How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
30-10-2006
  46
V.I.P.
 
kanita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: on the stairway to a void
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,922
That explains a lot, thank you MulletProof

A question about the swearing, when you quote an movie or song, is that allowed?

  Reply With Quote
 
30-10-2006
  47
Storm & Sommer
 
Hanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cph
Gender: femme
Posts: 15,921
kan-i-ta if you use the *'s (as MulletProof did) you can use swear words in movie or song quotes..

__________________

pinterest : hanneonpin
.
  Reply With Quote
30-10-2006
  48
V.I.P.
 
kanita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: on the stairway to a void
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanne
kan-i-ta if you use the *'s (as MulletProof did) you can use swear words in movie or song quotes..

  Reply With Quote
30-10-2006
  49
backstage pass
 
MarilynMonroe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 775
I know a couple of my posts have been edited/deleted and I said nothing that broke any rules, that was rude to someone else or anything uncalled for, it was just because the mod on that day didn't agree that Kate Moss had on an ugly outfit and that Pete's shoes were dirty. haha

I just heard today that the mods can read everyone's personal messages and that they do? Why is this? Aren't they supposed to be PERSONAL?


Last edited by MarilynMonroe; 30-10-2006 at 12:26 PM.
  Reply With Quote
30-10-2006
  50
Storm & Sommer
 
Hanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cph
Gender: femme
Posts: 15,921
MarilynMonroe you have been misinformed, no mod can read pm's.

__________________

pinterest : hanneonpin
.
  Reply With Quote
30-10-2006
  51
a dim capacity for wings
 
Estella*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: la rue
Gender: femme
Posts: 7,651
please refrain from posting wild speculations. private messages are private and are not read by anyone other than the receiver.

and again, if you feel your posts have been deleted without reason feel free to contact any mod. we scrupulously dicuss almost every action we take on this forum but there's always a chance that something comes across wrong.

__________________
mode schoepfung
estella mare
  Reply With Quote
30-10-2006
  52
backstage pass
 
MarilynMonroe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 775
^ Okay, I have heard that from a lot of different people; one who used to be a mod here herself.
Thanks for clearing it up.
Keep up the good work mods!


Last edited by MarilynMonroe; 30-10-2006 at 12:29 PM.
  Reply With Quote
30-10-2006
  53
fashion icon
 
chanelnumber5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: UK
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,312
I will say now I really, really, really do appriciate all they do for this forum, one example is the tremendous amount of work they do on the Weight Thread which must be very hard work for the mods and i think we should be greatful we have theweight thread at all, and personally i find it unfair when people (im not saying on this thread has just in general ) start critisizing the mods work and like some mods have said "dehumanising" them. So thank you mods (Im sorry this posts sounds so creepy and like im sucking up but i just wanted to say that first)

I dont like the idea of voting for mods. I am a great, great believer in the freedom of speech and democratic society, but for goodness sake this is a FASHION FORUM not some sort of governemnt, if you feel this strongly about democracy make a politics blog or something but a fashion forum probably isnt the best place to start a campaign about democrtic society, I know I for one joined up with this site to look at pictures of dresses not to challenge the democracy or whatever of the site.

Plus i know people will probably dislike this, but i am being perfectly honest here, I know I would vote for my friends on TFS or the people I think are the nicest. That is one flaw and I know many others, although I know some may deny it if they had the choice between a friend and someone they couldnt stand even if that person had a better "manifesto" or whatever they would choose their friend.

On the subject of censoring posts, i think it is perfectly reasonable, i dont come on this site to have rude messages hurled at me, I come to discuss fashion, so if someone is very rude to me i expect that post to be deleted or censored. Thankfully, I have only once been particularly upset by a mean post directed at me. On the subject of politics or religion it is annoying sometimes not to be able to discuss it but at the end of the day its causes far far too much arguing.

Quote:
Some people are afraid to say how they really feel because a mod may feel differently about a situation or collection and they do not want to voice out for fear of rejection.
I can sympathise with this post a little, but its not just mods i worry will think differently just users in gerneral on places like Designer and Collection or Personal style or supporting cast it is nothing personal its just that compared to the rest of you i know so little about designers or models and am know where near as stylish as you guys and i worry i'll say something stupid or say something wrong, which is why i stick to Heart and Soul as I dont feel so shy there, but when i do venture into other forums everyone is always very nice so i geuss i should stop feeling so shy .

Sorry for all the rambling and if i offended anyone

__________________
Rise up
And take the power back
  Reply With Quote
30-10-2006
  54
Push it to pop it!
 
justinleaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: home of the brave
Gender: homme
Posts: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
Justin, quite frankly, I think the tone you have taken is quite offensive. To say - when in fact the title contains the words 'Mods' is completely ridiculous. Of course if you are asking for a new system to determine the mods you are saying that the current one does not work. No mod has to come in here and justify themselves. I have said and others have backed up, that if you have a problem with something a mod has done, PM them! That is taking this whole process into your own hands! But when someone reiterated to PM a mod if you were unhappy with their performance, you brushed it off!
I meant moderators individually... I don't want to put specific people down...

So what if it is offensive? ...If i don't think it is working I am going to say it. I also don't like how our government handles a lot of things. Should I not say anothing about that either?

If you want to discuss specific people we can. I don't really want to though. I would rather discuss it as a whole to keep it kind of peaceful, rather than personal.

I thought we should have a thread for people discuss how the moderators handle things, and i KNOW a lot of people have a problem with it, and people have left tfs for this reason. Don't you think that is reason enough to discuss this issue?

Anyway.... I am pretty much done here. I'm not going to continue defending my arguements.....

  Reply With Quote
30-10-2006
  55
etre soi-meme
 
Lena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: europe
Gender: femme
Posts: 23,965
^ what exactly is the issue that you think made members leave the forums? did they leave because of non-allowed-politics-drugs discussions??

Quote:
Quote:
Some people are afraid to say how they really feel because a mod may feel differently about a situation or collection and they do not want to voice out for fear of rejection.
I can sympathise with this post a little, but its not just mods i worry will think differently just users in gerneral on places like Designer and Collection or Personal style or supporting cast it is nothing personal its just that compared to the rest of you i know so little about designers or models and am know where near as stylish as you guys and i worry i'll say something stupid or say something wrong, which is why i stick to Heart and Soul as I dont feel so shy there, but when i do venture into other forums everyone is always very nice so i geuss i should stop feeling so shy .
thats an issue and it shouldnt happen, we are all free to voice opinions no matter how little -or how much- we know about fashion..
please feel free to post in the forums that 'scare' you and remember,hat no matter how cheesy this sounds.. everyone -including mods- has a bad day every now and then, nobody's perfect

i hate it when members are been bashed for voicing their view,
i've been victimised myself recently and it wasnt by mods
its sad to meet with agression for voicing your view,
no matter how ignorant a view can be, it has a reason and should be heard

respect is the key


  Reply With Quote
30-10-2006
  56
Meg
inspired contemplation
 
Meg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: London by way of North America
Gender: femme
Posts: 17,064
I wrote a long response but have deleted it because I am just rephrasing things I have said previously. Justin, if you want to feel victimized, you are free to do so. The guidelines are in place for a reason, and if you, or anyone else has a question or concern about any of these reasons, please PM a mod, Admin, or fellow member for clarification. While we at the mod squad value all our members input, we also try and have a 'larger picture' view of how the forum is run and how it's members interact and understand and appreciate that our members need to have faith that we try and run tfs as best we can to ensure the happiness for the maximum number of people. That said, if you have an individual problem, please contact one of us so that we can help you.

  Reply With Quote
30-10-2006
  57
fashion icon
 
FashionJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In A Black Hole
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,113
Personally i don't agree on voting for mods, but i understand why justinleaddict is saying that.

Certain rules have to be followed if we want this forum to be useful and mods are working for that. I trully tfs, you can find loads of info, from the best sunscreen to the perfect dress, and everything in between. Information on designers, collections, fashionshows, models, photographers, ads, eds, celebs, skin products, hair, make up, shoes, bags, watches, cell phones, the list can go on and on. It's amazing how many things you can learn here. I think moderators are doing a great job, and that most of them are really sweet and respectful.

BUT

As a moderator noted, we are all humans and we do mistakes. Editing or deleting posts is good (in a way), especially if someone's offensive or swears excessively, etc, but that means that during the process some posts will be edited or deleted for no real reason (someone mentioned that a mod deleted her post because she was saying that Kate's outfit was ugly, which is (if you ask me) quite unacceptable). I don't have anything against any moderator (except for one example which i won't mention because i think that s/he understood his/er mistake), but i think they should think twice before they use their power. I also understand why now TFS is invitation only, but i don't like the fact that i have to "justify" to the mods why my friend deserves to come here. I repeat once again that i totally understand why it's invitation only, but that doesn't erase the fact that i don't like the justification part, so i won't invite anyone and we'll all be happy.

Anyway, i learn a lot of things here, i try to contribute as much as i can, i don't really care about anything else. I think we should all take it easy, members and moderators. It's a forum we are learning and we are having fun.

__________________
"Très Très Cool Et Très Très Chic"

Last edited by FashionJunkie; 30-10-2006 at 05:01 PM.
  Reply With Quote
30-10-2006
  58
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarilynMonroe

I just heard today that the mods can read everyone's personal messages and that they do? Why is this? Aren't they supposed to be PERSONAL?
wow---someone is LYING to your face dear....
telling BIG FAT LIES...
so it leaves me wondering what else they are lying to you about.......
i wouldn't believe another word they say if i were you....
....

*some people just have an issue with any perceived form of authority...
simple as that....
but we do not live in a vacuum and we need to have some sort of structure in order to keep things running smoothly...
and i am sorry...but that IS the point...


quote:Faith Akiyama
Quote:
Personally, I'm of the belief that if there were disputable situations involving certain mods, then it should be dealt with on a more personal manner with those moderators alone -- overhauling the entire forum's systematic procedure isn't really necessary...To me, it just seems that such conflicts are rather rare occurrences compared to the massive amount of interactions that go on here everyday.
i could not have said this better myself...
if there are some individuals who have personal issues with particular mods...that is quite inevitable... and should be addressed on a PERSONAL level....
but it does not justify changing a system that has been extremely successful for the majority of tFS members...
and our system is clearly working for the majority of our happy community...as evidenced by the responses in this very thread..
*or lack thereof....


__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior




Last edited by softgrey; 30-10-2006 at 06:26 PM.
  Reply With Quote
30-10-2006
  59
V.I.P.
 
lemeray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by kan-i-ta
As for the spelling, please remember, there are people from all over the world here and of all ages, English is pretty hard for some. It is quite an good opurtunity to learn more here, let's give people the chance.
Oh no I wasn't talking about the people who can't write English very well. I meant the people who write like this: lyk, 2day, etc.


  Reply With Quote
30-10-2006
  60
girl who fell to earth
 
ChrissyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Boston
Gender: femme
Posts: 18,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinleaddict
I meant moderators individually... I don't want to put specific people down...

So what if it is offensive? ...If i don't think it is working I am going to say it. I also don't like how our government handles a lot of things. Should I not say anothing about that either?

If you want to discuss specific people we can. I don't really want to though. I would rather discuss it as a whole to keep it kind of peaceful, rather than personal.

I thought we should have a thread for people discuss how the moderators handle things, and i KNOW a lot of people have a problem with it, and people have left tfs for this reason. Don't you think that is reason enough to discuss this issue?

Anyway.... I am pretty much done here. I'm not going to continue defending my arguements.....
I truly do not mean to pick on you by replying to this post but I can't help but feel that you are contradicting yourself here....

It is clear that you take issue with certain specific moderators, and you claim that you want to keep things peaceful rather than personal but in your attempt to sort of "keep the peace" it just seems that you are implying that there is something "wrong" with the entire system rather than having a problem with a select number of individuals...

I do not fault you for speaking up if you feel that things are not working, but if the problem lacks specifics and seems to be abstract then it definitely becomes more difficult, if not impossible, to fix

If you would like to address the specific issues you have with specific members of the mod squad i urge you to do it in private over PM out of respect for everyone, and address your concerns to a team leader or moderator you feel comfortable bringing the subject up to

I think it is important to bring things up if members are unhappy.. driving people away is certainly not anyone's intention

Also, on another note--when comments are deleted they almost always can be brought back, so if anyone feels that certain comments were deleted without reason, as Meg said, please speak up! Don't be afraid to PM a mod.. we don't bite!
Sometimes posts are deleted not because there is anything wrong with them but because the original image or comment that they were responding to was deleted.. if upon further examination something was deleted by mistake (which also may happen as we are only human) and it makes sense to bring it back then that is a possible option


Last edited by ChrissyM; 30-10-2006 at 10:44 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
moderators, voting
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.