How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Information Spot / Member Support & Feedback
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-02-2011
you soft and only

Thanks.

I have one more question about "prepping" the magazine before I scan it, so if anybody can answer I'd appreciate it.

What is the best way to remove a sticker from a magazine? I don't mean those really tiny white price tags, but I mean the ones they usually put on imported magazines. I've heard a hairdryer is the best way to remove the sticker because it melts the glue off, but are there any other strategies or is that the best way to go?

16-03-2011
An die Freude.

With more and more "big" magazines like Vogue appearing as a digital edition, is it ok to post screencaptures of these digital editions? Or are there legal problems compared to scans?

I'm pretty sure the next-generation iPad (late 2011/2012) will have a very high quality Retina-display and and iPad-versions of magazines will have an amazing quality.

It would be a lot easier to make screenshots/captures than scan the magazines.

16-03-2011
V.I.P.

Of course there are legal problems, but there are for scans too, it won't be any different. It wasn't that long ago that famous scans website, BW Greyscale, was forced to remove the majority of their fashion magazine scans by the publishers because they were threatening to sue. All magazine images are copyrighted, which usually means you're not allowed to reproduce them -> scanning is a way of reproducing them, so technically, it's not allowed. However, most magazines and publishing houses don't pursue this aggressively, you're not likely to get in trouble. Whether or not this changes with digital versions, only time will tell!

However, when I ripped HQ videos from the iPad app for LOVE Magazine a little while ago, and put them on YouTube, the official LOVE magazine Twitter retweeted my video, so they didn't seem to mind. Your mileage may vary!

front row

the most helpful tip i can offer: lots of newer photocopiers have a usb port which enables pages to be scanned direct to usb - far faster and cheaper than buying an a3 scanner!

about konica minolta copiers: their scan quality is headache-inducingly terrible.

V.I.P.

So, I just bought a scanner. It's the Canon CanoScan LiDE 110. More like a birthday/Christmas gift to myself.

Here's a sample scan using it:

Scanned by me

What do you guys think about its quality? Let me know.

V.I.P.

Looks really good to me. I can even see the little creases or scratches in the N and I can see the line where they cropped the image along the pillow that extends beyond her lower back ... you can see the hard line of the crop against the white background.

07-01-2012
V.I.P.

Your scan looks awesome! Very clear and sharp - I assume this is straight out of the scanner? Did you use the Magazine setting or the Color Photo one? You might want to run a tiny bit of a descreen filter on the scan to get rid of some of the scanner grain, but even that's optional since the scan already looks so clear! Great job!

V.I.P.

My scanner is a Canon PIXMA MP270. So far I've been using only Preview or ImageCapture to scan pictures because I haven't been able to get any of Canon's softwares to work (CanoScan, ScanGear, MP Navigator etc.)

This is how a scan turns out when I don't play around with the settings and just scan it as it is:

How is this for a scan? It looks alright to me, but from reading this thread I've discovered that I have a lot to learn still Is there anything I can do to make it better or are there any downloadable softwares that will improve the quality of my scans?

24-10-2012
front row

Tips for scanning images?
Hey guys!

So, I'm scanning a whole lot of magazines at the moment but I'm still learning a lot about how to get the best possible quality pictures. Does anyone else who scans stuff on here have any advice or tips in terms of how they go about it?

In particular, how do some of you scan a two-page picture and remove the gap in the middle? Pulling the pages of a magazine apart usually means a few gaps appear in between the pages, and I haven't really figured out a way around that but I see some people posting two-page images that look flawless.

25-10-2012
V.I.P.

There's already a thread for tips and tricks, this one has helped me a lot:

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f44...cks-71232.html

25-10-2012
V.I.P.

Thanks, naya. Merged the two threads.

26-10-2012
front row

Thanks indeed! Giving it a read now.

26-10-2012
trendsetter

If i was to say i'm wanting a purchase a scanner which is good quality but relatively cheap, what would you recommend?

29-10-2012
front row

Personally, I use a Brother scanner and the picture quality is quite good. Mine wasn't particularly cheap (it's an A3 scanner, so I can scan large-format magazines) but I'm sure there would be A4 scanners that are much cheaper!

From what I've heard from most people, HP scanners are generally the worst of the big brands.

Also, I never thought of using a utility knife to remove the pages - thanks to the people in this thread who mentioned it!

09-11-2012
front row

Sorry to double post, but there's one thing I'm having trouble figuring out.

How do you guys work with scanning two-page images? I've seen some scans on here of two-page images that look AMAZING, but I often run into problems getting the colours to match properly across both pages, or getting the two halves of the image to line up perfectly (and no matter how careful I am in removing the pages so I can scan them, there is almost always a small line or gap in between the pages.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
scanner, scanning, tips, tricks