How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-09-2009
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Venting/Gripes: Advertisements/ Popups. NOTE: No tech support here. See Post #1!
Quote:
Moderator's Note:

This thread is a general gripe thread to register your comments if you are just irritated by specific ads. Please note that we take no action from reports in this thread ... it's for venting only.

If you are having a technical problem ... the ad freezes your computer, you cannot close the ad and/or you are unable to access tFS as a result of a popup, go here to report them in the Tech Support thread. You must read post #1 in that thread for instructions before posting in that thread.

This means that we are no longer going to respond to tech support requests in this thread .... nor are we going to do the extra steps of moving them to the right thread and leaving behind a redirect. Going forward, off topic posts will just be deleted but a PM sent referring them to this post, so the member knows where to post the request for tech support.

Some tips to reduce the frustration of annoying ads:
  • I've learned to veer away from green, underlined words and banners and ads in and around the threads ... that helps some. Don't roll over them.
  • I have a very effective pop up blocker. Install one and turn it on.
  • And most ads disappear in a couple of weeks to a month, depending on their contract, so sometimes you just have to wait it out.
  • There is also a duplicate nav bar at the bottom of each page, and those are always accessible, so if you get stuck, just scroll down and use that one.
  • Please report any technical gliches like ads obscuring the forums, unable to close, etc. (please provide links and a screen shot of the ad in question) here: tFS Popups and Advertisements: Tech Issues .... Please Read Post #1 for Instructions We will bring any gliches like those to the attention of the site manager at the company who owns all these forums to ask to get some tech support people on it.

the HM ad at the top of the page can sometimes be distractive when it scrolls onto the page especially for some of us that use laptops. Anyone else have the same issue where you accedentaly run the cursor over it?

Last edited by BetteT; 24-01-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Adding the third paragraph, to clarify that we are no longer responding to tech support requests.

20-09-2009
V.I.P.

^Uh, yes. Very much so... I really hate ads that do that. It's almost as bad as those Nike (?) commercials that had the audio.

24-09-2009
V.I.P.

I had this problem with the trailer for that animated film, it kept opening and then playing itself

Not sure what to suggest other than keeping your mouse away from it.

28-09-2009
scenester

The H&M ad is killing me. I can't use the search function. If I see Karen Elson one more time I'm going to die.

29-09-2009
V.I.P.

You should be able to approach the search link from underneath ... just avoid rolling your cursor over the ad and it won't drop down.

02-10-2009
V.I.P.

I so agree! The H&M ad can be extremely irritating! It just pops out and stays that way for like a minute.

02-10-2009
windowshopping

The new H&M ads that come over everything are super annoying. It's making it very difficult to check the site with this happening.

02-10-2009
V.I.P.

Get Adblock Plus.
I have it and I don't have any ads at all.

02-10-2009
The future is stupid

^Adblock plus is good. Install that or something else... because the ads aren't going to go away.

02-10-2009
V.I.P.

I saw those Karen H&M ads yesterday for the first time but it was at a bus stop

Lately I'm getting pop-up windows from the same ad and it's really annoying sometimes I get two at the same time. I hope it goes away as soon as possible. Safari can't block this one for some reason

03-10-2009
rising star

I was just about to ask about the same H&M ad... can't use search, can't use anything on the menu, and have to go out of the way not to run my mouse over it, or it blocks out everything because of this drop-down ad. It's been here for so long, I hope that drop-down or pop up ads will be kept away from this area because we can't access those menu features.

03-10-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
You should be able to approach the search link from underneath ... just avoid rolling your cursor over the ad and it won't drop down.

Unfortunately, I can't use the quick links or forum jump because of this ad. And I can't use that search feature because of it, either. I don't like the idea that we have to avoid rolling our mouse over it and go out of our way... it defeats the purpose of having the quick search there in the first place.

I understand the need for ads, and don't mind ads, but when it's these pop out or drop down ads that prevent me from using basic features on the forum, I would hope something would be done about them. BTW I just reported it in the popups thread.

Last edited by Dianochka; 03-10-2009 at 04:59 PM.
03-10-2009
Stitch:the Hand

can we please get rid of the drop down banners? they are driving me mad

03-10-2009
front row

it's everywhere, you don't even touch it , it still seems to drop down on you

04-10-2009
V.I.P.

http://adblockplus.org/en/installation

Install and there you go, no more irritating ads or pop-ups. Super easy and saves you alot of complaining.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, advertisements or, note, popups, post, support, tech, venting or gripes