How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-07-2014
backstage pass

I would like to ask whether there are (and in the case of a negative answer to propose there be ) any plans for supporting mobile forum reading/posting applications such as TapaTalk?

25-07-2014
V.I.P.

The ad company who owns us (management and the tech dept.) have talked a bit about that type of app a long time ago, if I remember correctly. Tangerine ... do you remember this?

They didn't share what they are doing about it, if anything. They own a ton of other sites, so they would probably do it all at once for all their sites, I would think. So you know, we are usually out of the loop on tech upgrades, until something actually happens, so we really don't know.

Last edited by BetteT; 25-07-2014 at 01:42 PM.
25-07-2014
Soviet Camaro

We last inquired about tapatalk support about nine months ago, and here's what the tech team had to say about it then:

Quote:
We have considered it several times but there’s always been issues with hours required to install/maintain it and cross device compatibility. It will continue to be considered.
I'll ask them if there's been any movement.

For me, tapatalk is decent, but I have encountered my share of problems with it as a user, so I understand where they're coming from.

Soviet Camaro

I received a response, and there are no plans to implement tapatalk here. Evolve has tried it on some of their other forums and had a number of issues including security and privacy vulnerabilities. Many of the forums that had installed it uninstalled it.

backstage pass

I understand, thank you for the information.

30-07-2014
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAnne View Post
Thanks YoninahAliza, mod team agrees, and the thread has been moved
Sorry, I was away on holiday so I didn't see this till now... but thank you for making the switch!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucer-like View Post
This is from way back, but I was grateful that it was brought up. This kind of power-posting via thread-making has made a comeback recently.
Saucer, since I posted that in '13 I don't think it actually ever stopped.
And it's always the worst right before fashion week.

I love tFS, and have an overall pretty high post count myself, but sometimes you have to wonder if members who post excessively every day have time for other things. Maybe it is a bit obsessive-compulsive (in the loosest use of the term)..

Last edited by *Bianca*; 03-09-2014 at 04:18 PM.
03-09-2014
.my prison is your brain.

^ Unfortunately it's not just Supporting Cast now either, it's Behind The Lens...

Threads for every manicurist/hairstylist/etc.

Makes it harder to sort through the relevant threads. Which in turn leads to less discussion on the board. Which is why tFS continues to putter out every year. And will sadly probably just turn this place into nothing more than a massive photo archive without discussion.

But, unfortunately, it is not breaking any rules.

Annoying though, I agree.

10-09-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAnne View Post
^ Unfortunately it's not just Supporting Cast now either, it's Behind The Lens...

Threads for every manicurist/hairstylist/etc.

Makes it harder to sort through the relevant threads. Which in turn leads to less discussion on the board. Which is why tFS continues to putter out every year. And will sadly probably just turn this place into nothing more than a massive photo archive without discussion.

But, unfortunately, it is not breaking any rules.

Annoying though, I agree.
HeatherAnne, I agree totally with you. I'm not a long-time member, but when I started to check out the forum (c. 2008) and at the time I joined there was some discussion in the individual threads. TFS wasn't as much focused on models as it is now. Threads about designer's collections had more than one page. Now, very often, somebody makes a thread, posts the designer's whole collection, and then there are about 5 posts more with "discussion", and that's it.

I can admit to power-posting in SC forum, I'm guilty of that... only in threads of the models I really like and follow. Yet, sometimes I wonder if there's any sense of adding a few words from myself if no one replies or joins the discussion. Because that happened quite often before.

10-09-2014
V.I.P.

It was all about actual discussion, in the beginning.

But times have changed and with social media like twitter and instagram, it seems like so many people don't actually have the attention span any more to carry on a real discussion. It's a shame ....

And this is exactly why we added a forum a couple of years ago ... Fashion in Depth. It's sort of like a small, private club for the few members who still like to have a real discussion.

Last edited by BetteT; 10-09-2014 at 06:49 PM.
12-02-2015
V.I.P.

I came here to ask whether I am the only one who wishes there were fewer new threads in the Designers & Collections forum and just saw that this has already been discussed in this thread

I feel that it's become similar to Femmes -- the only motivation to start a new thread seems to be to have a thread on every collection/model on the planet. I'd prefer to only see threads for collections that we know people actually want to see and discuss. I also like when people post a collection because they like it or have something to say about it. I honestly found it overwhelming to see all these new threads for NYFW collections today, who can keep up with all of those? I don't feel compelled to click on all of them to maybe find a hidden gem and a great discussion, there are just way too many threads!

13-02-2015
V.I.P.

Good point and I agree that often certain members get way too carried away and just "robopost". They post just to be posting, or post because they want to be first to start a thread ... not sure why, actually. And it's really not that productive or that interesting ...it's just excessive, sometimes.

Not sure what the suggestion is ... what you'd like us to do. But, I'm sure you know that we don't stop members from posting what they want ... as long as it complies with the rules. There is no rule about "being selective" .... members may post what interests them. It's a member driven forum ... so we have to take the good with the excessive.

And look at it this way ... if you were looking for a specific, but obscure designer .... isn't it nice to be able to find it here? So, it might be of interest to someone ... somewhere .....

Last edited by BetteT; 13-02-2015 at 10:23 AM.
13-02-2015
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
So, it might be of interest to someone ... somewhere .....
Or sometimes.
I agree with this part.I don't start threads about designers and collections, but I did found some interesting discussions/photos about certain less known designers and their collections from cca 2006 or so... It was helpful for my job, since they were presented to me as people of high relevance in their field, so I came here to check...they were none of that

So having threads like that does come in handy at times

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Good point and I agree that often certain members get way too carried away and just "robopost". They post just to be posting, or post because they want to be first to start a thread ... not sure why, actually. And it's really not that productive or that interesting ...it's just excessive, sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
I came here to ask whether I am the only one who wishes there were fewer new threads in the Designers & Collections forum and just saw that this has already been discussed in this thread

I feel that it's become similar to Femmes -- the only motivation to start a new thread seems to be to have a thread on every collection/model on the planet.
I actually think that the difference between let's say Tumblr and TFS (or at least certain sections) for instance is not that large anymore. It's just at times a continuous series of pictures within a thread - basically what Tumblr does but in a much more proficient manner due to reasons such as website format. I think that's where TFS would set a difference by making some more substantiated discussions. Basically the difference between a forum and a blog.

A blog specialized in fashion for instance - and the visual side of it with too much discussion and text is boring as hell hence why Pinterest, Tumblr... blog formats who reduce words to the minimum in favor of visuals. But I think there's a solid confusion here at times. The threads in "Femmes" navigate between both depending on he model. And threads of polarizing models will often generate a lot more literature -; which is cool because besides the 'she's beautiful, I love her work etc.' where everyone agrees wholeheartedly, divergence has always almost created greater literature - anyways as far as academic writing is concerned since that's where I'm situated from my studies point of view^^

Another element is indeed related to the flow of information and information quantity. There are so many models that it's actually really difficult to keep up with most of the newly created threads. Beauty, fashion, celebrities, models etc. are a incessant continuum of information that is difficult to circumscribe if there's no specialization -; or should I say segmentation (e.g. covering models who have done something out of their career vs. those who have just registered in an agency or both).

Another example and one of the things I observed some time ago was in the thread "Street Style" which was solely related to "unknown models", which I personally really really loved. Because it was certainly one of the only threads where you could get a real feel for who the girls really are by the way they dress overall. This is definitively one of my preferred aspects in models - street style.

I don't know whose idea was to start posting street styles of Ambrosio, Kurkova, other VS models and various ex-models celebrities, but this brought about the thread becoming totally uncontrollable, unreadable and passionless. These semi-models/celebrities being paparazzi-ed all the time, the flow of information just increased exponentially and from my side I just couldn't keep up - ; this and the fact that I really have no interest in pure VS models and celebrities overall and we already have sufficient celebrity gossip out there to be interested in their lifestyle. Or, should I say I only follow Selena and Vanessa (Hudgens).

As a consequence, I can't even remember the last time I actually visited this thread when it was the one I was frequenting the most. Now, I actually revisited the thread and the last post was from October of 2014. Such an incredible waste for what was probably a great segment of the forum. Obviously, there are many other sections and can't reference them all but a slack control over information flow can be quite overwhelming. The fact of wanting to cover everything at all costs has it's advantages when quantity is low and not coming at such a fast pace which is conspicuously not the case in subjects intrinsically related to beauty, politics, celebrities etc.

When I first started here as a fan, I was only just passionate about models and the fascination that they bring. This, without feeling the need to post exaggeratedly, and, because, saying a model that I truly like is beautiful at every line doesn't really bring any further since it would be obvious for everyone using her dedicated thread. Then I kind of was drawn towards the more 'technical' side of fashion (clothes, designers etc.) with time and that was quite cool.

Last edited by constanceMafioso; 06-03-2015 at 01:41 PM.
08-03-2015
V.I.P.

Well taken, constanceM. And I agree for the most part.

Many members, like yourself and me, too, also enjoy the give and take commentary and don't like being overwhelmed with every single photo out there. It is just too much.

The thing that needs to be understood is that the members control the content ... not the moderators. We are here mainly to try to keep it all organized, to make sure everyone complies with the rules, to stop spammers and to keep members from fighting and insulting each other.

But it seems that the members who like to "robo-post" outnumber us nowadays. And they certainly are entitled to post whatever they want because they have the same rights as any other members.

This change is probably a result of social media like tumblr and twitter. These did not exist when tFS started (about 2001, I think) ... forums and real discussion were the hot thing then. You would not even consider trying to get it down to 140 characters or less or just post photos without commentary ... but times have changed.

A few years ago, the moderator team realized that tFS was changing a lot, but that there were many members who still wanted to have discussions. So, we started a new forum ... and that is "Fashion in Depth". We only allow photos to be posted if they illustrate something important in the discussion. It's a little haven for some members ... make sure you check in there.

Last edited by BetteT; 08-03-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
suggestion, suggestions, thread