How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-02-2009
V.I.P.

I just purchased an Epson Stylus SX405.. does anybody else have this scanner?

21-02-2009
V.I.P.

When I scan a magazine cover which has fluorescent colour text. The text always has a different colour. It is always a more softer colour.. does anyone have any tips on how to change this?

The future is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogue28 View Post
When I scan a magazine cover which has fluorescent colour text. The text always has a different colour. It is always a more softer colour.. does anyone have any tips on how to change this?

Interesting question since a fluorescent colour is a spot colour and can't be made from CMYK or RGB. You might try increasing the saturation to make the color appear more vivid.

21-02-2009
V.I.P.

I tried that and the whole cover went weird..
I think I just need to play around with the settings or something..

front row

Couple of things...

Stay away from some of the HP scanners. I picked up a HP ScanJet G4010 a few months ago because my Epson was failing and was psyched because the scanner had 6-color, 96-bit scanning. I thought... SWEET... means less color correction for me...

Problem is, this scanner relies on PHYSICAL MEMORY... and this means that there are caps on image sizes. I am lucky if can get 200 DPI 8x10 images out of this thing. Maybe I am missing something, but teh more research I was doing, I was seeing others complaining this as well.

By contrast, I have an older Epson GT10000 which I love. Sucks that I still have to have a SCSI card, but especially with Euro mags... Being able to scan larger, A3 images is key. It is an older scanner, only 36-bit color I believe, but I can scan 600 even 1200 dpi and descreen and generate huge images.

Another piece as well. Some better scanning software does wonders as well. SilverFast or ArtScan offer a ton more features than a lot of the out of the box drivers, but have a learning curve as well

11-07-2009
V.I.P.

Does anyone have a Brother scanner?

I recently bought the MFC-490CW
but can't work out how to descreen images?!

13-07-2009
V.I.P.

Does anyone know any scanning software I can download that includes descreen? I can't tell you how angry I am to have bought a new scanner without this function available I primarily bought this for magazines, and the quality is just laughable... what a waste of $$. I can't believe they make them without a descreen option!?

Designerleather, do you know if SilverFast or ArtScan can be used with any brand of scanner?

Last edited by *Bianca*; 13-07-2009 at 08:08 AM.

13-07-2009
V.I.P.

^Can't you take it back to them & get your money back? Best brands for scanners are HP & Canon imo.

14-07-2009
front row

I looked up on both SilverFast and Art-Scan's websites and it appears that neither supports Brother scanners.

I have tended to like Epson, though their color reproduction sometimes takes a hit.

My problem with HP is scanners like the G4010 while it claims 96-bit scanning, it is LIMITED to PHYSICAL MEMORY... so though I can scan at 96-bits, even with 3GB of Ram, if you want to do ANY POST processing (dust and scratch removal, de-screening) the image size you can scan is TINY.

I think this may be a limitation of the HP Driver, but like your Brother, it is not supported by a lot of 3rd part software. Latest Version of Art-Scan does not function with my HP, though if I had paid about $40 more, the G4050 is supported by Silverfast.

All and all I find Art-Scan easier to use than SilverFast. Silverfast really is the far more powerful tool, but for me, a lot of this is scanning quickly and efficiently.

The word to the wise, sometimes it is better to check first: http://www.art-scan.com/scanners.html

I have also found that I prefer getting to know how to use software like Art-Scan and Silverfast so as my scanning hardware changes over the years, I don't get stuck with bundled software that does not do things like de-screen.

Another option, if you are a photoshop user is something like the Descreen plug-in:

http://www.descreen.net/eng/soft/descreen/descreen.htm

Haven't really used it, but might help you out removing moire and other artifacts.

24-08-2009
backstage pass

Tips & Tricks
I have a question, how do you guys scan really big images that doesn't fit in your scanner using photoshop?

24-08-2009
V.I.P.

I scan it in fours (if it fits that way) - upper left, upper right, bottom left, bottom right, and then just stitch the four parts together in Photoshop: make a canvas big enough for the entire image, put all 4 scans into the right corners, and then spend about an hour lining them up exactly lol.

front row

Even better... Get an A3 scanner. How many things do you have to scan that are larger than 11"x17"?

I used to do the line up in twos or fours and would drive me insane

24-08-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingless View Post
I scan it in fours (if it fits that way) - upper left, upper right, bottom left, bottom right, and then just stitch the four parts together in Photoshop: make a canvas big enough for the entire image, put all 4 scans into the right corners, and then spend about an hour lining them up exactly lol.
I do that as well.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designerleather View Post
Even better... Get an A3 scanner. How many things do you have to scan that are larger than 11"x17"?

I used to do the line up in twos or fours and would drive me insane
If only I had the cash for one lol!! I don't know about most of you - but I couldn't afford to buy a brand new A3 scanner when my good-quality A4 one is still working fine. Jealous of you!

front row

^ You can often look at office clear outs. I paid $125 for my Epson GT-10000.

The one good thing about a recession/depression is with so many business going under, you can get a steal on a lot of office electronics.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
scanner, scanning, tips, tricks