How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-07-2011
V.I.P.

Hi BetteT, have you and the other mods had any more thoughts about having users put the picture details (date, event etc) when posting pics in threads?

I noticed that Kimair asked users to do this in Kate Middleton's thread.

13-07-2011
V.I.P.

I apologise if this is not the right thread but I've been noticing (especially as of late) that there is some really bad sourcing of pictures going around. I've seen numerous people in the support cast forum post pictures that they get from Tumblr where the source underneath the picture will just be the url leading to the picture. Like this "http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo...j9tgo1_500.jpg" or the name of the tumblr blog. They are usually reposts, seeing as a lot of people on Tumblr get their photos from tfs.

I just wish there were a better system or maybe some sort of reminder other than the "Posting etiquette, READ THIS BEFORE POSTING" (that I don't think a lot of people notice) which will hopefully prevent people from giving improper credit. And like someone already mentioned in this thread, there should be some sort of info along with the picture. That way you can also search before posting, if you're unsure whether or not it's a repost. If something has indeed been posted before, but without any info, it will be impossible to find using the search function.

13-07-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Label Basher View Post
Hi BetteT, have you and the other mods had any more thoughts about having users put the picture details (date, event etc) when posting pics in threads?

I noticed that Kimair asked users to do this in Kate Middleton's thread.
Yeah ... a couple of forums have had that "suggestion" added to the some of forum rules ... forget which ones now. It's only a suggestion ... not an enforceable rule. Check the Ettiquette or Rules threads pinned near the top. Probably BTW, SS and SC.

Last edited by BetteT; 13-07-2011 at 09:56 PM.
13-07-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellucid View Post
I've seen numerous people in the support cast forum post pictures that they get from Tumblr where the source underneath the picture will just be the url leading to the picture. Like this "http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo...j9tgo1_500.jpg" or the name of the tumblr blog. They are usually reposts, seeing as a lot of people on Tumblr get their photos from tfs.
I can see how that can create reposts ... sort of a cyclical thing, someone posts it here, then someone posts it on their tumblr or blog, then someone else sees it and posts it here again. It's kind of how the internet works .....

Most of the time the original source is not readily available to posting member. Because of that, we do not insist on original sources (with one exception ... if they want to post something from thier own blog/tumblr). The rules state that members must credit the place where they found the pic as their source. However, it's a courtesy to post as much information as you do have. So those credits you are seeing are actually correct ... unless there's a link in it ... that is not allowed.

Also, a rule asking for only "original" sources it not enforceable anyway, because we do not have the manpower to research the posted sources. It would take probably many people working on this 8 hours a day. Moderators are only volunteer members .. so we can't ask them for the extra time out of their lives. They already are overloaded.

So, although it would be nice ... I'm sure you can see why it it's impractical and unenforceable.

Quote:
I just wish there were a better system or maybe some sort of reminder other than the "Posting etiquette, READ THIS BEFORE POSTING" (that I don't think a lot of people notice) which will hopefully prevent people from giving improper credit.
You are correct, most people don't notice the Pinned forum rules, nor the thread rules nor the Community Rules. But, having a system to make them notice and read them before they post each time is also not practical. Would you like to have to click through a whole bunch of rules, everytime you attempt to post something?

But, if members are not crediting ... or crediting their own blogs/tumblr's, etc. or posting any links in thier credits, both of which are not allowed, and they don't heed the quick notices that refer them to the thread, forum or Community rules, sooner or later they will receive a "reminder" with a more detailed explanation and a link to the applicable rules. And from there, ir they continue ... a Warning. At that point, even the worst offenders start to "notice" and start to comply

Quote:
And like someone already mentioned in this thread, there should be some sort of info along with the picture. That way you can also search before posting, if you're unsure whether or not it's a repost. If something has indeed been posted before, but without any info, it will be impossible to find using the search function.
See above ... it's a suggestion, but completely unenforceable, because we don't know if they have access to the information or not. And we sure don't want to tell people not to post pics, if they don't have all the info ... or we'd not get very many pics.

But even if pics are all loaded with information, it still will be very hard to know if it's a repost by doing a search ... because we get so many pics from the exact same event or magazine. In some threads I've seen 20 or 30 pics ... or more of the same person, wearing the same thing, from the same event, just minor differnces in their stance. And more importantly, the way our search engine works (it's not boolean ... won't search a phrase, it only searches individual words) a search using an event name and a person's name as keywords will likely yeild dozens, or even hundreds of posts, many of them of the same event. The member would still have to wade through all those results, clicking on each one, just to open and view the image to see if it's a match or not. That won't happen .... no one is going to do that much work to prevent a repost.

Reposts are not a high priority problem for the moderators, anyway. It's down the list of what is important to watch for. However, if they notice a repost ... if it's of something that was recently posted, they'll remove it. But, it mainly becomes an issue when certain members post almost no new material at all, jamming our threads with old stuff and irritating the other members. And believe me, when it gets bad, those other members will report these and we'll check to see the pattern and talk to that member. We don't expect members to worry about reposts of things that are further back in the thread .. more than about 5 pages anyway (or the last week or two, which ever is shorter). So if it's a thread you read all the time, you'll know if you've seen that picture recently.

Last edited by BetteT; 13-07-2011 at 10:02 PM.
13-07-2011
fashion elite

Why is crediting a self blog/site against the rules? I think there should be some sort of amend to that rule, because sometimes I want to post exclusive pictures that I post on my fansite but I don't in fear that I will get a warning.

14-07-2011
V.I.P.

We don't allow anyone to promote their own sites here or to use us to drive traffic to their sites. It's all explained in the pinned thread about promoting websites and blogs in the Announcements forum.

If you want to share what is on your blog, all you have to do is credit your original source (wherever you got them from). The name of the copyright holder is best, if you have bought usage rights or gotten permission form them to use the photos. If those pictures are some that you shot yourself, then you are the copyright holder and all you say is "taken by me". Simple ... easy.

Last edited by BetteT; 14-07-2011 at 12:40 AM.
14-07-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Yeah ... a couple of forums have had that "suggestion" added to the some of forum rules ... forget which ones now. It's only a suggestion ... not an enforceable rule. Check the Ettiquette or Rules threads pinned near the top. Probably BTW, SS and SC.
Ok well thanks anyway. I'll have a re-read of the Ettiquette or Rules threads.

14-07-2011
V.I.P.

It's a "suggestion" .. a request to add event information if you happen to have it.

But you need to understand that we can't enforce it and that is why it's not a "rule". That is because we can not actually know if the information about the event was available where the member picked up the picture.

So, if there is no information, there is nothing to post. We dont want to delete these pictures ... just because the member doesn't have the information.

Last edited by BetteT; 14-07-2011 at 02:43 PM.
14-07-2011
V.I.P.

^ No I do understand what you are saying and I appreciate you putting it in as a suggestion.

Last edited by Label Basher; 14-07-2011 at 03:46 PM.
16-07-2011
V.I.P.

I've noticed the supporting cast is divided into femmes and hommes (That's a great idea btw) and was wondering if the Admins have thought about doing that for star style? I think it would nice to just be able to browse celeb men fashion without trying to come up with specific names. Female celebrities are always at the top of threads and sometime unless you know specific male people they get a little lost imo.

V.I.P.

How about images for signatures? Like 80x80 photos or something.

16-07-2011
Looking Up

^ I don't really want that. I don't want tFS to become silly with pictures. If anything we need more bandwidth.
And everyone would just put their favourite models, and they get mentioned enough around the forums.

16-07-2011
thunder perfect mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
^ I don't really want that. I don't want tFS to become silly with pictures. If anything we need more bandwidth.
And everyone would just put their favourite models, and they get mentioned enough around the forums.
I agree with you. I would really hate that.

16-07-2011
goodbye kiss

Yeah, I see that happen in other forums, such as bellazon, and find it quite annoying.

16-07-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
and they get mentioned enough around the forums.
and signatures! I can already imagine the gifs featuring the girls listed in their signatures as their favorite models. nightmare.

We used to have that (images in signatures) until.. early 2005, it got so out of control (huge ~FLUORESCENT~ fonts, flashing GIFs that take ages to load, glittered stuff with Kimora Lee's face in the middle, you get the picture..) that the current parameters had to be established. The forum looks tidier this way in my opinion, less trashy.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
suggestion, suggestions, thread