How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-11-2006
girl who fell to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisa
But is there any particular reason why it's only visible to moderators?
Well, if you think about it it wouldn't make sense for it to be visible for everyone because then a lot of people would feel compelled to express their opinions about all of the issues. The reason that we have moderators from all sorts of different backgrounds, places, occupations, ages etc is so that we can represent to a certain degree the many opinions of our members. You should know that it is very rare for any decision to be unanimous.

Also, I believe that if you're not a moderator then reading the moderator forums would be really boring. Most members come in to post and read about all sorts of interesting things on the board... most of the posts in the moderator forum are usually about whether to merge certain threads, or whether a thread fits better in another section.

I honestly don't see a purpose for the mod forum to be visible to all the members--problems are honestly better solved through PMs about concerns as Mullet and Softgrey mentioned...

26-11-2006
still here

Quote:
personally I would think it a huge invasion of my privacy if all of tfs could see the administrators discussing something I did wrong, any problems with me, etc.

I'm still traumatized to this day by having been called down to the principal's office in the 7th grade in front of my entire math class.

who likes getting in trouble in front of other people? not me!

26-11-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyM
Well, if you think about it it wouldn't make sense for it to be visible for everyone because then a lot of people would feel compelled to express their opinions about all of the issues. The reason that we have moderators from all sorts of different backgrounds, places, occupations, ages etc is so that we can represent to a certain degree the many opinions of our members. You should know that it is very rare for any decision to be unanimous.

Also, I believe that if you're not a moderator then reading the moderator forums would be really boring. Most members come in to post and read about all sorts of interesting things on the board... most of the posts in the moderator forum are usually about whether to merge certain threads, or whether a thread fits better in another section.

I honestly don't see a purpose for the mod forum to be visible to all the members--problems are honestly better solved through PMs about concerns as Mullet and Softgrey mentioned...
Well it could be a forum with posting only open to mods? The benefit for me would be easier understanding of the application of the rules, like I said before, and it would obviously clear up all of this "so and so mod hates me so they delete my post" stuff. About the PMs issue though, that keeps things secret, and just fuels all of these mod superiority conspiracy theories, IMO.

Mundodabolsa: (I hope I spelled that right) You're getting in trouble in front of other people anyways, because when your posts are edited or deleted it says so. This idea would just make the reasoning apparent to you and those who would make similar mistakes. Besides, it could be a pretty good encouragement not to break the rules, if you felt so strongly about it.

Last edited by kisa; 26-11-2006 at 08:55 PM.
26-11-2006
girl who fell to earth

Quote:

Edit: Actually, now I have something to add, because I just noticed one of my posts was edited. I said "coked out girl slumped in the corner who forgot to wear underpants" I figure it was edited because of "coked out," but the whole sentence was edited out, not just the "coked out" part. Also no reasoning was given, so how would I know? I know it can't be the underpants thing, because it was talked about in the Lindsay Lohan thread, when Lindsay Lohan actually forgot to wear underpants to the kid's choice awards or something. Anyways, I would really like to read the scrupulous consideration that took place before deleting that one sentence. But for undisclosed reasons I can't? I just find that weird, it would lead to a better understanding of the application of the rules, and less resentment towards mods...so...what gives?
We discuss many things at length in the forum but you should know that many posts are edited based on the judgement of the moderator who happens to read the comment and feels that it should be edited.

Your post was most likely edited due to the "coked out" part... and the only reason I can give you for the deletion of the entire sentence is that the person editing may have thought that the sentence no longer made sense without the part that was against the guidelines.

Like I said in my previous post, your best bet in this case would be to PM the mod who edited the post and express your concerns--I would be shocked if the mod did not reply and attempt to explain their actions.

Contacting us about individual incidents like this makes a lot more sense than making the moderator forums public.

26-11-2006
girl who fell to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mundodabolsa
personally I would think it a huge invasion of my privacy if all of tfs could see the administrators discussing something I did wrong, any problems with me, etc.

I'm still traumatized to this day by having been called down to the principal's office in the 7th grade in front of my entire math class.

this is a very good point mundo... keeping the mod forums quiet allows us to be as discreet as possible in dealing with whatever comes up.

the whole forum does not need to know that xyzmember made a thread that was considered inappropriate...

26-11-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mundodabolsa

26-11-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyM
this is a very good point mundo... keeping the mod forums quiet allows us to be as discreet as possible in dealing with whatever comes up.

the whole forum does not need to know that xyzmember made a thread that was considered inappropriate...
Along those lines, I made a music thread to talk about Paris Hilton's cd when it came out. (As opposed to her life, style whatever) It wasn't deleted. It was merged, with a message something along the lines of "Maybe you think Paris Hilton is a musician but she is not and we already have a thread on her." I don't think Paris Hilton is a TALENTED musician, but she released a CD, she is now a musician in the popular sense. If thread mergers and deletion go like that, then this entire argument is a cop out. It would be much less humiliating, to me anyways, to see actual valid reasons why my thread was merged, not just made fun of with no available recourse.

backstage pass

I fished out the exact statement:

Quote:
it's great that you think of her as a musician, at least she has one fan now!.

however, she's 99.9 % celebrity and .1% musician or singer so this thread will be merged with the existing one. sorry and have a great day. cheers!.
That's really very discreet.

girl who fell to earth

^^ i actually just looked that up as well so I could figure out what happened...

I can see how the tone of the post is upsetting, and I honestly would suggest that you discuss this with us over PM--even now--because it was obviously something that upset you and I don't think that everyone reading this thread necessarily needs to/wants to be a part of the discussion.

I honestly think the thread was merged because it looked like you were starting another Paris Hilton thread and for the sake of not being repetitive/keeping the discussion in one place/making searches easier we prefer to have 1 thread per "star" or whoever. If the thread had been titled "The Stars are Blind by Paris Hilton" or whatever the cd was called I'm guessing it most likely would have stayed (though I'm not an art of noise mod so I'm not 100% sure how things work in that section).

Last edited by ChrissyM; 26-11-2006 at 09:19 PM.
27-11-2006
Meg
inspired contemplation

Mod conspiracy issues?! Please. It's an internet forum! Almost all the mods have full time jobs or full time education, no one has the time to try and make life harder for the posters. All we do is work our hardest to make the forums the best place we can. If people aren't going to PM us about issues they are having (which I and several mods have numerous times encouraged you to do) then please quit complaining about it. The best way to create transparency in the decision making process (other than opening up the mod squad discussion area which isn't the best idea for reasons listed above) is for you to call people on their actions! If you refuse to take an active part in PMing mod's when they've made a decision or done something you disagree with, then you are simply enabling these actions to continue. Also please bear in mind that something can be read several different ways. The first time I read that response to your Paris Hilton thread I thought it quite abrupt but when I scrolled back up and read it again, I read it quite friendly and wasn't sure that if I had responded, it would have been any different.

Last edited by Meg; 27-11-2006 at 03:05 AM.
27-11-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
Mod conspiracy issues?! Please. It's an internet forum! Almost all the mods have full time jobs or full time education, no one has the time to try and make life harder for the posters. All we do is work our hardest to make the forums the best place we can. If people aren't going to PM us about issues they are having (which I and several mods have numerous times encouraged you to do) then please quit complaining about it. The best way to create transparency in the decision making process (other than opening up the mod squad discussion area which isn't the best idea for reasons listed above) is for you to call people on their actions! If you refuse to take an active part in PMing mod's when they've made a decision or done something you disagree with, then you are simply enabling these actions to continue. Also please bear in mind that something can be read several different ways. The first time I read that response to your Paris Hilton thread I thought it quite abrupt but when I scrolled back up and read it again, I read it quite friendly and wasn't sure that if I had responded, it would have been any different.
I never said there WERE mod conspiracy issues, but it's obvious that people think there are or COULD BE, considering this thread was made. Besides I am making a suggestion with the intent of bettering the forum, not complaining, and it was nothing personal anyways. I did not say that I refused to take an active part in PMing mods, I said that transparency in these issues would encourage and make it easier to deal with issues, and I'm sorry, but private messaging someone everytime you have a problem is NOT transparent. The idea is that much like members are held personally accountable for their actions in the forum, mods could be as well. I'm not saying that any mods are doing anything wrong, but there would be much fewer people wondering why their post was deleted and thinking it was favouritism if we could see the process.

Meg
inspired contemplation

I understand that you want to better the forums and have no issues with this. Sitting there resenting a mod instead of contacting them is however, not helpful. There is a process - it's called the Guidelines. If you are well familiar with them and still do not understand why something is done then why not PM them? Why is that such an issue I do not understand. That is holding a mod accountable. That said, we do have a feature that we hope to expand so that everyone can see the reason for deleting a post. I've had PM's from people in the past who might say 'why did this get deleted' and I have had no issues checking it out and keeping that member abreast of what happened. And we do make an effort to PM people if their thread is going to get merged or spammed or deleted. I've always encouraged people to be open with their feedback but it feels like we are beating a dead horse here. We of course take everything on board but opening up the mod squad forums does not seem logical.

27-11-2006
flaunt the imperfection..

fyi- mods are held accountable by one another as well...
if a mod does something that is questionable..that is also brought up for discussion..
no one gets a free ride if they aren't following the guidelines...or they have a sharp tone...etc...
the rules appply to everyone...

take it from me...:p

*but as mundo said...it's not really something that needs to be made an issue of in front of the entire forum....
we take it up with the individual and resolve it in the best way possible...with as little disruption to the forum as possible...

this is not the people's court...it's a privately owned forum for discussing fashion...
and i see a very few people posting in here, which leads me to believe that most of our members would rather be discussing fashion than discussing policy...

and that pretty much says it all ---doesn't it?...

Last edited by softgrey; 27-11-2006 at 07:05 PM.
27-11-2006
Amour Comme Hiver

Voting would be good, but there would have to be campaigns of sort and such... or else, it could turn into the California race for governor!

28-11-2006
V.I.P.

I didn't want to post, but whatever. I have completely familiarized myself with the Guidlines (I've read them thoroughly 3 times) and generally post accordingly. I have no issues with mods as a whole, in fact, I think they're the reason why this is such a huge, wonderful forum. On the other hand, reading this thread is making me upset. If anyone has any dissenting opinion, they're basically beaten down and told to "Read the rules". As someone who HAS read the rules after seeing my edited posts, I know that some decisions made by SOME mods, are iffy. Once I said that I hoped a model looked "healthier". I made no mention of weight, or drug use, or anything of that sort. I was simply saying that I hoped a woman that I found beautiful, had more of a glow and sparkle next season. And yet, because it contained a weight-based innuendo (not an actual weight comment), it was edited. I violated no rules (last time I checked, there was no mention of innuendo in the guidlines). What if a model was int he hospital and I wished her well? Would that be "against tFS guidlines"? It's silly to think that none of the mods make petty or personal decisions. All mods are human of course

As for PMing the mods, most of generally don't want to start any conflicts. I also don't want to report posts because I would honestly feel like a b**ch if I did. And I, for one, think that if I PM a mod, I run the risk of being banned (as people I know have been) for being "rude" or something of that sort. I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels weird about that, or who feels like they'll be "violating tFS guidlines" if they voice any opinion that goes against the current rules.

OK, I've typed far too much, and I'll stop now!!

Last edited by xmodel citizen; 28-11-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
moderators, voting