How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

14-01-2010
V.I.P.

Forum isn't updating. Same problem as on New Year's weekend.

But satisfaction brought it back

14-01-2010
V.I.P.

Yeah, same here! It's not updating, again! Kind of annoying but I guess they'll have it fixed soon

14-01-2010
Soviet Camaro

Tech Update - Please Read
Tech is working on the problems.

The "members viewing forums/threads" feature has been disabled, and the way threads are marked as read has been changed. These changes will help reduce the load on the servers and should keep these problems from re-occurring, once the malfunctioning server is repaired. This repair is ongoing.

Here is the explanation of how threads and forums will be marked read from now on:

Quote:
Now threads and forums will simply be marked read based on the session cookies. Once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option, which is 15 minutes) all threads and forums are considered read.
This will take some getting used to for all of us, but I think we all agree that it will be better than the sync issues we have been experiencing. TFS has grown so large that we are not able to have all the database-intensive features that we used to.

Thanks for your patience and we hope to have things running smoothly again soon.

14-01-2010
V.I.P.

Actually if I read correctly it might be better for me, because when I click on New Posts it always shows threads that have unread posts but haven't been updated since my last visit, so I guess it won't show that any more, ie, I don't have to mark the forum as read because it'll do it for me?

14-01-2010
V.I.P.

i'm not sure i understand how things are going to work now.

14-01-2010
V.I.P.

Neither do I I just don't get that everything was working fine until a month ago and now we have this problem that now in order to be fixed something has to be changed. So now there's more people online than a couple of months ago and that's making these problems ?

14-01-2010
the power of will

I'm afraid I don't understand it either... I don't have any new subcribed threads on my usercp now. does it have any connection with new ways of tfs working?

Stop wherever you find yourself.

14-01-2010
V.I.P.

yea, i understand that the number of forum members are growing; is that the reason for all the issues? Aren't there a lot of inactive accounts on tFS anyway- is there any option to moderators of locking/deleting those accounts if there isn't anyone using them? Just wondering...

14-01-2010
V.I.P.

Is it fixed now? It doesn't seem so...

14-01-2010
oh! darling

I only have 3 pages of New Posts. I don't understand how only 3 pages are new since I didn't check yesterday.

14-01-2010
Charm Offensive

This is ridiculous.

So if I last viewed a 3 days ago or 2 weeks ago I don't get taken back to my first unread post? The thread is just considered read and i get taken to the last post?

So now i'll have to spend my time going back through the pages to find what I last read?

This is going to make spending time on TFS such a bore.

14-01-2010
Soviet Camaro

Quote:
I just don't get that everything was working fine until a month ago and now we have this problem that now in order to be fixed something has to be changed. So now there's more people online than a couple of months ago and that's making these problems ?
There was a steadily increasing number of instances of database sync issues going back for several months. It became a more serious problem recently. A lot of it is due to increased member activity, but there is also a lot of visitor activity that adds to the server load, especially in large threads with a lot of pictures. We will soon be limiting the size of threads and starting new threads more frequently for popular topics.

Quote:
I don't have any new subcribed threads on my usercp now. does it have any connection with new ways of tfs working?
Yes.

Quote:
Aren't there a lot of inactive accounts on tFS anyway- is there any option to moderators of locking/deleting those accounts if there isn't anyone using them?
New unconfirmed accounts are deleted periodically. Inactive accounts don't place that much strain on the server, as no database requests come from inactive accounts. We don't require members to use their accounts with any particular frequency to keep them in good standing.

Quote:
I only have 3 pages of New Posts. I don't understand how only 3 pages are new since I didn't check yesterday.
Please read the tech update.

Quote:
This is ridiculous... This is going to make spending time on TFS such a bore.
Would you rather have database sync issues that make the forum unusable?

[editorial follows]In this situation, tFS is in a sense a victim of its own success. Although we govern the rate of growth via the invitation system, the site is very popular and the servers handle a lot of traffic. There have been server upgrades over the course of tFS' history, and we always eventually outgrow them and upgrade to bigger servers. Each server upgrade brings its own maintenance window and associated technical issues. We hope that the benefits of the site will continue to outweigh the frustrations occasionally brought on by growing pains. Thank all of you for contributing to tFS' growth and success.[/editorial]

Last edited by tangerine; 14-01-2010 at 05:40 PM.

14-01-2010
Charm Offensive

Thank you Tangerine for replying to our questions and concerns. I know you are just trying to help us and do the best for TFS - I just need to vent though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
Would you rather have database sync issues that make the forum unusable?
Well, if it becomes such a pain to use the site and read the threads then I probably won't use much anymore anyway. I've come across lots of forums that don't let you go back to your first unread post and i get so fed up of working through the threads backwards that I soon stop bother visiting them.

The 'first unread post' feature is one big reason why i'm still coming back to TFS 5 years after i joined.

I don't know, surely something could be done? Maybe, only those who pay for membership can post or view the site (controversial, i know), or at least limiting the number of threads each member can create.
Some people seem to create several threads each day and it's getting out of hand.

Anyone who's ever had a photo taken of themselves now seems to have a thread in Supporting Cast!

14-01-2010
PrettySmileyStew ♥

So is it normal to see threads that I iust read and commented on with me as the last post still in my user cp ?
I don't know if I like that.. Lol
I much rather the thread disappear like it used too

14-01-2010
V.I.P.

yeah..that sucks so much!!!!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, post, properly, read, tfs, working