How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-05-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naya View Post
I think having TFS on your Iphone or Blackberry would be a great idea, but i can understand it would be very difficult to do so. It was just my suggestion
I found it ... there is actually a mobile version. When we were "made over" tonight, I wondered if they kept our old version (they did and the one before that, too ) and when I was checking I also found our mobile version.

If you look at the very bottom of the page on the navigation bar to the left, you will see a small drop down menu that says "version 3". Choose "mobile" when you access us via your Iphone, Blackberry, Driod or whatever you have and it will work much better.

Last edited by BetteT; 25-05-2010 at 08:45 PM.

18-05-2010
V.I.P.

^ Thank you so much for your help!

20-05-2010
scenester

I just think Nails could have a sub-forum. Just one thread at make-up is so sad

20-05-2010
V.I.P.

If the members demonstrate that the interest is there, then we will consider it.

We dont "build it and they will come" ... we let the membership more or less dictate what they are interested in. And that is why we have a section about music and a celebrity rumour section ... because the members demonstrated a huge interest in it. Those forums are in the lower sections that cannot be seen by the public, since they are not so much about fashion ... and we want to draw fashion lovers ... not celeb fans.

So .... start posting!! Contribute new ideas and topics about nails, post pictures and articles, etc. and see if you can build it up enough that other members are contributing lots of new posts (hundreds) every day, consistently. It's when a subject hits this sort of volume that we will consider adding a forum or sub forum.

You may start a thread if it's a new topic ... so there can be several threads about nails, if someone comes up with new ideas. First, do a search to make sure there is not already an old thead about that. If there is ... you may revive it by contributing something new. If you are not sure if the topic is different enough to warrant it's own thread, PM the moderators of that forum and ask if you can start a thread and show them what you want to post. They will be happy to guide you.

But ... remember we are primarly a fashion forum ... not a beauty forum. So, our focus is on fashions, fashion magazines, runway shows, designers, photographers, careers in fashion. The beauty industries (nails, hair, makeup) are only a very small part of what the fashion industry is all about and that is why it's got a smaller space on the Fashion Spot. I don't think we have many members who are in the beauty industry or who come here primarily to seek beauty advice ... but there are some. Paint Your Face is more of a side forum for us .. as a perk for fashion obsessed members who pop in from time to time.

I just took some time to search Paint with the keyword "nail" and "nails" ... and I found 33 threads ... so it's got some interest ... but apparently not enough to keep most of them going.

Here are some of them ...those that have been active this year:

Nail Polish #2
Nail Polish #1
Chanel Nail Polish of the summer
Nail Art
Silver Nail polish?
American Apparel Launches New Nail Polish Collection

Last edited by BetteT; 20-05-2010 at 02:44 PM.
20-05-2010
scenester

thank you so much
i'll try this!

09-06-2010
once more, with feeling

I can't tell if it's because my interests have shifted, or if TFS has changed . . . but is the forum just not as active as it used to be? It just feels so different from when I first started posting several years ago, but I can't put my finger on why.

V.I.P.

The mods are having a huge discussion about this very thing ... interesting that you should bring it up now. We agree that it's changed a lot as we have grown and not necessarily for the best. We are busier than ever ... but the intereststs of the members have changed ... we have a lot of members who are not real fashion people ... so maybe that is what you are sensing.

We are working on it as I write this ... we want to encourage our members to get back to insightful conversation about the fashion industry and are hoping to provide a place for more of that. Stay tuned ....

09-06-2010
Soviet Camaro

It's a paradox; in terms of raw numbers, hits, server queries, etc. we are much busier than ever before. This is why we keep having to upgrade servers, disable database features, etc. But many longtime members feel that there is less going on... it may be that a lot of the current activity is "empty posts" of just smilies, or a few words of agreement (or disagreement) here and there that don't add any real substance.

As Bette says, we are looking at ways to try to stimulate discussion and get more satisfying content.

09-06-2010
once more, with feeling

I appreciate your responses! I've been feeling that something was off for awhile, but didn't want to be overly critical.

What you say makes sense. I don't stay as long or feel as satisfied after visiting. I expect that people would drop in and out of participating, so it's not that some longtime members posts less than they used to, though there is that. But the sense of voice and personality, those things that make a community, are less evident. For a while I compensated by searching "latest posts by" the interesting members, but now that I find that they post less, it doesn't work (and it made me feel like a stalker! )

I'm not sure what suggestions to make as remedy. How do you get substantive content? Or maybe more precisely, how do you get the people who provide substantive content to invest their time and efforts?

I know I'm a bit of a follower that way, and I suspect others would be, too. If I see good posts and interesting personalities, I'd try to follow suit. But when I see the tone of a thread go in a different direction, very topical and breezy and light, I don't want to break into it and sound too serious or self-important.

V.I.P.

If you were a mod ... you'd know what options we are discussing. And you are pretty much on target as to what we are wrestling with.

We are tossing lots of ideas around and seem to have finally come up a few that might help. But, we have to clear them with the company that owns us now, so discussions will remain confidential for a while. But be assured ... our goal is to serve long term members like you while still meeting the company's need to have the hits, anjd big membership, etc.

The substantive content is still there and some members are still providing it. But it's mixed in with a lot of chatter which is common on most sites so it's hard to find. We want to have a way for those members who want meaningful conversations to be able to find them, easily.

Please don't restrain youself because others are just chatting and adding fluff. It's important that members like you continue to participate in your full capacity. It can change the tone of a thread. It can open it up to someone else who had something interesting to offer or had a good question and was just a bit shy. We try to set an example but we are spread thin, so we need every concerned member to assist us in keeping the interesting conversations going.

18-06-2010
V.I.P.

See this Announcement: New Forum: Fashion ... In Depth

Here it is ... what I was talking about:

We have started a new forum, specifically for conversations and debates about fashion. We hope that members take it in the direction that it's intended for ... lovely discussions and sharing ideas.

It's been loaded with threads that are example of the sort of topics and the type of discussions that we are looking for.

19-06-2010
fashion elite

I used to love the old Supermodel Challenge threads. I tried to do a search for any that still exist, but came up empty.

Do any old threads still exist for us to look through?
Are there any active threads that still play this game?
Will posters ever start this game again? Do you think there's interest?

20-06-2010
V.I.P.

Supermodel Challenge Game Season 5!! It's the last one we've had.

To be honest, we no longer promote games because we dedcided that we wanted to get back to our original focus which is conversation about fashion and sharing of information. In fact ... our new Fashion... In Depth forum shows what we've been working on most recently ... more lively discussion and discourse. This is taking our direction back to the original vision for tFS ... a place to discuss fashion.

10-08-2010
V.I.P.

Sorry if its not the right thread but Ive got a question/suggestion : is there any list of ALL possible jobs in fashion on Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion subforum or anywhere else on tfs ? Kinda like an overview. That would be very helpful.

Thank you.

V.I.P.

There are sevearl threads in CEB about careers ... that list various options. Just search that forum by using the keywords career and careers. There's one about what career to consider if you don't sew (careers other than fashion design), there's one that lists various jobs/careers in publishing/magazines and there's a new one about asking for career advice to decide what path to take.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
suggestion, suggestions, thread