How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-06-2013
V.I.P.

Similar suggestions have been made before and I used to alway support this idea and didn't understand why it was never implemented, but when I was a mod and started working on this for campaigns I suddenly understood why I did it for maybe two brands and then gave up, haha. It's waaaaay too much work. And putting together the lists is one thing, but always keeping them updated? Sadly I think it's just not very realistic, even if it would be totally awesome.

I was wondering, though, since we have the new tags feature now. Maybe the tags in the Magazines forum could be edited that, for example, instead of there being separate tags like "vogue, july, 2013, paris", maybe they could be combined and edited to "vogue+paris" so all Vogue Paris issues would show up in a tag search? Is there no way for members to edit tags so mods wouldn't have to do the work?

21-06-2013
V.I.P.

What Psylocke said .... it would take hours every day ... for the rest of your life.

Re: tags .... They are not something we can edit. The system adds them automatically. Same deal, if we could edit them ... someone would have to work on it daily .... forever. Just not something that is realistic ... we could not keep it up.

Last edited by BetteT; 21-06-2013 at 10:05 AM.
21-06-2013
V.I.P.

^I guess I overestimated the intelligence of the tagging system :p I thought it was more complex than the search function and that it was easy for mods to add or edit tags. Thanks for the info, Bette!

01-07-2013
girl with the most cake

Thanks for the answers, anyway

26-10-2013
backstage pass

Tapatalk Support?
Since I've got no results from search engine so I guess it is appropriate to open a thread like this.

I wonder when tFS will support tapatalk( or apps of this kind) so as to facilitate effective browsing on mobile.... Because as of now, using mobile browsers is still quite troublesome and unstable at times.

I know that registration for tapatalk is not difficult and they support different types of community systems.

Sorry if I post in the wrong thread but I really would appreciate any help or feedback from moderators.

26-10-2013
V.I.P.

I actually have no idea ... don't know what this is. And, I'm not sure what you mean ... are you saying that you cannot use our "search" to browse our forums?

I do know that we have a mobile mode ... and that your mobile device should trigger it automatically ... my iPhone does. You may access this, if your device doesn't sense I,t by clicking on one of two drop down menus ... at the very bottom of this page or near the top, on the right hand side next to "Log Out" and choose the Mobile mode. It doesn't say what it's for ... but the window should say either tFS Default or tFS Retro, when you are on a regular lap top. Not sure if that is what you are talking about ... but if it is ... that is what they set up for us.

If this is a free thing for a forum ... it likely comes with ads. And since we are owned by a major online advertising and marketing company who owns numerous forums where our advertisers have their own ads and promotions and they interconnect with all of those forums already via various methods ... most likely they won't want to to add something that might compete. And security is always a major issue with them, too ... so I'm just sayin .... not likely something they would be interested in doing.

Last edited by BetteT; 26-10-2013 at 08:35 PM.
26-10-2013
backstage pass

Thanks for reply BetteT. Tapatalk is a mobile community app which enables users to browse Internet forum more easily. Now that you mentioned tFS was owned by another company, things may get a bit complicated. Anyway, thanks for response and I am looking forward to a mobile app for the forum

01-11-2013
Soviet Camaro

I followed up on this with the tech group; it is something they have considered, but at the moment they don't have the staff to install and maintain it, and they have also had issues with cross-device compatibility. However, they tell me that they will continue to consider it for a possible future feature. Thanks for the suggestion!

trendsetter

This is from way back, but I was grateful that it was brought up. This kind of power-posting via thread-making has made a comeback recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Bianca* View Post
With SC, for a while now it feels like people are 'power posting' but with thread-making. It's not really an issue which affects the forum directly, it's just annoying, but new threads from some members come across as robotic. Whoever has ever had a showcard, whoever has ever signed with an agency, has a thread made about them and usually without any real expression as to why.

13-04-2014
V.I.P.

I definitely agree that some members seem to take pleasure in just posting as much content as they can, as fast as they can .... and don't ever actually participate. Not the ideal member, in my mind. We have to remember that we are here for every type of member, so that they may share in the community in the way that makes them the most comfortable.

We are aware that it gets a bit unwieldy because there are hundreds of new models every year (maybe more, because we include models working for agencies around the world) ... they come to agencies in droves and most leave the business within the first year, if they did not "make it". So we do have thousands of inactive threads for those models. But, sometimes we are first to have one of our members start a thread about an unknown, who becomes "the next big thing" ... which is always fun and a source of pride for tFSers!

Being aware of this type of member, we have updated our guidelines for them, about who is an acceptable subject for a thread in Supporting Cast:
Quote:
When starting a new thread on a model, we ask to provide a minimum of information, as well as a minimum of involvment in the thread from your side, both to guarantee the relevance of the thread.

So, before taking the decision to open a new model's thread, please be sure to provide the following information in #1 of any new thread:

- For ethical reasons, the forums don't allow threads for models whose age is under 14.
- The model must be signed with at least one agency and so we require at least one agency to be mentionned.
- We ask you to post a minimum of 4 pictures when those are available on the agency's website or on the website that introduced you the model. If not, we ask you to complete the thread as soon as the pictures are available. *
- We ask you to provide the measurements of the model if available in the agency's website or on the website that introduced you the model. If not, we ask you to complete the thread as soon as the measurements are available.*
- We ask you to state your own opinion on the model that will explain to us why you decided to open this thread

* If you cannot provide the required info, please mention in your post that they are not available yet.

Thank you in advance for adhering to these rules.
So .... summarized, here is our reasoning:
The model must be signed by a reputable modeling agency ... which then makes them a professional, working model. The poster must name the agency so we can check it quickly, if we don't know the model. We have asked members to explain why they started the thread ... why the model interests them, but this is something that is a request, not a rule. But it really is not enforceable ... because there is no Community Rules that says you must comment or give your opinion, when you don't want to.

You and other members can help, under the current guidelines: if you see a thread started about a model who is not actually signed by a reputable agency ... you may report the first post of the thread and explain the problem and that will trigger the SC mods to double check.

Do you you have a better suggestion about criteria (since this thread is for suggestions from members)?

15-04-2014
trendsetter

Thanks for the feedback, BetteT.

From what I've seen, the models are signed to agencies and have done some work/tests. It's the volume of the new threads that's a problem. I think that one poster creating 30+ threads in the span of only a few days is excessive.

I wish that I had a suggestion that was more practical. I suppose setting a limit to the number of threads one can create in a given time period may alienate some posters or punish others who do not abuse the privilege if it was enforced on all. It may also not be feasible from a tech point-of-view.

I think that you've touched on the issue I have with this. Everybody, or at least many, would want the glory of having created the thread of (in a way, "discovering") the next big thing, but should this be one's objective in posting? It seems that it is for some and I've always viewed TFS as having a higher standard than that. By creating a large number of threads for a bunch of working models + new faces, you're bound to hit the mark a few times. If the threadmaker does not even revisit the model's thread to update with her work or make comments months later (unless of course she becomes famous), then I have to wonder why create a thread for a model who's look or career does not interest you? It is understandable to lose interest over time, but for some it seems to be a pattern.

Or it could be that some posters feel like every model deserves a thread. There's nothing really wrong with that, except that it's not necessary and what I mentioned about the threadmaker (or anyone) never going back to that thread.

However, I realize that this is something which cannot be effectively regulated and would probably go beyond the duties of the moderating team.

15-04-2014
V.I.P.

we may already have limits on posting but only on posts made in very quick succession in an individual thread.

there may not be even be an option in vbulletin for the thread creation limits you suggest.

so far the best solution would be to report a thread that may not fill the criteria for a new model thread.

V.I.P.

It's hard to monitor what a member is doing every day ... not really practical and we could not do it consistently.

I think that we might be able to take away "thread starting" capabilities from a single member .... maybe, based on other things that vBulletin can do. However, that would stop them from starting any threads at all. It would not allow a certain number but stop it when they reached their max. So, it would have to be all or nothing. If a member is abusing the forums that much to disrupt other members' pleasure, a ban works in the same way ... they can still read everything, just not post. Pretty extreme ... not sure either one would be fair, to be honest.

24-07-2014
fashion icon

Andreja Pejic has recently announced that she is transgender and I was hoping that because of this, she could be moved from the Hommes forum to the Femmes forum, it seems much more respectful (and since she also announced she'll only be modeling women's clothing from now on too it seems fitting). Thanks!

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 24-07-2014 at 10:49 PM.
25-07-2014
.my prison is your brain.

Thanks YoninahAliza, mod team agrees, and the thread has been moved

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
suggestion, suggestions, thread