How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-12-2009
V.I.P.

Suggestions thread
I looked for a "suggestions" thread, but couldn't find anything substantial. I think it would be a good idea for members to give feedback if they come up with ideas that could make TFS easier to navigate

Anyways, I was thinking that perhaps it would be a good idea to reorganize the supporting cast forum because there are a LOT of threads, and it's kind of hard to browse when you're looking for a model and don't know their name, or something similar.

I would suggest we divide up that section into a "male models" and "female models" category. I don't know if it can be done, but I think it would make the experience better for us members

Thanks for listening

13-12-2009
V.I.P.

We realize that there is a lot to see here and if you don't know who your are looking for, the search function sure won't help any.

The idea about catergorizing tFS (and SC, in particular) more than it is, has been suggested before and it's not doable at this time for several reasons. Below are the results of previous disscussions about this subject:

We must work within the constraints of an exisitng site template. So, the main reason that this won't work effectively is that we are limited in what we can do. We are limited to one subforum for each forum (which is our only tool for catergorizing things) ... and SC already has a subforum ... The Etc.s of the Modeling World.

In addition, even if we could add subforums, ad infinitum, separating male and female models would not help things very much anyway ... if you are here to browse. With the thousands of threads we have (over 7,500) there would still be thousands of threads in the female model subforum and probably hundreds in the male. So, even if we could , how else could we possibly break it down so that there are only a few hundred threads in a category ... by country? by agency? These factors change all the time ... so soon, the information would be outdated. We don't have enough moderators to keep up with this (they are voluntary, anyway, let's not make it a job for them). It would become a mess and still impossible to navigate. What if you don't know the country or the agency or you do but the thread is in the wrong category, because a model has made some changes ... then what ... how do you find the model now?

So, browsing tFS, without having a specific model's name, is pretty much limited to just reading the active threads ... and in SC that will keep you busy for hours and hours each day.

We appreciate all the suggestions we get and every now and then we are able to incorporate an idea into tFS that came directly from the members.

Last edited by BetteT; 14-12-2009 at 10:37 AM.
13-12-2009
V.I.P.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, it was very informative

I had no idea you could only do a subcategory! Ohhh, that changes everything!

And I agree, it would be difficult to decide on which category to choose.

Hopefully others will come up with better ideas in the future, things that could be put into place for sure

Once again, thanks for the lengthy reply

21-12-2009
front row

i didn't think my question was worth its own thread, but i'm wondering if there could be a longer grace period for "inactivity"? if ever i spend time writing a post longer than a paragraph, tFS kicks me off, and i have to copy my post to clipboard, log in again, and paste it in the box. wouldn't it be better without having to check the "remember me" box every time? i don't want to be "remembered."

21-12-2009
Soviet Camaro

It is better for the site's responsiveness if inactive logins are logged out after the designated period. The servers have to maintain those open connections.

Many browsers have the option to clear cookies on closing, so that might be an option for you if you want your session to last longer and don't want to keep a cookie on your machine.

front row

oh, that makes sense. thanks!

23-12-2009
An die Freude.

power/empty posting
I don't know if it's just me but I think the situation with the "power/empty posting" is getting worse. I'm slowly losing interest coming to the Supporting Cast-forum knowing that the same ~10 users have posted an incredible amount of meaningless posts again. Or the posts are even slightly constructive - but the sheer amount of them in dozens of threads... it's really overwhelming.

I know that at least some mods are aware of this (I saw some friendly reminders of the guidelines in the most "active" threads) but it doesn't seem to work.

23-12-2009
V.I.P.

Just use the report button or PM a mod with the members that power post. I don't usually read the posts in the Supporting Cast, just look for pictures, so I don't even care.

23-12-2009
V.I.P.

For other members who may not know:

Power posting is not occassional short comments or just smilies from various members in a thread. It's when one member repeatedly and frequently posts in the same thread, never adding any meaningfull content ... but only things like "I luv it!" and "Wow!".

If it's a member who is new, we cut them some slack at first. It takes a while to get the vibe and the general way of posting here at tFS. Some new members are just testing the waters to see how they are received before they get enough courage to actually offer some information or explain their opinions.

We suggest that you just ask a member who is doing this a lot in a thread, for an explantion about why they love a certain model, etc. This will encourage them to post something with content and they might take the hint. If they continue and are incessant about it ... then feel free to report them. If the moderator team agrees ... they will have a talk with the member and encourage them to contribute something meaningful.

Last edited by BetteT; 23-12-2009 at 01:14 PM.
06-01-2010
V.I.P.

My suggestion is for all the Last Movie/TV Show/Book you saw/read threads. I've already said this in the individual threads and some members are going along, but mostly people don't, so I was hoping maybe it could become like a 'policy'. I know in When stars wear runway looks thread it's no longer allowed to simply list whether you prefer model or star without providing a comment, which I think is great. So my suggestion is basically to make sure people give some sort of opinion about that last movie/book. Be it a grade, a word, a sentence, anything. I really don't understand the point of having a thread where people just post a name of a movie. It says absolutely nothing. It doesn't start a conversation. It doesn't add anything of value. It's worse than 'empty' posting. I'm not asking here for essays on why you liked or didn't like the last American Idol episode, but if you're posting that you just read, I don't know The Road or Animal Farm, etc, at least give SOME feedback.

What do we think?

The future is stupid

These are my personal thoughts... the way I see it is we have many separate threads for movies & book discussion... so for the two main Book & Movie threads it should be fine to post just the title. If you want to add further commentary then then that's OK too... and many people do so. I personally find that just posting the title is of *value* to me. From there I might go to Netflix, imd, Amazon, etc to find out more info on a movie or book title that catches my interest.

Thank you MyNameIs!

Last edited by MissMagAddict; 07-01-2010 at 12:07 AM.
23-01-2010
V.I.P.

Could the mods of Art of Music forum edit the first post of the seasonal runway music thread and add a list of all the music posted in the replies?That would be much more convenient....

V.I.P.

That would be great for the members. However, it would be extremely time consuming for any moderator .. I would think. It would be above and beyond the mod's numerious other duties and projects that have a higher priority. But ... if one of them wants to volunteer to take on that as an additional project in their spare time, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

12-02-2010
V.I.P.

I was wondering if it could be mandatory or a new rule or something to post thumbnails instead of giant photos? I have a fast connection and a brand new computer and it takes a while before it loads I can only image what happens to members with slower connections.

V.I.P.

^That's already a rule, right ? big sized photos need to be posted in thumbnails. Worst than that is members posting gifs, that absolutely crashes my browser.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
suggestion, suggestions, thread