How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-11-2010
V.I.P.

I just checked and the thing you may have received is not a reminder, but just an auto pm, something automatically sent to members when one of their posts has been removed...
I agree about the model iD thread there are a lot of posts that do break the rules, mainly because lots of new or not regular members post there, and they may not be familiar with the rules yet... We try to check that thread in particulat as often as we can and always remove uncredited pictures or leave a notice in the thread asking for the source when it's some really brand new member.. Of course it may happen that we miss some posts... In that case, there is the report fonction... Not that I encourage you to point other member's mistakes - wouldn't love the idea of members always checking each others- but you have the possibility to do it, the tool is here... This tool is actually more helpful for more serious violations such as disrespecting posts that the quicker are removed, the better...
And as for the VS thread, I agree with you, it's been a disaster..
Looks like many mods, me the first, have given up there
But I guess the thread will be reviewed as it is every year, after the event, and cleaned.
I'm sorry that you feel that something unfair has happened. May be unfair that your post has been removed while some other similar stay, but it's all a matter of time and chance there. You didn't receive anything for that. No warning, no reminder, so that should, and I hope will, erase any feeling of unfairness.

19-11-2010
V.I.P.

so to reply to this precise question

- I ask because I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to police my posts and determine what is a private discussion versus what is not-

I think this is quite arbitrary...
when do off topic starts? it can be more or less obvious depending on contexts. then, what to do ? remove or let it go as much as it won't lead any further off topic discussion... So it's mainly up to moderators judgement in some cases... but you will never get a reminder or a warning for a fault that is not an obvious one and depending on mod judgement.

Some threads do have some more strict rules but it's always mentionned #1.

For that post of yours that has been removed, I think both actions are acceptable... Leaving it, wouldn't have been harmful, but removing it is relevant too since you adress to someone in particular about something that only concerns him/her... You could easily have used the karma function for it...
If you are unsure, you can ask yourself, may I use karma function instead, will help you to make out what tends to be off topic/personnal matters exposed to be removed by a moderator and what fully has its place in the thread for everyone to read..

I hope it helps to clarify the situation

Last edited by mariemaud; 19-11-2010 at 03:52 PM.
19-11-2010
V.I.P.

I'd like to add that we will often let an off topic remark stay because it's inconsequential ... just an ofhand remark.

But, sometimes that remark will just spark a further discussion among two or more members, taking the thread way off track. So, then we'll go back and remove all the off topic posts after the fact, including the one that sparked the off topic discussion. We do this to prevent any other members from seeing it and continuing in the wrong direction. When we do this, we delete all of the posts in one fell swoop ... and everyone gets an automated PM ... so they know what happend.

We cannot be everywhere all the time ... so we mainly just spot check as much as we are able. Sooner or later we get to all the active members and they slowly learn the rules and start to comply. It takes time ... and we have to acutally see it to be able to address it with the individual members.

Mods are only volunteer members ... and we ask them to handle what they see while they are in the forums ... they are not assigned to read every single post... it would be impossible. Just because we don't remove something doesn't make it OK for other members to do it too ... it means we just did not see it. It's always a problem in the fastest moving threads ... really, really difficult to keep up with the thread.

So we just ask our members to set the best example they can for the newer members. And yes, we do ask the members to alert us to problems ... via the "Report Post" function ... so that helps us focus on current issues, expecially the more serious ones.

Last edited by BetteT; 19-11-2010 at 04:05 PM.
19-11-2010
V.I.P.

RE: the avatar thread and crediting ... you made a good point. Yes, we are pretty loose with that. It's probably because we can't credit our avatars when we are actaully using them anyway (nothing in the system allows a place to put a credit)... so it's kind of a weird situation that we have never addressed. Not too likely that the copyright holders will even notice it's there ... they monitor the threads that actually have names of model, photographers, magazines, etc. as part of the titles. So we almost never hear from copyright holders regarding either personal avatars or the avatar threads in Member Support.

Last edited by BetteT; 19-11-2010 at 04:17 PM.
19-11-2010
fashion elite

Thank you guys very much for your reasoned responses.
I'm sorry, because I kind of ranted there, I was frustrated.
I really do love and appreciate TFS -- (that's obvious!) so I appreciate my place here.
Thanks again and I will take everything said here into consideration.

10-12-2010
goodbye kiss

I had one of my posts deleted, because of 'improper credit'. I remember writing down the source, and since the website I got the pictures requires to also post a link to it when reposting their images, I also posted the link right below the source. Maybe that's the reason it got removed? I mean, I did not link the source, so what's the difference between writing the link below or above the images?

10-12-2010
Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgirlbr View Post
I had one of my posts deleted, because of 'improper credit'. I remember writing down the source, and since the website I got the pictures requires to also post a link to it when reposting their images, I also posted the link right below the source. Maybe that's the reason it got removed? I mean, I did not link the source, so what's the difference between writing the link below or above the images?
Your post was deleted because of the link. As stated in the crediting guidelines, you may not post a link in a credit.

If the site you are sourcing from requires a live link to be posted, then you cannot use that source on tFS, per our crediting rules.

As a friend of mine says, "vexing, but true!"

goodbye kiss

Thank you for explaining me tangerine
I'll keep it in mind next time.

10-12-2010
backstage pass

My thread "Models without gap between thighs" was removed and I didn't receive any notification.

10-12-2010
Confused & Bewildered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBonChic View Post
My thread "Models without gap between thighs" was removed and I didn't receive any notification.
Wild guess would be something about 'weight talk', but I can't explain why no notice. Perhaps lost in the system somewhere?

10-12-2010
backstage pass

I initially guess there was sth to do with weight talk but I dont think thigh gap has anything to do with weight (I did research and it's a matter of bone, which is not forbidden to be talked about on tFS). Posting models without thigh gap is not indicative of saying that they're "fat" for modelling or sth. I hope the thread will not be banned

11-12-2010
V.I.P.

Unfortunately, when whole threads are removed ... there is nothing in the system set up to automatically notify you ... so it's something that the moderator must handle by PM. We do ask the mods to notify whenever possible ... but sometimes they forget or are in a hurry. Since the mods are unpaid volunteers ... and have real lives outside of tFS, sometimes more important things take prioity.

So ... if a thread, that you started, disappears and you want to know why ... just PM one of the moderators of that particular forum (the names of the mods for all forums are listed on the right, in the main listings next to each forum) and, if he does not already know (the mods of each forum often discuss things before they remove threads), he can track it and find out.

Last edited by BetteT; 11-12-2010 at 06:33 PM.
17-12-2010
backstage pass

I can't believe it. It has been nearly a week and I've tried to reach as many mods of ETC thread as possible (that excludes those who don't allow PM from any other members than "buddy list") but none of them care to reply me. What kind of operation is that ? I might be wrong (which I have yet to think I am) but that doesn't mean I don't deserve a reasonable explanation.

17-12-2010
V.I.P.

That's what Team Leaders are for, LeBonChic .... if you have a problem with a moderator, find one of us ... there are 8 of us (you can see our titles which say Mod Squad Leader) and lodge your complaint and we'll look into it for you.

I beleive that by now, you have already received a Pm form a Mod Squad Leader.

Remember ... moddrators are only volunteers who don't get paid to do this. They all have real lives outside of tFS. Escpecially at this time of year, many of our mods are on holiday with family, etc. and will be back in a week or two.

If you don't get a timely response within about 48 hours, please just try again with a different moderator or PM a Mod Squad Leader. It's more likely that you will get a prompt response if you happen to choose one that is on duty the day you send it.

19-12-2010
fashion insider

Why was my post on the "What's on your mind" thread deleted?
I've read the rules and I'm pretty sure I didn't break any...

Tags
deleted, edited, post#1, posts, privacy, protect, warnings or reminders