How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-10-2006
Push it to pop it!

Voting for Moderators?
I would like to discuss voting for moderators and rules at tfs. I am just curious as to what people think of this idea.

Please share any opinion you have, any at all. Please be as honest as possible.

thank you

23-10-2006
V.I.P.

Sounds like an interesting idea

23-10-2006
VSFS 2009!

I think it's a good idea. I'm curious. How do TFSers become mods?

23-10-2006
V.I.P.

I don't think voting on Mods would be a good idea. I like the way that they are chosen now, which is through PM'ing your anwsers through certain questions to the Mod team and letting them decide...I think that voting would be unfair becaust it would turn into a popularity contest and some people would probably feel bad if they didn't make it and so on.

In terms of the rules, I personaly don't have any problems with them. Yes, TFS does have alot of them, but therre's a reason for that. It keeps everything organized. The reason that I don't visit alot of other forums is because most of them have no rules, and that can cause alot of chaos.

Last edited by jssy4eva; 23-10-2006 at 04:57 PM.
23-10-2006

I think voting for mods is a workable proposal on paper, but with such a large-scaled forum, it's quite common for great members to only post in certain forums/subforums/threads...so if you aren't well-known around a certain area of tFS, unintentional biases will probably work against you during voting That's just my two cents!

Last edited by Faith Akiyama; 23-10-2006 at 05:00 PM.
23-10-2006
VSFS 2009!

Actually, you guys make good points that I haven't really thought of. I just thought voting was a pretty good idea because we would be voting for the members who we view as good, fair mods (not saying those here aren't) and they would be viewed as more accessible because we've known them previously before they were mods.

Anyway. I agree with both Faith and Jessy, it would be a popularity contest. Some of us only stick to a few subforums and we're not very known to the others outside of Supporting Cast or Star Style, etc.

23-10-2006
V.I.P.

After a bad experience at a different message board, I have to agree that a vote wouldn't be a great idea. The difference is that here, there are so many sub-forums and different areas on the site that it's hard for everyone to know about some people. It would turn into a thing of elitism, of who knows who. I like the way that it is done now because then it's up to the decision of the leaders and it keeps everything running smoothly.

23-10-2006
V.I.P.

Hmmm interesting....would a ranking system be useful then or is that still based on popularity?

23-10-2006
V.I.P.

unless we have anonymous voting and things to make sure that everyone only votes once, it's hard to keep everything under control. anonymous voting is ok in real life situations but on the internet, it's probably a bit hard. well my opinion anyway

JJohnson, what do you mean abt a ranking system? as in us ranking the mods? wouldn't that be just like another popularity contest? *shrugs*

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleur137
unless we have anonymous voting and things to make sure that everyone only votes once, it's hard to keep everything under control. anonymous voting is ok in real life situations but on the internet, it's probably a bit hard. well my opinion anyway

JJohnson, what do you mean abt a ranking system? as in us ranking the mods? wouldn't that be just like another popularity contest? *shrugs*
oh nvm its like the same thing...oh well

24-10-2006
Push it to pop it!

Yes i agree. Voting would probably cause problems.

I will not name names... but I am probably not the only person here who has seen a mod unnecessarily edit a post, or a mod favor one person in a discussion over another because he or she knows that person.

I think to be a moderator you should need have more than just the set requirements.

Am i the only one who thinks this is a problem? I think that mods should have rules too....

24-10-2006
V.I.P.

I like the fact you guys have given up on democracy because voting would "cause problems"!

I think voting is a great idea. I dont understand the principle that we shouldn't have it because then it would become a popularity contest. That is what democracy is about. That is why leaders like Bush and Blair are tracked through 'opinion polls' and 'popularity polls'. I do think however, that each candidate should have a manifesto and we should all agree to vote on manifestos. This should eliminate the problem of us not knowing the candidate.

Moderating is a little bit secretive (but very effective -this is the best moderated forum online) for my liking. As in the nomination processes etc. It should be FAR better advertised on the site. I for one never know who is up for election or whatever because I rarely go into the Announcement section.

Last edited by SiennaInLondon; 24-10-2006 at 03:37 PM.
24-10-2006
Push it to pop it!

^ I agree. By the way, when i said it would cause problems, and i actually do think it might, i didn't mean we should give up the idea

24-10-2006
Soviet Camaro

justinleadaddict, I am curious to know why you think there are no rules for mods? Because there are; if anything, mods have considerably less freedom than standard members. We need to try to set a good example, as well as conform to the same guidelines.

Any member can apply to be a mod; you do need to watch the announcements, though, if this interests you.

Last edited by tangerine; 24-10-2006 at 04:10 PM.
24-10-2006
V.I.P.

I wish for one day that each of you could stand in a mod shoes. Most of them have full time jobs or they are attending school,but yet they take the time to spend hours on this forum editing, solving problems and settling disputes. Everyone thanks it's a piece of cake....stand in line to be a mod...You have a pm box full of complaints,or worse....you are called names behind your back if you have to edit a post or lock a thread. No one understands that hours of discussion goes on before any final decision is made to make changes to the site. You lose friends because they think you are full of yourself because you are a "mod" now. You say if that's the case then why mod at all? Because this site is worth all the effort,you believe in tFS and your willing to take all the flak to make sure it stays one of the best fashion sites on the web. The decision to bring a new mod on board should be left to the people who know this site best.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
moderators, voting