How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-08-2010
V.I.P.

Would be lovely if there was a way we could hide ads..I'm so tired of seeing Taylor Momsen and If I see that baby maker ad once more..I'm serious going to be sick..

13-08-2010
V.I.P.

We are owned by an advertising company .... and thier clients need to know that their ads are being seen. So that won't ever happen. If you could hide ads ... then no one would pay for advertising ... and then we'd cease to exist.

But you can block pop up ads ... with a good pop up blocker.

BTW ... the ads you see, depend on where you live (your IP) ... I just got back from Colorado and saw entirely different ads than those we see in Los Angeles.

06-09-2010
you soft and only

I'm wondering if it would be possible to make a pinned post in the magazines section with the cover archives for Vogue UK, US, Italia, etc. because it's sort of hard to find their threads and sometimes the archive topics don't even come up in searches. I think it would be an easier way to post older covers if the threads were readily available.

06-09-2010
V.I.P.

It sounds like a good idea for members who need to search the archives. I'll mention it to the Magazines forum mods and see if it's something they want discuss putting in place.

Issues they would have to deal with which might make this impractical or impossible:
  • If you can't find all the old threads by doing an advanced search, then they won't be able to, either. But maybe they can do this going forward.
  • Someone would have to keep it updated on a regular basis. Mods are volunteer, work only when they have some time and the roster changes from time to time as mods move on. So incoming mods might opt not to do all that extra work or at just forget to update it each month.

Last edited by BetteT; 06-09-2010 at 09:35 PM.
10-09-2010
tfs star

I notice the Model ID thread has been unpinned. I think that's a bad idea.

10-09-2010
The future is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarden View Post
I notice the Model ID thread has been unpinned. I think that's a bad idea.
The thread has been pinned again. Thanks for bringing it to our attention Tarden!

10-09-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
I'm wondering if it would be possible to make a pinned post in the magazines section with the cover archives for Vogue UK, US, Italia, etc. because it's sort of hard to find their threads and sometimes the archive topics don't even come up in searches. I think it would be an easier way to post older covers if the threads were readily available.
I heard back from the mags mods and it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Too labor intensive. And actually pinning the threads (if that is what you meant) will not help since there are sooo many ... the pinned threads would be most of the forum ... so they still would not come to the top.

We can usually find the threads we want by using an advanced search ... for titles only, show threads and search only in the Mags forum, which will narrow it down a lot.

12-09-2010
!

can we do something about the posting of runway pics.i mean is it really necessary to post 3-5 pics from different sources showing the exact same thing? surely it must be affecting your servers... not to mention it's ridiculously annoying!

12-09-2010
V.I.P.

The D&C mods have discussed that. Valid point ... not sure they can actually keep up with reviewing and comparing images during fashion week, and, of course, that is exactly when the probelm occurs. They have a slew of other problems that they are dealing with right now. So, even if they made a rule ... they would be unable to enforce it effectively. I think the consensus was that it would not work .. because they can't really moderate it.

12-09-2010
fashion icon

What happened to actually posting pics of the complete collections in the designer threads? I've been opening up threads to view the collections only to find a few poor-quality pics.The people who start the threads never return to actually post the complete collection. It's really annoying.

13-09-2010
V.I.P.

We can't force people to post more picutres than they want to ... but the D&C mods recently changed the rules about the quality of the pics that must be posted if you want to start a thread (must be a runway, no Twitter pics, nothing blurry, etc.). It's in the Pinned rules near the top of the forum.

If you find that a member has started a thread with the wrong kinds of pic (based on the stated rules), please report it. Most offenders are not even aware of the forum rules ... so we have to talk to them, one at a time so they can learn.

18-10-2010
fashion insider

regarding "Behind the Lense" : i really wish there was some way to differentiate between their actual body of work versus personal style photos. shouldn't their personal clothing choices be in "star style" and their "behind the lense" thread be strictly editorial related? i understand in some cases there isn't enough to separate the two ( ex: tabitha simmons) but in the case of Carine Roitfeld she most definitely has enough editorial back catalogue to keep her work and personal style separate.

20-10-2010
V.I.P.

Star Style is inteneded for people who are not in the fashion business, Behind the Lens is about people who are in the biz and Supporting Cast is about models. Each of these forums are supposed to be about their style and their work (when it relates to fashion) ... in all 3 cases. So that wouldn't work very well, if we started to mix them up ... it would change the entire dynamics of tFS.

As it is, we have a lot of difficulty trying to keep talk about personal issues of all of these people and gossip out of the style forums ... which belongs in Rumour Has It.

However ... be aware that there is already other threads about Carine and Anna Wintour and maybe a couple of other important editors ... about their respective magazines during their reign which features only thier work in the magazine in BTL. That is probably close to what you are thinking about ... a thread about Carine's work. Do a search under Carine's name in BTL and you should find it.

20-10-2010
fashion insider

and you have read my mind i'd sort of forgotten about the magazines "under" so and so' thread; i wish (esp in Carine's case) that they were updated as frequently as their non-editorial "behind the lens" counterparts. i was a bit confused because i was considering starting a personal style thread on designer Bella Freud but was lead to believe it would fit under "Star Style. " thanks for clearing things up!

19-04-2011
V.I.P.

Can the mods please have a discussion about asking users to include picture details (event and date etc) when posting new pics in Style Star, Supporting Cast etc from photo agencies and HQ sites.

I might seem a bit pedantic but it's annoying when a bunch of pics are posted in a thread with just the source. You then have to ask if these pics are old or new, what date, what event the celeb is at etc. It's not hard to include the event details. Photo agencies like Gettys, Zimbo and HQ sites like tlfan.to and celeutopia always have a blurb like (''Reese Witherspoon at ------ premiere, 28 March 2009'' etc).

I got into the habit of posting the blurb with pics because that is what other users who always post HQs do like RoseMary have been doing since we joined TFS.

So can the mods please have a think about this suggestion.

Thank you

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
suggestion, suggestions, thread