes and clothes worn by artists) and fashion. Sure, you can come up with a connection, but is it a connection so important that it should be extensively discussed here.

I guess my problem is more about what is discussed there, as even moderators do not seem to be willing to delete some rule-breaking topics or which might turn into that. There are some very good discussions, but some (celeb rumours, games) aren't. Why can't people who want to play games do that on some other site for example?

Last edited by Whitelinen; 03-12-2006 at 10:57 AM.
03-12-2006
V.I.P.

Whitelinen -

As you'll notice, games have been removed from our main forums.
Also, we are discussing Rumors alone here.
No one has mentioned Heart & Soul, Art of Noise or the Entertainment Spot as being areas of concern.
I don't understand the leap from one forum to an entire section?
Is this a statement of some sort? Because what you are suggesting is taking our guidelines to an extreme that was never intended.

Additionally, it may help to know how rumors evolved.
The original intent of Rumors WAS for fashion related rumors
(i.e. such and such designer rumored to take over XYZ design house, etc.)...
But what evolved in member actions over time is that all design related rumors wound up D&C...
and all model/celeb rumors would up in Rumor Has It.
So this has wound up being the split generally modeled by our members.
It keeps Star Style & Supporting Cast free of general public speculation and focused on style as it was intended.
Yet still allows the vast majority of members that enjoy the gossip a place to partake in what they enjoy.

The rest of the membership is free to exclude it from their personal view...
and the mod team works hard to keep titles & discussion appropriate Rumors.
For those that don't want to exclude it because it might have something of interest...
well, we really can't have our cake and eat it too now, can we?
Gotta pick one

03-12-2006
V.I.P.

I just merely pointed out that The Sidewalk Café and all of it's sub-sections have nothing to do with actual fashion and I think this forum would do fine without them, even if I too do post in them. Even if they were intented to be fashion related, they are not that anymore. I do not see how I was wrong in bringing that up in this discussion, since other sections than rumours have been discussed.

The question of how appropriate the threads are and how it is chosen to which are deleted and which are not isn't a topic to discuss in this thread, even if I brought it up, and I think it should be brought up. I think moderators do great job here, but there are some things that I find to be done wrong.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
rumours