How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-06-2005
V.I.P.

What qualities do you think it takes to be a good mod?
I am not asking for nominations or even the mention of anyones name. All I want to know is what qualities members think it takes to be a good mod for TFS. I would really like to know the answer to this. Thanks.

24-06-2005
V.I.P.

be like model mom........ does that get me points?....

this is a good question model mom....i like all the mods here....they seem to be fair, have a good sense of humor, good points of view, etc....i think something that makes a good mod is someone who follows the rules that they give to everyone, are kind and give feedback to members when asked.....that's pretty much it...can't think of much now...

V.I.P.

It seems to me that the number one quality in a mod should be the ability to step back from a dispute and not get personally involved. There have been quite a few occasions when mods have gotten just as involved in childish arguments as those who started them. So yeah...that's important to me.

Then there are more obvious attributes like the ability to follow basic TFS rules. If a mod doesn't know the rules on appropriate posting, quoting, signatures, pictures, etc., he/she can't really do a thorough job.

25-06-2005
V.I.P.

^ i absolutely agree... i think a good mod definitely needs to be able to maintain that distance in disputes or touchy issues... and also not let their personal biases affect discussion... as well as know when to step in to enforce the rules.
that said, with how fast tfs is growing, our mods have so much on their hands... and i think they're doing a pretty good job. it's not easy!

25-06-2005
princely

I think a good quality mod is someone who dosent take a bias on topics, and isnt hypocritical. Another good quality of a mod is someone who can be a little understanding, and more helpful instead of dominating and sounding too forceful and ridiculous. Sometimes when members post and threads get locked the closing reply sometimes sounds very rude and harsh.

Overall id say the mods are doing a great job, and are really helpful and friendly to the members!

25-06-2005
flaunt the imperfection

i'd say a good mod on a fashion forum full of hormonal teenagers needs to be a saint...

25-06-2005
flaunt the imperfection

thanks for the karma here alex......

softie...

25-06-2005
princely

hormonal teenagers

25-06-2005
etre soi-meme

kudos for the topic MM, great feedback guys

25-06-2005
V.I.P.

-kind and helpful

-no snoby/agressive/judgmental additued

- knowlagable

I also would prefer members who have been around longer to be mods over newer members, becuase I think they deserve it for dedication and contribution.

V.I.P.

Should be FAIR and don't show favouritism only to a certain group of members :slower:

25-06-2005
flaunt the imperfection

being able to read and write english is crucial...:p

25-06-2005
front row

Someone who is willing to take criticism and comments into consideration. Too many times on many of the forums I visit, moderators and administrators dismiss any criticism regarding a decision made by saying they have the authority to do what they want.

Certainly that's true, however IMO as a moderator you're still a part of a community which only functions properly with input from all parts.

Luckily I haven't really noticed any of that here thus far though.

25-06-2005
about to fall or fly

this is a really good topic, model_mom...i agree with a lot of the points brought up, namely something that alexn said: don't get too involved in arguments. something that i've always admired about the fashion spot above some other forums is that it's primarily a really friendly place to be! it's especially refreshing when the mods aren't taking part in ridiculous arguments. i like it when the step in and break it up when they feel the need..it never seems unfounded when they do.

also, someone who can stand up for him/herself when he/she feels that something needs to be done. as in life, one wouldn't let him/herself be walked on, or let his or her friends be. someone who can stand up for him/herself and take charge. in a case like at the fashion spot, just speaking up when a thread is going awry or when an individual or a group of individuals is misbehaving. and on the topic of misbehaving, a good mod should know what exactly misbehaving is for any given situation. keeping the forums running smoothly, on topic, everyone happy and friendly, and just a generally all around wonderful attitude. because, honestly, i feel great about coming here because i know that most people aren't going to jump on everything anyone says, which is a really nice feeling to have.

26-06-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ania*
Should be FAIR and don't show favouritism only to a certain group of members :slower:
agreed

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
good, mod, qualities, takes