How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-08-2010
rising star

I've been hearing that they may have to close 1/3 of their NYC stores-they expanded WAY too quickly. Even in Vancouver we have 2 stores within walking distance of each other.

I think they'll get bought out though. They're way too big of an international presence. As someone pointed out-if Escada could be rescued, why would AA get left behind? I think AA brings in a lot more revenue and has way more stores/employees/etc than Escada.

19-08-2010
V.I.P.

tbh, i think aa needs to revamp their image, starting with how the clothes are presented. Sex sells yeah, but when your whole company is shrouded in nothing but sexism there is something wrong.
They also need to stop making so many useless, expensive products and think of who they are designing for. Just a COMPLETE 180 is needed for them.

19-08-2010
Empire State of Mind

i just read an article in a german newspaper this morning. it was reported that AA didn't treat their employees fairly and sometimes didn't pay them in time either. also there was supposed to be an incident with employing illegal immigrants without a work permit.

i just hope the company can be rescued. the concept is good. it just needs some brushing up here and there. just thought about how many basic items i've accumulated in the last years that i got a lot of wear out of and wouldn't want to miss.

19-08-2010
front row

the only item i'll miss is the viscose sexuali-tee. i only ever bought bare bone basics from there.

19-08-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverandnone View Post
tbh, i think aa needs to revamp their image, starting with how the clothes are presented. Sex sells yeah, but when your whole company is shrouded in nothing but sexism there is something wrong.
They also need to stop making so many useless, expensive products and think of who they are designing for. Just a COMPLETE 180 is needed for them.
I think most people still view American Apparel as the American Apparel of 2006 rather than 2010, which is a lot of preppy and understated basics, things you could wear in an professional/office setting. A lot of what I hear from people is making fun of the neon colored and bathing suit stuff from seasons and years ago but lots of these same people have never been in the store or have not been in recently. I just wonder how they'll ever change their image/reputation or get people curious enough to check out what else they have to offer. They have had so much success with the neon/electro stuff they carried to the point of parody, which is a shame because they've some really nice stuff in that's not so loud. I do think they are trying to counter the public perception though.

19-08-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGIN View Post
I feel like the magazines that American Apparel are being advertised in (Fantastic Man, Purple Fashion, The Gentlewoman) are really influencing the whole image of AA's look and apparels. I feel like with some of the products I see promoted all over Toronto (and I literally mean all over Toronto) the styling and garments individually hit the ideal trend for the season, I can say it's very Chloe/Celine influenced in my personal opinion.
Yes very European influenced look to the clothing (aside from their line of basic tees and leggings) with some prep.

19-08-2010
front row

From the BBC

Quote:
American Apparel warns about mounting debts and losses

The US clothing chain American Apparel has warned it might not be able to continue because of debts and trading losses.

The Los Angeles based retailer said its debts had risen to $120.3m (77.2m).

The firm said there was "substantial doubt that the company will be able to continue as a going concern".

Its share price fell 15% on Tuesday morning. The shares had already lost 55% of their value since the beginning of the year.

American Apparel, which has more than 280 stores worldwide, and 14 in the UK, warned of losses of up to $7m (4.5m) for the three months to June.

Continuing losses

The company says it expects its losses to continue throughout the third quarter of this year.

The firm has also said it was likely to breach the terms of its agreement with its main lender, the private equity firm, Lion Capital.

The company, which is known for its t-shirts and low-budget advertising style, has been involved in several controversies.

Last year, US immigration inspectors ordered it to dismiss some 1,500 workers in Los Angeles because they did not have work documents.

The company's auditors Deloitte resigned in July. A newly appointed auditor Marcum is completing a review of the accounts.

The firm employs around 10,000 people.
bbc.co.uk

I think people might have realized you can get the same basic tee for a lot less than one would purchase over at AA - the recession has that sort of effect. Not to mention the questionable image AA was harboring out at one time or another and the treatment of its workers - it makes a perfect news controversy.

Quite a turn of events from where they were in 2005 though, ranked as one of the fastest growing companies with revenues over $211 million dollars.

20-08-2010
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleLesley View Post
From the BBC
bbc.co.uk

I think people might have realized you can get the same basic tee for a lot less than one would purchase over at AA - the recession has that sort of effect. Not to mention the questionable image AA was harboring out at one time or another and the treatment of its workers - it makes a perfect news controversy.

Quite a turn of events from where they were in 2005 though, ranked as one of the fastest growing companies with revenues over $211 million dollars.
That's the main reason why I stopped shopping there. for example, I saw a pair of trousers there that I really wanted but they were 70. If it was a store like...I dont know... Reiss?? then I would understand, but AA? Considering what they are (essentially a store for basics) I decided against it.

V.I.P.

lollicandy - their image hasn't changed...at all. I, nor any of my other friends, who have been shopping there for a while, havent noticed anything.

I only own 4 things from AA anyway.

20-08-2010
trendsetter

This is sad!!! I love AA! I have probably own 50+ of their pieces. I love their sexuali-tee and their v necks and their stan on immigration. I can't believe this!

20-08-2010
V.I.P.

I love their baby rib briefs. $12 for a pair of underwear and worth every penny. They feel so good and fit so perfectly..and they just look so hot. Especially if you have a nice butt

V.I.P.

yeah maybe they should take a stand on sexism...

20-08-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
lollicandy - their image hasn't changed...at all. I, nor any of my other friends, who have been shopping there for a while, havent noticed anything.

Have you not noticed a huge change in their new season style and advertising images? They've got rid of most of the ridiculously slutty sheen heavy tiny clothing and replaced it with seersucker shirts and shorts, peter pan collars, petticoats, jodhpurs, that sort of thing. Its preppy in the extreme. Still to expensive, but I do love their hoodies as a daily comfy option, and the fact that their high waist trousers are genuinely high waisted.

20-08-2010
trendsetter

Quote:

It really has. And it is coming from the top down. I have not been in the US for about a year and had not been in the store longer than that, but I saw a huge difference in the dress of the people working there and what's carried on their website. Like mindbear mentioned, there's a lot of seersucker, soft color palette, and preppier/put together items.

Redsole^^ I am sad as well. I liked that it was made in the US, and saw that they are carrying some shoes made up in Gloversville NY on their website.

Last edited by lollicandy; 20-08-2010 at 08:14 PM.
21-08-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
ridiculously slutty sheen heavy tiny clothing and replaced
I don't understand how american apparel is ~slutty~ (that's such an awful word). Sexist yes, but tiny shorts =//= "slutty".

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, american, apparel