How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-07-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbey View Post
Vent it is then...

My beef is so much about the existence of the adverts - I get it that they need the revenue - but the way they are implemented. The pop-ups often block drop-down menus in such a way that is is literally impossible to get to some of the items in the menus. And the roll-overs sit directly underneath the quick links tab, so when you scroll up or down to get to the tab you can't help but activate it. Moreover, there is no limit on how many times you can activate per page view. Good roll-overs should stop when they have been activated a certain number of times, and only reset when you move to another page. (I really don't know how many more times I can watch the blue furry thing before I start screaming.) This kind of poor implementation detracts from the experience of the site and ultimately just turns people off - from the ads and the site.
We can't do much about what systems they choose to use when putting up ads or who sees which ads, when. I think that they use the same systems here that they use in all of the forums they own (probably as many as 20 forums). In fact, people in different cities get different ads and possibly where you click in tFS will make a difference too. It's demographics that determines which ads you see. So, I don't have a furry blue thing .... lucklily.

Some tips to reduce the frustration of annoying ads:
  • I've learned to veer away from green, underlined words and banners and ads in and around the threads ... that helps some. Don't roll over them.
  • I have a very effective pop up blocker. Install one and turn it on.
  • And most ads disappear in a couple of weeks to a month, depending on their contract, so sometimes you just have to wait it out.
  • There is also a duplicate nav bar at the bottom of each page, and those are always accessible, so if you get stuck, just scroll down and use that one.
  • Please report any technical gliches like ads obscuring the forums, etc. (please provide links and a screen shot of the ad in question) here: tFS Popups and Advertisements: Tech Issues .... Please Read Post #1 for Instructions We will bring any gliches like those to the attention of the site manager at the company who owns all these forums to ask to get some tech support people on it.

Last edited by BetteT; 20-07-2011 at 01:21 PM.

09-08-2011
front row

How does one stop the annoying pop up?
The stupid Elizbabeth Arden ad explodes on my screen every few seconds. Before i had a vodafone ad. How do i turn these silly things off.

I know TFS has to pay bills, but can these ads be a little less intrusive?

09-08-2011
Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctra View Post
The stupid Elizbabeth Arden ad explodes on my screen every few seconds. Before i had a vodafone ad. How do i turn these silly things off.

I know TFS has to pay bills, but can these ads be a little less intrusive?
Moved your post to the thread that exists for this purpose. You may want to read the first post of the thread for more information.

Geometric Discharge

Tech Issue: The Ford Focus ad is really annoying.

26-09-2011
V.I.P.

Yes, I just came here to say that!

Soviet Camaro

If there is an actual technical problem caused by the Ford Focus ad, please report it in the tech thread with details of the technical problem.

Otherwise, it is considered merely annoying, and so I have moved this report to this thread.

trendsetter

I don't know where else to post this but I think that the Ford-advertisement is REALLY annoying. I'm OK with the usual ads but that thing is popping out and making noises when I open new windows.

V.I.P.

That Ford advert is so annoying

I know ads are here to generate revenue, but it is annoying me to the point I'm going to install an ad blocker as it just crosses the line for me in terms of intrusiveness.

I wouldn't mind so much but it is the same advert every time I visit, it covers the whole screen and makes a lot of noise. I also wouldn't mind so much if it were for visitors and not registered members.

28-09-2011
Soviet Camaro

The site manager is looking into this issue of the Ford ad and has requested a screen shot of the ad. Can anyone oblige? Thank you!

Geometric Discharge

I would oblige but this morning it morphed into a Sky advertisement and now it appears to have disappeared entirely!

29-10-2011
rising star

The Nintendo DS ads are extremely annoying. Every time I open a thread a video starts playing and covers the page.

29-10-2011
V.I.P.

^^Same here.

trendsetter

Until recently there were those Sainsburys ads (probably in England only) but they got bigger as the cursor was on them and it also got bigger when I tried to open quick links so I couldn't click on my subscriptions. It was really annoying.

V.I.P.

For a week, I was getting a survey invitation that would hover right in the middle of every single page here and being a mod, means I have to click through dozens of pages every day. I could close it each time, so it was not a big deal ... but very, very annoying. It's gone now ... yay!!

Thank goodness, most of these ads are just a short term thing ... they all go away after a while.

30-10-2011
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marni View Post
The Nintendo DS ads are extremely annoying. Every time I open a thread a video starts playing and covers the page.
I know right! Even the ones at the bottom of the screen. It definitely dosen't want to make me e
Want to buy a DS . I know tfs needs to Make money and all, but the ads are so annoying and forceful. They need to fix them ASAP
Posted via Mobile Device

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, advertisements or, note, popups, post, support, tech, venting or gripes