How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-05-2015
flaunt the imperfection

Sidewalk Cafe seems to be visible even if one is not signed in
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f41/

what is going on here? when/why did this change and is it permanent or simply someone hitting the wrong setting somewhere by mistake?

i certainly want to be notified if my/our personal discussions are going to be made public after all these years...

Thanks in advance for any info.

30-05-2015
V.I.P.

I think H&S was the only sub-forum of Sidewalk that wasn't public. But yeah, I saw a guest there the other day, screencapped and all, but didn't have time and figured it was a technical bug. I imagine it may have gone public by mistake (if it did), there's no profit from these type of posts and the traffic is minimal.

V.I.P.

You are correct ... it is only H&S that was not visible to the public.

We did open it and are tracking traffic right now to determine how much traffic it actually draws ... open and closed.

My apologies for not posting a notice. It was run it by the TL's first and no one thought that there was a serious breach in privacy since we have sooo many members who can already access it, so it never occurred to us that anyone would be upset. We were wrong ... it's clear that it is of concern to someone.

I'll post a notice now, better late than never.

31-05-2015
tfs star

Yes, I think it's a huge breach of privacy and contract. Many posted things here all these years only because we were assured that people outside would not be able to see it. It's not a matter of how many people can see it; you'd be disclosing all sorts of information, a huge percentage concerning minors, that was meant to be protected from outside parties. Please keep it closed!

31-05-2015
V.I.P.

Equally disturbing that the Victoria Secret show thread has been moved to Designers & Collections, when it involves neither a designer nor a collection.

In their attempts to drive traffic, the administrators are being disrespectful and ruining this place. But since they aren't members, what do they care. Sad...

31-05-2015
V.I.P.

ETA: Ah, looks like the Victoria's show thread is just accidentally there. Thank goodness.

Still, taking people's private post in H&S and making them public = not cool. Not accomplishing anything either, as most have nothing to do with fashion.

31-05-2015
V.I.P.

What Melisande said, it's actually the only part of the forum many members (myself included) have disclosed location, occupation and other personal details.

So many members can access it, however, if you are familiar with the forums you will notice it's actually a very small group of regulars the ones that can be found there browsing and it's even a smaller group the ones actually participating.

Of all sections that could be used as a traffic test, I think that's the wrong one. H&S being closed is not the reason behind the decline of this, it's way up north..

V.I.P.

What about people who posted in "Pictures of Us", believing only TFS'ers can see them? Just as well I never posted there. I mean I'm not unattractive or anything, but now it would just be too....public.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
it's actually the only part of the forum many members (myself included) have disclosed location, occupation and other personal details.
Exactly. Location, occupation, photos, NAMES, etc.

This jeopardizes the safety of tens of thousands of people, so many minors. tFS could be sued (they'd be lucky if that's all that happens). Traffic is the least of their worries. It's not just uncool, it's highly dangerous and illegal.

I'm deeply concerned...this shouldn't be happening in this day and age...what the hell...

01-06-2015
V.I.P.

This is very bad done, the least you could do is enlighten people beforehand. Makes you wonder what they will do next time.

fashion elite

All in favor of TFS turning the blinds back on, say "Aye."

02-06-2015
fashion elite

About a month ago I was talking to a friend of mine about how awesome it is to have this part of forum all to ourselves. I said that it is wonderful that you can write anything you want without being judged or anything. She told me to be careful because things change, this is still internet and things could become accessible to public. I said that would never happen here because we have the best forum.
Make it stop, publishing our personal posts won't help with anything.

flaunt the imperfection

additionally-
i do believe that it is necessary to notify users of changes in policy, from a legal standpoint...
sort of stunned that no one considered this...

even if it isn't, it's just bad form...
and it serves to alienate the members that DO post, rather than attract new ones...

bad idea...very bad...

Last edited by softgrey; 03-06-2015 at 10:57 AM.
09-06-2015
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post
What about people who posted in "Pictures of Us", believing only TFS'ers can see them? Just as well I never posted there. I mean I'm not unattractive or anything, but now it would just be too....public.
Attachments are not viewable to the public. If you posted an image of yourself in "pictures of us" using the attachment feature someone would have to be registered/signed in to TFS to see it.

99% of the time I use the attachment feature, not an alternate image hosting site/hotlink because of privacy concerns and also because i don't trust image image hosting sites to not lose my image. This also keeps images away from the prying eyes of copyright trolls.

flaunt the imperfection

i just want to officially say that as an active member/user of this website, I object to this change and would prefer to have Heart and Soul return to a private forum.

I also found this on "The Business of Fashion"
Quote:
Nicola Formichetti, the artistic director of Diesel, noted in a lecture this week at the Shenkar fashion academy in Tel Aviv that, amongst the younger generation on social media, openness is giving way to closed societies. Replies, comments and ‘likes’ from group members are considered more valuable than those from just anyone.
The growing trend is towards private groups...
Please consider returning the forum to a private one.

Thanks.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cafe, sidewalk, signed, visible