How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-11-2006
V.I.P.

You know it is interesting whoever posted that the Nataliya Gotsyii fireworks lately were so closely moderated because she herself is a member. I guess we all say 'oh but they are celebrities they ask for it...' but whereas Lindsay Lohan et al really do ask for the criticisms and furthermore probably don't come on TFS, girls like Nataliya are just doing jobs that don't place them very far into the spotlight at all. Other than the 60,000 people on this site, how many people know of her? Thus, the strict moderation of model discussion really makes sense. They are just girls - very young ones at that. To say their look isn't right is one thing but to say they are ill when they aren't or when they are private about it, is another. If I read those sort of criticisms... my GOD just thinking about it is awful!

But on the other hand, it is probably fair to remember that most posters think posting on a forum creates a solely cyber dialogue, because it is very rare for a forum to be so well known in the industry it concentrates on. Rather than accusations etc, it is probably best that posts are deleted, warnings are quietly issued, and conversations are steered... which is what pretty much happens anyway.

02-11-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyM
I truly do not mean to pick on you by replying to this post but I can't help but feel that you are contradicting yourself here....

It is clear that you take issue with certain specific moderators, and you claim that you want to keep things peaceful rather than personal but in your attempt to sort of "keep the peace" it just seems that you are implying that there is something "wrong" with the entire system rather than having a problem with a select number of individuals...
I don't think it is fair to chant the rules at Justin. I don't think that helps. What does help is reading this thread. Whereas when you are a community member, mod decisions can often seem arbitary, it now seems quite the opposite to me, due to various points made over the last three pages. But on the other hand, a quick explanation may sometimes be necessary because although we have to understand how difficult the mod job is, mods have to understand how frustrating unexplained authority can be, especially in a medium most people just use to relax before going to bed or whatever. Sometimes the system can indeed feel 'wrong'. It is a two way street. I understand that there isn't time always to make those explanations but perhaps this thread can be pinned because I now understand why measures are just taken without mass consultation... that mass is simply too big.

02-11-2006
V.I.P.

I agree, sienna.

There are many cases, however, where unexplained authority is really only unexplainable to the person who got his post deleted, most people simply dont take the time to really read tfs guidelines...but they go wild when they cant find their message anymore. it's very frustrating, at least to me. if they'd take the time to read them one day, they'd probably feel more comfortable in the entire community and perhaps stop seeing mods as some sort of virtual gestapo simply because TFS rules have little to do with say, ateaseweb.com

Last edited by MulletProof; 02-11-2006 at 01:00 PM.
02-11-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof
stop seeing mods as some sort of virtual gestapo simply
YES! I have actually seen comments about TFS on other sites when I search for it on google (when I am not on my own computer with bookmarks etc). A personal touch does a world of good though. The best mods in my book use a human speak instead of 'legalese', which everyone likes (fashionistas and lawyers don't really go together!)

02-11-2006
V.I.P.

the language...[which i havent masterised on yet :p ], is because we have people from all ages/lifestyles here...I know this probably isnt an issue in some countries, I know it is an issue on mine...and at least that's how i understand the procedure here...difference between tu et vous kind of thing, just to be respectful and not get a maybe too juvenile tone that might come across as rude.

flaunt the imperfection

the simple uniform responses/reasons that mods give are also meant to avoid making anything a personal issue...because none of it is...and none of it should be...

so we just stick to the facts and avoid anything too 'flowery'...
the point is that the same rules apply to everyone and so we use the same language with everyone...

hope that clarifies things...

02-11-2006
V.I.P.

How do people get to be mods in the first place? I've always been wondering that.

princely

Generally what happens is an announcement is made in the announcements section where it describes what areas we are looking for moderators in. From then on, there is a template of questions we ask applicants to send to the Team leaders and admins for review. From there they look through their applications and those with strong applications and a good reputation on the board are chosen for the specific sections they would most likely be suitable for.

The selections are well thought out and take a while to decide for the most part.

03-11-2006
Meg
inspired contemplation

hey! I happen to think politics/law make a great combination! They are very similar in many ways. anyway, offtopic. I just wanted to add to ybf's answer that while we do have 'open calls' for mods we also accept applications year round from people, if someone feels like submitting and we always hang on to previous applications because sometimes though a person would make a great mod, the areas that need mods aren't for them. ie. We need more mods for Supporting Cast but a person would make a great mod in Handbags.

03-11-2006
Unveil Yourself....

I can't do nothing else but resound many posts of mods (including the one above me!) and members alike in here. What I would like to say, though, to cover a lot of issues that are being addressed here:

This is fashion discussion community. Discussion meaning that we can healthily exchange opinions on various topics. Rudeness is inflamatory and therefore not a discussion. We are a community, meaning that we live by a certain structure and with that comes a certain set of rules. But first and foremost this place is about FASHION. Thus politics, weight, drugs, whatever does not belong on this forum. That certain set of rules is a combo of the fact that this a fashion place and a discussion place. You add all these three together and you get a succesful and popular (60000 members, hello!) forum.

Also, I am pretty fed up with people stating that we tend to edit because we 'like certain people more' or 'don't agree with what is being said.' I feel offended when I read that because I know that I have never and will never do that and I also know that every other mod feels exactly the same. As said we are no nazi gestapo... we are just fashionlovers who happen to like structure and are actually offering our free time to put those two aspects with lots of love and passion (which I hope you all will have noticed) into this website that has by now claimed my life for the past 2,5 years... but that's my problem :p

twitter.com/ErikP87
05-11-2006
V.I.P.

Just to add my viewpoint ... I am one of the new Mods on here and yet to issue a warning ... since I'm still figuring out how it all works and getting up to speed with the varied and numerous issues.

The first thing I've learned about the mods is that they are very human and do care that everyone is treated fairly. That is exactly why the warnings, etc. are pretty much impersonal ... to keep the fairness. No name calling, no insults, no attitudes and no personal attacks from the mods ... everyone gets the same warnings and warnings are given for violations of the posted rules.

What I also see is that most members here do understand and follow the rules. There are only a few are radical and beligerent people who seem to take pleasure in disrupting the discussions. And I know that I'm not interested in participating (as a member) on any forum that allows this disruptive behaviour. It's totally amazing that a forum as large as tFS runs so well ... and that's due to the steady and consistent hand of the mods.

The various personalities, ages and backgrounds of the mod group seem to work well to assure that there are checks and balances and prevents any one mod from going out on a personal vendetta. Warnings and any disciplinary actions are discussed with the other mods and Team Leaders and opinions are gathered before an action is taken or, sometimes, no action is taken after discussion. It's not a perfect system ... nothing ever is ... but it's one of the best I've seen.

Last edited by BetteT; 05-11-2006 at 02:00 PM.
05-11-2006
tfs star

I think the way that Mods are chosen are fine they way they are.

One thing I like about the site is that there are never any strong insults thrown at people. Having looked at other forums I have been disgusted at some of the vile names people have been called just because they dared to voice their own opinion.

A few weeks back I was browsing through a style star thread and a member put forward a constructive opinion about the "star". Because this member had posted a comment which did not consist of "Ohhhhh she is so stylish" "She always looks great...." this member was subjected to "If you don't like her then why visit her thread" ..... A mod came in and set it straight that this member had the right to voice their view as long as it was not offensive.

05-11-2006
V.I.P.

^YES! I hate that. When people are shouted down because they are commenting in a thread about someone they don't necessarily ADORE

06-11-2006
Unveil Yourself....

^Could you give us a clear example of that... i.e. a link. If a mod would shout someone down for an opinion (which is stated without breaking the guidelines) in the role of a mod, not in the role of a member, then you should always report that, because that can't happen.

twitter.com/ErikP87
06-11-2006
Meg
inspired contemplation

I don't think that is what Sienna was saying Mr.Dale (though please correct me if I'm wrong). I thought what she was saying was that she doesn't like when people give an opinion in a thread that is negative/against for example a certain celebrity, and then other members shout them down and say they should leave if they have something positive to say, and she appreciates when a mod steps in and says that that person is free to voice their opinion as long as it doesn't turn into flaming. But Sienna, definately correct me if that wasn't your intention

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
moderators, voting