How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-10-2006
Push it to pop it!

Fashion information? I thought this was a fashion discussion forum.

And no I haven't thought of opening my own community.

Would you like me to stop talking? Just let me know so we can all save time, me from writing, you from deleting my posts.

Last edited by justinleaddict; 29-10-2006 at 08:47 PM.

29-10-2006
girl who fell to earth

^^I'm confused at your response because the way i see it tang emphasized that he was respectfully asking you if you had theoretically ever thought of what it would take to run a forum of this size..

tfs serves many functions.. it is certainly a discussion forum but there is also a wealth of information available here in terms of archival information...
if someone wants to read comments on a certain collection during a certain season that information is available to them.. the same can be said for pictures of certain models, work of photographers etc.

one of the main jobs of a moderator is to keep things on track, and on topic... having "free speech" where people take the opportunity to flame each other or have random personal conversations on the board leads to disorganization and is unfair to those who go into threads expecting to find new pictures or new comments only to find random conversations that are ultimately disappointing to them...

Also, someone brought up mods with high post counts who aren't posting in this thread, and I can only ask... can you blame them for not posting in here?
This thread is essentially questioning how all of us on the mod squad became mods (which some of you are unhappy about) with implications that some of us should not be mods...
tang has entered the conversation with what i see as a respectful tone and manner, but still members are quick to jump on him for expressing an opinion and asking theoretical questions
it seems that some ppl in here do not want to talk to the mod squad but about the mod squad

forgive me if i am completely off base, but that's just the way i see it...

though i also think that a lot of valid points are being made in this thread

*eta
as meg said... if any of you think that posts are being edited for no reason other than to censor etc, or have questions about why certain things have been edited/deleted then please bring it up to the mod squad..
address the person who edited and they will more likely than not be able to give you a valid reason... we don't troll the forums deleting comments for no reason by people we supposedly don't like... do any of you honestly think that we have nothing better to do with our time than delete things for no reason?

most of us applied to be mods because we love tfs and want to help make it better in any way we can... it's definitely a labor of love that limits our ability to post as freely or frequently as we would like.. at least for me anyway...
just go ahead and try to scan through every thread in star style to see if things are on track and that the guidelines are being upheld... then see how much time you have to contribute to other parts of the forum you might want to look at as well..

as i said before, i think a lot of valid points have been made in this thread... i think model mom sums up how i feel pretty well... mods are chosen by those who know the site best and recognize what kind of strengths are needed in each forum at what time...

Last edited by ChrissyM; 29-10-2006 at 09:43 PM.
29-10-2006
Push it to pop it!

...it didn't seem that way to me... but alright. Sorry if i misconceived that...

But really I'm not trying to make this thread about the moderators. It just seems to keep coming up. Really, it is not about the moderators. I really don't want to discuss them individually. However, it would help if they came and talked about how they feel about the real issue, which I stated on the first page.

29-10-2006
chaos reigns

Removing or bending rules?
Justin ... I mean ... Im with you ... I was totally shocked when I found out some posts I made on some celeb thread got deleted cuz I said "X looks fat" ... the things absolutely NO rule on tFS has been implemented just because.

I've been here for quite a while and I've seen members come and go, there were som AMAZING members who left just because this rules where not enforced or non-existant. I agree ... most of the time I wish twas like it used to be but I've accepted tFS as it is and it rocks! The mods rock and fashion totally does rock!

girl who fell to earth

justinleaddict as someone who has had many discussions with tangerine i can assure you that he means exactly what he posts and he really meant no disrespect AT ALL..
if anything tang has definitely been one of the moderators who is most vocal about questioning certain rules/guidelines
perhaps his intents will seem more clear if you read his post again...

it's just that in response to one of your comments--having tfs run smoothly IS the point of having moderators...

but back to what you said at the beginning, i think a vote would be impossible and ineffective..
most members really can't know the magnitude of what it is to be a mod if they have never been one.. which is why having applications and having mods chosen for specific sections based on the quality of their posts and the type of poster they are is a good system imo

there are so many sections and mods are assigned more than one section so the whole thing would be disastrously complicated in somewhat mind-boggling ways that i don't want to even attempt to wrap my head around or try to figure out to explain..

Last edited by ChrissyM; 29-10-2006 at 10:00 PM.
29-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarine
Removing or bending rules?
Justin ... I mean ... Im with you ... I was totally shocked when I found out some posts I made on some celeb thread got deleted cuz I said "X looks fat" ... the things absolutely NO rule on tFS has been implemented just because.

I've been here for quite a while and I've seen members come and go, there were som AMAZING members who left just because this rules where not enforced or non-existant. I agree ... most of the time I wish twas like it used to be but I've accepted tFS as it is and it rocks! The mods rock and fashion totally does rock!
Yea saying a celeb seems fat isnt offending someone...i noticed that some of my posts were deleted before for no reason as well. I didnt know which ones, but I noticed my posting count suddently drop. *sigh* if no one is saying bad stuff then why is there a reason to delete? And regarding politics, some mods choose to do what they want...e.g. Comme des garcons SS 07 thread. There was a huge political discussion here among a few members. When I spoke up about it, I was shot down. I guess that mod who participated felt it was relevant....who needs rules?

Last edited by JJohnson; 29-10-2006 at 10:06 PM.
29-10-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinleaddict
I will not name names... but I am probably not the only person here who has seen a mod unnecessarily edit a post, or a mod favor one person in a discussion over another because he or she knows that person.
I agree that the editing of posts feels very arbitrary. It annoys me at times, but I honestly think it has more to do with the fact that the mods simply cannot be everywhere. This is a HUGE forum and some rule violations are bound to be overlooked etc. Also, some mods definitely seem more zealous about deleting/editing, and a few might even favor their friends like you're suggesting, but I believe this will always be the case, regardless of how the mods are being chosen or what the rules are..

Just my 0.02.

29-10-2006
chaos reigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson
Yea saying a celeb seems fat isnt offending someone...i noticed that some of my posts were deleted before for no reason as well. I didnt know which ones, but I noticed my posting count suddently drop. *sigh* if no one is saying bad stuff then why is there a reason to delete? And regarding politics, some mods choose to do what they want...e.g. Comme des garcons SS 07 thread. There was a huge political discussion here among a few members. When I spoke up about it, I was shot down. I guess that mod who participated felt it was relevant....who needs rules?
Jared .. as far as I understand is a health issue (maybe to keep happy the legal depmt -if theres one-) :p

V.I.P.

Very well

29-10-2006
V.I.P.

Im glad we don't have a freedom of speech. So many people post pointless, immature posts. Some can't even spell worlds properly or act like their 5. I also don't think we should vote for mods.

29-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemeray
Im glad we don't have a freedom of speech. So many people post pointless, immature posts. Some can't even spell worlds properly or act like their 5. I also don't think we should vote for mods.
it is a very good thing there is someone in control, this is such a friendly forum, maybe one of the most friendly on the net (really, I have read some, and people get lynched for expressing there opinion)

As for the spelling, please remember, there are people from all over the world here and of all ages, English is pretty hard for some. It is quite an good opurtunity to learn more here, let's give people the chance.

30-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson
Yea saying a celeb seems fat isnt offending someone...i noticed that some of my posts were deleted before for no reason as well. I didnt know which ones, but I noticed my posting count suddently drop. *sigh* if no one is saying bad stuff then why is there a reason to delete?
just out of curiosity: do mods actually have the "power" to radomly reduce the posting count of a member?? or, to just delete certain, single posts that they deem irrelevant or inappropriate?

was just wondering...

30-10-2006
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty33r1b
just out of curiosity: do mods actually have the "power" to radomly reduce the posting count of a member?? or, to just delete certain, single posts that they deem irrelevant or inappropriate?

was just wondering...
When a thread has gone out of hand and has to be cleaned up and a certain member has posted a lot in that thread, the post count can go down a bit. Whenever a post is deleted the post count goes down by one.

Posts that don't abide by the guidelines should be deleted, but because of the vast amount of posts, not all of them get deleted. Unfortunately there's an element of arbitrariness in there, and subjectivity of course, as with all human beings.

30-10-2006
Meg
inspired contemplation

Justin, quite frankly, I think the tone you have taken is quite offensive. To say -
Quote:
But really I'm not trying to make this thread about the moderators. It just seems to keep coming up. Really, it is not about the moderators.
when in fact the title contains the words 'Mods' is completely ridiculous. Of course if you are asking for a new system to determine the mods you are saying that the current one does not work. No mod has to come in here and justify themselves. I have said and others have backed up, that if you have a problem with something a mod has done, PM them! That is taking this whole process into your own hands! But when someone reiterated to PM a mod if you were unhappy with their performance, you brushed it off!

I have absolutely no problem with people questioning the system here, it is perfectly understable and any good system is open to questionning by the people who make it what it is. But the fashion spot is first and foremost a place to discuss FASHION. As others have said, it is about information and being able to find it quickly and easily. My major in university was political science but why on Earth would I want to discuss politics here?! If I want to discuss politics, I go to a place where I can discuss with likeminded people. When I want to discuss fashion, I come here.

I have been a member here for over THREE years. Believe me, I've seen this place in it's infancy and to what it is today. I do not mean to take a sharp tone, but I do know tfs inside and out and for someone to come in and complain that they can't swear, well then, I think you are missing the point of tfs entirely.

Last edited by Meg; 30-10-2006 at 02:07 AM.
30-10-2006
V.I.P.

I agree with Jssy and Meg.

I've myself witnessed biased posts by the moderation team, I've even made them myself and there are many people I dont like for exclusively personal reasons, which doesnt necessarily mean I go around deleting their stupid posts. I only became a mod in April and I'm actually starting to find this all too amusing, especially how some members de-humanise moderators and take them as a group of people APART from the entire community, that came out of nowhere and was placed her to annoy the rest...in an underdog-like attitude, of course. it's even embarrasing to read and for me, it only speaks for a great and unfortunate lack of information about the forum you supposedly love:

first of all, politics were allowed for a very long time, go browse the heart & soul section, i think there are still some undeleted threads regarding the 2004 US Election, it went on relatively passively and then it became a very pointless fight and the thread had to be shut down. Not to mention the threads that were deleted because of nasty personal attacks.
A lot of people felt insulted for having a different belief, their current impression is probably not about the fashion spot being a fashion forum but more about a left-wing or right-wing place when, unlike most forums, this place has people from ALL OVER THE WORLD, from all walks of life, religions and political viewpoints.
the politics policy, I now understand, was always paramount for us to keep things peacefully and friendly.
Recently, someone started an Ann Coulter thread [which stayed in the forum for hours because mods cant sometimes managed to be EVEYWHERE], the topic was filled with insults within minutes, even insults to a member who's known for her great contributions in Star Style.
and with that, all i meant to say is that we've managed to be friends or at least acquaintances with people who, perhaps in real life [where ALL conversations are allowed] we would've never even bothered to start a conversation with. we're here because we love fashion, there are a gazillion threads about everything from designers, stores, models, stylists, photographers, shoes, everything really, I dont understand why people want to come here to discuss politics or be creepy obsessive about anorexic models...seriously, there's more in fashion than that if you educate yourself and the whole politics talk...like meg, I also take Foreign Affairs twice a week for pure pleasure and my profound love for the topic...but, why on earth would I want to discuss that here?, as if in the middle of the politics class, I'd start bitching on how I dont like the recent Undercover collection, it's completely senseless. you dont die if you dont discuss your favorite things in certain places...maybe as a teenager, you do, but you grow up and you learn that you can get along with someone by having one simple thing in common.

Now, on the swearing Johnson mentions, I'd love to suggest a look at an old thread but it's unfortunately been removed: insults were ALSO allowed for a long time, I've actually done quite an effort on refining myself...and still working on it, haha.
..and for experience, in both real and virtual life, I know it takes you absolutely nowhere while RESPECT does take you places.
I dont really know what's there to get in this regard either, we're not angels here, we wont give ' ' if someone called you an a**hole, we'll react in the same way the offense was delivered and how the discussion will develop...well, it's predictable and we can imagine it since I assume we've all been there in either another forum or real world.
The whole complain on not allowing insults is, well...pointless, and saying it's a normal thing to do..hmm..it's not, it's a COMMON thing to do, but being a normal human being is actually being able to interact with other people and not end up with your nose broken because you simply lacked in manners and couldnt contain yourself.

Last edited by MulletProof; 30-10-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
moderators, voting