How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-10-2006
V.I.P.

"Rumours"
I want to discuss about the Rumours section.

Since The Fashion Spot is going more professional route, I find this one very unneccesary. Celebrities themselves have said that most of the rumours are not true. So why should Fashion Forum include them?

OK, I admit, they are very enjoyable, easy to comment with few smileys and general lolling. I also understand that we are living in celeb-obsessed environment. But still, it's very annoying when every day there is the same nonsense about the same celebrities (Jessica refuses to go Ashlees premiere etc. Somehow I doubt it...)

I have few suggestions -

Maybe the most chatted about celebrities (LiLo, Simpson Sisters, Paris etc..) should have their own threads where all their rumours can be neatly togheter? Because I always feel like it's another day with Lindsay Lohan news..does she really deserve all these threads there are?

Secondly, maybe the rumours section could be more professional if the fashion rumours would be there? (This means chatting about interviews given by designers, what designer is rumoured to be the next head designer to some fashion house etc..)

..that's mostly all what I want to say..
and, thank you about this "member feedback" option, I've found it very useful

07-10-2006
V.I.P.

^It could be usefull to make an section for fashion or designer related rumours, for the people who don't care about celebs, the fashion rumours divided over the 'Designer& Collections' threads and the rumours threads.

Good Point, indie!

07-10-2006
V.I.P.

Great thread, indie. It's interesting to hear members' opinions on that particular section, which I also find quite useless but thought it was probably just too popular to get rid of. I'd love to see more replies on this. thanks for bringing this in.

still here

In that case, I'll say that I've been feeling much like indie for a while now. As much as I love celebrity gossip, I scream inside everyday when I see a new "paris hilton took a breath" thread. I'd love it if there were only 1 general gossip thread for each of those people who get a new topic, if not two or three, created for them daily.

p.s. I know I can exclude that section if I want, but sometimes there is worthy stuff in there!

14-10-2006
V.I.P.

bump

14-10-2006
V.I.P.

In my opinion, "Rumours"-section should not be part of this site. It has nothing to do with fashion and the people who absolutely feel they have a need for a daily dose of celebrity rumours do know the more appropriate sites to get that. The "Rumours" section is quite useless and distracting. I see no point of it being here...it takes off some of the appeal of these forums.

I don't also see the point of the "Star Style" threads...in majority of them the topic is not about fashion and the people who most eagerly visit those threads are not that interested about fashion but their idol. The original idea of this section was good, but unfortunately it didn't work out.

I can't say I have never posted or viewed these threads myself, but usually that's been out of boredom. I have many times left this site because I find it obnoxious how much this site seems to be about celebrities.

In the other hand we have excellent threads about fashion, but these two sections downgrade the site and I do not think we need them. I don't see how they contribute to the discussion about fashion.

I do not know whether I am the only person thinking like this here, but I'd like to hear other people's opinions.

Great thread Indie

Last edited by Whitelinen; 14-10-2006 at 06:00 AM.
14-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLinen
In my opinion, "Rumours"-section should not be part of this site. It has nothing to do with fashion and the people who absolutely feel they have a need for a daily dose of celebrity rumours do know the more appropriate sites to get that. The "Rumours" section is quite useless and distracting. I see no point of it being here...it takes off some of the appeal of these forums.

I don't also see the point of the "Star Style" threads...in majority of them the topic is not about fashion and the people who most eagerly visit those threads are not that interested about fashion but their idol. The original idea of this section was good, but unfortunately it didn't work out.

I can't say I have never posted or viewed these threads myself, but usually that's been out of boredom. I have many times left this site because I find it obnoxious how much this site seems to be about celebrities.

In the other hand we have excellent threads about fashion, but these two sections downgrade the site and I do not think we need them. I don't see how they contribute to the discussion about fashion.

I do not know whether I am the only person thinking like this here, but I'd like to hear other people's opinions.

Great thread Indie
I agree, I am not interested in the starstyle or rumours about celebs threads ( I hate it when I see Lindasay Lohands name all over the threads ), but I have to agnolage that there are so many people here who really love the celeb threads, but also love the fashion threads. I wouldn't mind at all if those threads would dissapear, I would't miss them. But than others could also argue that the 'art of noise' threads and the 'art' threads, and the ''heart and soul' threads etc should be removed, and that I would mind, because I love those.
So I guess, I'll just ignore the rumours that I really don't care about.

14-10-2006
V.I.P.

Of course we could argue about those too, but I see art as more close to fashion...one of the bad points about these celebrity threads is (though we do not have that worry anymore due to the invitation-policy, which I think is a brilliant thing) that they have attracted a lot of people who don't want to discuss about fashion here. I don't see how Heart&Soul thread has attracted "the wrong crowd" here, even if they would be a little bit useless.

backstage pass

I don't really care about the rumours forum personally, I much prefer the fashion related sections, but I can't help but feel that the current usergroup of Tfs is being left behind by this move to "professionalism." I would keep the rumours forum because the current usergroup actively posts in it, and in my opinion a forum should reflect the mindset of it's userbase.

Melancholy

Good idea. A suggestion, that once a rumor is old it gets deleted..like the Keira Knightley engaged one. Noone posts in it and its not true so to make space we could get rid of it!

14-10-2006
V.I.P.

^^Now that is how the problem manifests itself...I don't think most of the people who care about the actual fashion discussion would care about the celeb threads being gone.The original idea of this thread is to discuss and exchange ideas and opinions about fashion.

The users who would feel like they have a lost something important from these forums if the celebs would be gone do not obviously belong to that group, to the group for which these forums were founded for.

I do not think the celebrity threads "reflect the midset of [this forum's] userbase".

Last edited by Whitelinen; 14-10-2006 at 06:44 AM.
14-10-2006
Melancholy

^ agreed. I wouldnt miss the celeb rumours bit one bit..i always assume the rumors are fake anyway. More fashion space!

14-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:

I do not think the celebrity threads "reflect the midset of [this forum's] userbase".
I surtenly hope not.

14-10-2006
V.I.P.

What I was trying to say was that maybe the "current usergroup" isn't what these forums are for? If the "current usergroup" is so interested about celebrities instead of fashion.

Maybe if we wouldn't have all these celebrity threads, the people who are only interested in celebrities would vanish and we could get some new members to contribute to the fashion discussions.

Last edited by Whitelinen; 14-10-2006 at 06:51 AM.
14-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
What I was trying to say was that maybe the "current usergroup" isn't what these forums are for? If the "current usergroup" is so interested about celebrities instead of fashion.

Maybe if we wouldn't have all these celebrity threads, the people who are only interested in celebrities would vanish and we could get some new members to contribute to the fashion discussions.
Hear, hear.

The stupid thing is, most of the reactions on the rumours (well, what I have read) are: Who cares? Whatever, She/He is so dumb etc etc.
The problem with this whole celeb craze is that people want to read/ know/ talk about it. If we all, in general, not only tFS, just stopped caring about celebs, they wouldn't be famous in the first place.
But that will never happen.

Last edited by kanita; 14-10-2006 at 06:57 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
rumours