How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-02-2010
V.I.P.

Yes, it is a long standing rule ... you can find that in the Community Rules, linked at the bottom of every page.
Quote:
Pictures wider that 800 pixels should be attached rather than posted in full size - Moderators have the right to delete pictures wider than 800 pixels.
We mainly go after the really big images ... we don't ding members for something that might be 1,000 .... but if it's twice that, then yeah... we will delete it if we see it. Problem is, the system shrinks most of them to fit (visually, but it doesn't reduce the pixels), so we don't see them unless they are really big and slow.

So ... if you get a huge one that really hanges up your computer, report it and we'll take a look.

Last edited by BetteT; 12-02-2010 at 12:09 PM.

13-02-2010
V.I.P.

Thanks BetteT and Filipe

I don't want to sounds like a whiner but I was re-reading my post and I forgot to mention that it isn't just the size of the pictures but the amount. Sometimes people post lots of photos which is great but when they are ALL large it takes a while for my computer to load and maybe if people are going to post a lot photos they should do it in thumbnails(?). Is it okay to just ask people to post thumbnails if they are going to post like 30 big images on one thread page?

Thanks

The future is stupid

Hi McClaire. Yes, they probably should be posting thumbnails. But we have no specific rule about that. If you see something you don't think is right, then you should report the post[s] & the moderators will discuss/take care of it.

The mods appreciate when our members do this since we can't be everywhere at once. The Report post link is right next to Give karma.

Thank you.

14-02-2010
fashion icon

It would be nice if for the Designers and Collections thread during fashion week if people who start threads for collections could be required to post the bigger-sized -as opposed to thumbnails- so everyone can just scroll through to see the collection.

I can understand using thumbnails for HQ images but in certain threads where someone just dumps a bunch of thumbnails for pics that aren't HQ that means you have to click on 40+ images to see the designers collection. Its hard to get a feel for the collection that way and means you have to go offsite to see the collection in proper context.

I also noticed the threads with a bunch of thumbnails get fewer replys -- likely because no one wants to click on 50 thumbnails. This does a disservice to those designers in a way.

Last edited by loladonna; 14-02-2010 at 08:51 AM.
14-02-2010
V.I.P.

I understand you not liking little thumbnails ... for the reasons you stated. Hard to view the entire collection. The designers, however, don't care ... to be honest. The ones showing at fashion week don't come here, and if they did, it wouldn't be during fashin week.

Here are the rules as they stand now .... compiled by the D&C moderators last season. They were very carefully worked out and I think they did discuss thumbnails but they decided to allow them.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: New rules concerning opening threads on new collections

Probably they didn't make that ruling, because many members love to get or post the really big HQ's and those can only be posted in thumbnails or they crash people's computers. And, if someone posted the entire collection in medium size images, they could not do it in one post if they don't use thumbnails. So that would restrict it to only medium size pics and then, only a few (6 to 8 at the most) at a time. If we did that, we'd get tons of complaints about that. So, decsions are based on what is comfortable for the majority of members and comments and complaints we have received in the past.

And, so this is why we do like hearing your suggestions. If we hear it enough times ... we will consider it and sometimes we will start a discussion thread in this forum to get more feedback to see if changes are warrented.

Last edited by BetteT; 14-02-2010 at 05:58 PM.
17-02-2010
backstage pass

Deleted Posts
Is there any way, when a Mod deletes a post, we can get more than just a link to the page the post was on so we know what post was actually deleted?

I've had some posts deleted cited as "off-topic" (some were definitely not off-topic but, hey, you gotta pick your battles right?) and it would be nice if the PM would cite the actual post. Sometimes I post 20 times in one day. When the PM just directs me to the page the post used to be on....that doesn't help me at all to know what was deleted and why. If you expect me not to be "off-topic" again, it might be helpful to know what you considered to be "off-topic" in the first place.

17-02-2010
Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedur View Post
Is there any way, when a Mod deletes a post, we can get more than just a link to the page the post was on so we know what post was actually deleted?

I've had some posts deleted cited as "off-topic" (some were definitely not off-topic but, hey, you gotta pick your battles right?) and it would be nice if the PM would cite the actual post. Sometimes I post 20 times in one day. When the PM just directs me to the page the post used to be on....that doesn't help me at all to know what was deleted and why. If you expect me not to be "off-topic" again, it might be helpful to know what you considered to be "off-topic" in the first place.
Well, we could give you reminders instead of just deleting; that would provide the full text of the post in question. Let us know if you'd prefer that.

You can also contact the mod team if you don't understand why your post was deleted. We are able to view the deleted posts.

backstage pass

^ I did contact one of the mods the first time I had a post deleted that I knew wasn't off-topic. Unfortunately, she wasn't the mod who had deleted the post, so she referred me to the mod that had. I decided not to pursue it because, like I said, you have to pick your battles.

I guess what you're telling me is, only "reminders" can contain reference to the original post. That doesn't make sense to me if you want people to learn from the posts that have been deleted. Is there no way to refer to the actual deleted post in the PM?

17-02-2010
Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedur View Post
Is there no way to refer to the actual deleted post in the PM?
No, there isn't. It hasn't been necessary. Generally, if someone has a question, they contact us. It's up to you.

backstage pass

Would it be possible in the Magazines, Ad Campaigns and Designers and Collections forums to post the new contents/additions of an issue/ad/collection to the first post, or give the links? In other words, whenever someone finds or scans an editorial of a magazine, in regular and HQ, to post the editorial or link the post number to the first post-and to do something similar with ads (new pics in regular and HQ on the first post) and collections (details and full collection pics in regular and HQ in the first post)? Sometimes these threads can get huge and it's hard to find and sort all kinds of pictures through members' thoughts and reviews.
Though if this is too hard/takes too much time. etc., I completely understand

21-02-2010
Storm & Sommer

^ I think that would be a great idea Escale Cherie II.

There is the question of who would have look out for any image updates ?

It would seem obvious that a mod would have to do this due to the post editing involved.

However there are a lot of threads created constantly..so it would be a big job for the mods to do.. only way I could imagine that something like that would be feasibly would be if the members posting the scans where to give the post number url to a mod and ask them to post it in the first post.

I think its easily imaginable that more than one member would pm not just one mod but several, asking them to do a specific update to an image inventory of a thread..and that would become rather messy.

Also moderators obviously have to give certain tasks priority so it might just be too much to expect.. after all they can only cover so much..

Another idea were to add an image update feature, that would show somewhere central on a thread (first post?), the specific post numbers that contain images (for example those uploaded with tFS image attacher). Theoretically that should be feasible, but maybe that would strain our serves too much?

pinterest : hanneonpin
22-02-2010
V.I.P.

Good thought process, Hanne .... thank you. (For our newer members, Hanne was a long time moderator and then a Moderator Team leader for many years ... now retired. So she has a handle on what your suggestions would entail.)

I agree with your assesment. It would add a very heavy load for the mods. I'll bring it to the attention of the Mags Mods and the D&C, in case they might come up with a slicker idea that would not load them down. But I sure can't think of a way to keep this organized without having them leave their other duties ... very labor intensive.

And yeah ... our servers are past being completely loaded right now. In fact, once again, we are migrating to a new one, tomorrow or sometime very soon, which hopefully will get things moving properly again, and we can restore some of the functions they have disabled, just to keep us up. I looked and VBulletin doesn't have any features that would allow us to do this sort of thing automatically, so that would not be viable anyway.

22-02-2010
V.I.P.

(Hi Hanne!!)

Bette, I remember mentioning something similar as a new addition to the forums and Joe (the tech) said that tagging was a standard feature on newer versions of vBulletin, which means that hopefully, we should get something like that once we migrate to another server and have the chance (space??) for an update.

To expand a little more on this, I totally agree with Escale that things can get rather chaotic when you're searching for an specific story in SC or Magazines, especially as members (until very recently) didn't use to credit photographers or the name of publications or anything to get a fast result without having to go through several pages of the thread... I thought that perhaps selecting an 'editorial/ad/etc' option right before posting would do the trick and that way, just like you can search 'titles only', you could also have the chance to look up for 'ads only'?
I thought of something like this (vague example just to get my point across)..

Maybe the 'post icons' part at the bottom could go (who uses that? :p) and get replaced by options for tagging.

It'd take a long time for moderators to get it all clean and ready for an efficent search in threads but.. who's rushing.. I'd totally be up for the challenge.

Last edited by MulletProof; 22-02-2010 at 01:30 AM.
22-02-2010
The future is stupid

^I really like your idea of tags MP!

I went ahead & posted links to the review, editorials & features that were scanned for the March US Vogue. I'm familiar with this thread, so it didn't take me long.

But the thing is, it's really quite simple to do a search to find the information for yourself. Usually only one or two people scan the editorials from an issue & once the review is posted you can use that as your guide to search. For example: If Sasha has an editorial you can search Sasha or the photographers name & it should most always come up since the scanner will post at least the Model/Photographer name in the scanned post. Or, once you see who is scanning, then you can also search by that member's name using advanced search. This is exactly what I do when I want to locate scans within a thread.

As far as posting every single preview. IMO that would take too much time. Also, HQ's are quite subjective I think. What some people consider to be an HQ scan another might not.

Anyway... check out the first post that I updated Escale Cherie II & let me know what you think. I'm definitely open to discussing this further.

US Vogue March 2010

Last edited by MissMagAddict; 22-02-2010 at 02:59 AM.
22-02-2010

I think it's a good idea to create a thread Table of Contents for the first post in major threads - in fact it's something that has come under discussion before several times. The only thing is to make sure that the responsibility is divided properly amongst the Magazine mods (e.g. One takes charge of all the Numero and Vogue Paris threads, while another manages the Vogue US and Harper's Bazaar US threads, etc.). But MMA is also right in that the search function is very useful already as long as you know vaguely what you are looking for...so the primary beneficiaries of adding the ToC are actually non-members who cannot use the Search Thread function.

Last edited by Faith Akiyama; 22-02-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
suggestion, suggestions, thread