How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-10-2006

^As someone who already stands in those shoes in a few other locations, I cannot agree more And considering tFS' size and diversity, there is no doubt a hefty price to pay for a pretty purple username!

24-10-2006
Push it to pop it!

Oh, i understand that the mods work hard and have some rules...

I honestly think that almost no posts should be edited or deleted... freedom of speech?? This is really what i started this thread for. I don't want to put down the mods.... just trying to make this a more free forum...

24-10-2006
Soviet Camaro

justin, I admire the sentiment, but have you ever been on forums where the members flame each other endlessly? It gets old fast. Unfortunately some people interpret freedom of speech as freedom to verbally harass and intimidate others whose opinions they disagree with.

I have seen some of the guidelines evolve here in response to such problems. As a mod, I would love to have less to do, believe me, but we would all pay the price in having to wade through a lot of noise to get to the "good stuff."

I can change the thread title to "Abolishing Rules" if you like...

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine
justin, I admire the sentiment, but have you ever been on forums where the members flame each other endlessly? It gets old fast. Unfortunately some people interpret freedom of speech as freedom to verbally harass and intimidate others whose opinions they disagree with.

I have seen some of the guidelines evolve here in response to such problems. As a mod, I would love to have less to do, believe me, but we would all pay the price in having to wade through a lot of noise to get to the "good stuff."

ok guys lets stay nice to each other

24-10-2006
Push it to pop it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine
lol... its ok jared. :p

25-10-2006
Meg
inspired contemplation

I understand your feelings justinleaddict but the truth is, like tang said, it turns into a flaming session pretty quickly. It's hard to apply the rules of a democracy and a whole country onto an internet forum. One of the reasons for this, is there is no accountability. If you flame or saying hateful remarks to someone in real life there are real life repercussions to it, you can't just turn off your computer and walk away.

I think MM's post really put it into perspective (). It's one thing to say 'oh I understand you put time in' but it's another to actually do it. Tfs as much as we all love it, is not US Congress. It does not have a system of checks and balances, nor does it need it. Getting together a great mod squad isn't just about who has the best platform or mandate, because we all need to work together and we all have different strengths. And it's not just about who the most well known people are or who can garner the most votes. Each mod has different strengths and attributes and some of us are quieter or louder than others. And if you have a problem with the way a mod is handling something, please please please (I cannot stress this enough) PM them and ask them about it! If you don't feel comfortable about it, PM me or another mod and ask them about it! PM Andy or Andora and ask them about it! We are constantly improving and discussing. Hope this provides more perspective.

29-10-2006
V.I.P.

I think we should be able to say whatever we want on TFS. Some people are afraid to say how they really feel because a mod may feel differently about a situation or collection and they do not want to voice out for fear of rejection.

Last edited by JJohnson; 29-10-2006 at 07:08 PM.
29-10-2006
still here

I just wanted to say one thing about everyone wanting to vote on things that has sort of been bothering me...

Very few tfsers actually look at the announcements or voice their opinions on things they get a chance to decide on now. The "should the heart and soul section be hidden" poll for example....it's been viewed only 551 times and only 116 people have voted? Perhaps if tfsers showed that they cared more when they get a chance, the moderation team might be encouraged to put other issues up to some sort of vote or discussion.

29-10-2006
V.I.P.

I think justinleaddict meant voting for mods so that the freedom of speech situation could be brought up... I dont have that big of a problem with it, but I have noted that others in the past have had their posts deleted or edited because they expressed themselves thoroughly. And besides I dont see any reason we cant swear....as long as everyone is on topic and not bashing one another it should all be good. BTW It is hard to have a meaningful conversation if one cannot make outside allusions.

29-10-2006
V.I.P.

^ Very well said mundodabolsa

There are reasons that we cannot say whatever we want on TFS. I'll admit it, at first it used to annoy me and I didn't always follow the rules, but then I realized that these rules are what make TFS so great. Go take a look at some other forums. Check how often people reply to topics and voice their opinions. You'd be surprised to see how rare it is to find one as busy and as welcoming as TFS. When there are no rules in a forum, it usualy becomes a jungle: off topic posts, pointless insults, numerous threads on the same topics and so on. There is no structure and people eventualy get tired of trying to find their way through that maze. TFS is almost like a family. We get along for the most part and are very supportive of one another. I think that alot of that has to with the way that the forums are run. Fashion lovers can come here to get what they want. They get to find topics on what interests them and they make friends along the way..what's not to like?

From what I understand, the posts that the mods tend to erase fall into these categories: drugs, weight, politics and religon. These topics tend to get very heated when people get into them and usualy end in useless fights. It's one thing to have a debate on whether or not you think that last Galliano collection was strong or not, it's another to argue whether or not you think so and so has anorexia. TFS has gotten to the point that it is very respected in the fashion industry. Think about all the hype that recently surrounded model Natalia Gotsyli, thanks to story that was featured about her on Entertainment Tonight. After it aired, the mods had to remove alot of comments from her thread. Natalia, as many of you know, is actualy a member of TFS and I highly doubt that she would appreciate fellow members discussing her health. Nobody would. I am all for free speech, but some things are better left undiscussed.

Sorry if I went on a little long. I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone. This is just the way that I see things.

Push it to pop it!

Referring to mundodabolsa's post...I agree. Not many people care how the forum is run.

..and tangerina and meg, i know what you meen. I think this forum is different though. Have we ever tried it? maybe we should...

Yes, jssy4eva, i know there are a couple exceptions to what i am talking about. But what about politics? Why are we not allowed to discuss that? mods?

... I have not been at tfs for nearly as long as a lot of other people have, and I have very little posts compared to a lot of people, but I certainly care a lot more about the people here than those long time members who aren't posting here, and the mods, who, as jared was saying, delete posts, seemingly without much thought (in a few cases, not all i know), and arent saying anything here either...

29-10-2006
Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinleadaddict
...But what about politics? Why are we not allowed to discuss that? mods?
Why not politics? For the reason that jssy4eva stated: These topics tend to get very heated when people get into them and usually end in useless fights.

Believe me, it has happened. Repeatedly.

The mods, as well as most of the membership, are well aware that quantity of posts has nothing to do with quality of posts.

justin, if you could provide a link to an unmoderated forum that runs smoothly, I would love to see it. I am serious. I am open to learning.

Push it to pop it!

...whether or not it will run smoothly is not the point.

29-10-2006

Personally, I'm of the belief that if there were disputable situations involving certain mods, then it should be dealt with on a more personal manner with those moderators alone -- overhauling the entire forum's systematic procedure isn't really necessary...To me, it just seems that such conflicts are rather rare occurrences compared to the massive amount of interactions that go on here everyday.

But that's just me

29-10-2006
Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinleaddict
...whether or not it will run smoothly is not the point.
It may not be the point to you, but it may matter to the person who keeps the site running, and to the members who come here for fashion information rather than experiments in utopian communities or anarchy.

Out of curiousity, and with respect, have you considered starting your own online community where you can run it exactly as you wish? Not trying to run you off, just trying to expand all of our perspectives here.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
moderators, voting