How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-10-2005
windowshopping

strangely pertinant
Whoa,

believe it or not there are no Streets of Fear 45's at newbury Comics right now, but there are a bunch of the limited ones in Stel's. And as far as APC is concerned I have one pair that I washed twice, with a bucket of salted ice cubes in cold water. Sounds crazy, but I ride my bicycle in them every day and occasionally when they get soaked in the rain I toss them in the dryer to shrinkem back up a bit. Having washed them twice in a year they seem to still fit ok, but they've stretched and hang a little low, which leads to my showing my asscrack whenever I lean over into my amp or get a good stride on my bike. Elio has a pair from Stel's that he has never washed and the shine of sweat and beer is pretty badass, of course crawling around on concrete floors in puddles of beer while you rub your guitar against strange girls thighs will shine up any jeans. Still, I wish they would tighten up a hair more, feedback and beer not withstanding.

09-10-2005
rising star

ok

i have to say. i am deeply impressed by the devotion here to caring and maintaining your APC jeans. unbelievable actually. there ha to be a name for this?

this is the best yet- "the shine of sweat and beer is pretty badass, of course crawling around on concrete floors in puddles of beer while you rub your guitar against strange girls thighs will shine up any jeans." a true jean lover! and perpetrator of the rock and roll lifestyle.

i still haven't unfolded mine. which may be taking devotion too far and maybe not devotion at all. but i like to treasure things before i even wear them...

fashion insider

I had my jeans thrown against a chair the other morning on the way to school, and there was a wet towel there too...they smell like honey gone rancid

And of course, being a devotee^^, I don't want to wash them just yet...should I just rinse them in water several times and let them dry in the sun?

this sucks

doom doom doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo21
I had my jeans thrown against a chair the other morning on the way to school, and there was a wet towel there too...they smell like honey gone rancid

And of course, being a devotee^^, I don't want to wash them just yet...should I just rinse them in water several times and let them dry in the sun?

this sucks
I heard that simply putting the jeans inside out in a ziplock bag with a bit of baking soda and putting it in the freezer for a day or two will get rid of the smell (same goes for when you've just worn them too often they start to smell). I haven't done it to mine yet, though...

09-10-2005
fashion insider

^ Great!! Thx!

fashion icon

Yeah. Arturo you can also try spraying some Febreeze on to your jeans.

10-10-2005
Yes, please

Or you might try dry cleaning them in thedryer, inside out, with Dryel.

http://www.dryel.com/usa/index.shtml

I haven't done this with my APCs, although I DID do them with my raw denim Helmuts a few years back. So proceed with caution. But the dryer shouldn't shrink it if it isn't wet... I think.

10-10-2005
fashion insider

should I put the baking soda on the jeans?

doom doom doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo21
should I put the baking soda on the jeans?
Yeah, but make sure the jeans are inside out. You can just shake it off after.

10-10-2005
windowshopping

OK,

I find just putting the jeans out to dry in the breeze kills most stink, but if you can't live without them I have to admit putting them in a bag in the freezer sounds genius. But if the smell is caused by some rancid bacteria that may not work. if you want to go to extremes nothing makes jeans look better and kills a smell better than cement, just a little bit of mortar mix will revolutionise jeans, it will ruin almost everything else, but that extra fine dust with just a touch of lime turns jeans into a whole other thing. I found this out at work in my 501's, they look killer after some cement mixing. Once you do it, they'll never go back to normal, but every jamoke on the streets is normal, so why not.

Last edited by timore; 10-10-2005 at 07:10 PM.
11-10-2005
fashion insider

^No, they just didn't dry well

But next time, I'll try and go to a construction site

windowshopping

After emailing an apc.fr rep, I found out that the "New Standard Jean" has replaced all of the old Standards. He said that if you buy the regular "Standard Jean" in Indigo off of the website, you'll recieve the lower waisted newer version. So that's what I did. I ordered a 29, I'll post pics when they arrive.

16-10-2005
backstage pass

I've been checking out this thread and thought I could offer some advice on APC dry denim.

There is no problem with actually washing your jeans, don't take the whole NEVER WASH YOUR JEANS YOU UNBELIEVER!!! thing as gospel. Now that being said there are two reasons for not wanting to wash your jeans:

1) You want to keep them in their NEW state (no fading of the indigo + no wear marks). If this is the case I would recommend occasional dry cleaning and maybe washing them by hand with zero for dark colors by Woolite. Zero is very mild and the indigo loss will be minimal. If you're really concerned about loosing some indigo just say so in the thread I'll recommend some detergents especially developed for denim used by wacky Japanese denim nerds. BTW if you liked how stiff they were when you first got them you might want to starch them to get the same effect, but they'll wear-out faster.

2) You want to have highly contrasting fading (almost no fading of the indigo with wear marks that are a lot paler usually located in the pocket and knee areas). The best way to do this is to wait a long time before washing your jeans because the longer you wait the more the indigo will have bled (because of the abrasion caused by daily wear) at some areas compared to the rest of the jeans. I would recommend something like 120 wearings, count them on a sheet of paper near your bed and disgust your girlfriend when she learns you haven't washed your jeans for 112 days. The tighter the jeans the bigger the abrasion, the higher the contrast fading. Starching them might help too since they'll be stiffer.

About the jeans becoming looser: they shrink back when you wash them and then stretch again when you wear them.

For the DH addicts looking for a tight jean: APC aren't DH, they have higher rise and are more 501ish (the classic Levi model). Now that being said you should try the "cure" model, you'll like it.

Different models:

-English now Rescue: baggier jean, selvedge

-New standard (sometimes called standard which was the name of the old model which had a slightly higher rise if I remember correctly): great cut, looks a lot like those classic Helmut Lang dry jeans, selvedge

-Cure (called tight jeans on the website): non-selvedge, about as tight as the NS around the waist and thighs but slightly more tapered. Some of the tighter jeans on the market that don't have the dreaded 3% lycra (men and lycra are polar opposite, stay away...plus only 100% cotton jeans age gracefully....)

-Hipster (called women's jeans on the website): fine for boys too, quite low rise and also very tight, less taper than new standards and especially cure.

About the sizing: APC jeans sizing is all over the place (heard they got better) so you might try 2 new standard jeans in the same size and find out that one is bigger than the other. Don't sweat it too much if you order online APC has a very good return policy (the best way to do it imho,if you got the cash flow, is to order the jeans you want in three different sizes and keep the best fit). If you try them in the store just get something really tight, almost uncomfortable because they'll stretch...unless you're looking for a baggier fit. As a rule of thumb you should wear 2 sizes smaller than your usual size. The problem is that this rule applies to a lot of other makers, so you better measure the waist of a pair you already have that fits you perfectly and order an APC 2 sizes lower than that measurement. E.g. if you measure the waist and itís 32" order a size 30 and you should be okay. The best idea would be to follow my advice and get a size 28, 29, 30 and keep the best of the three.

Hope that helps.

19-10-2005
windowshopping

Okay I got my order today. Took about 4 days with standard shipping I tried them on and I think I need to drop even lower in size. This 29 still leaves about an inch of space at the waist. Right now they feel pretty comfortable at the thighs...which is what we don't want haha. I have to say though, these jeans are beautiful, and I'm sad I have to wait another week or so for em. But it'll be worth it. So yeah, size down twice for all you interested.

20-10-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by keys
Okay I got my order today. Took about 4 days with standard shipping I tried them on and I think I need to drop even lower in size. This 29 still leaves about an inch of space at the waist. Right now they feel pretty comfortable at the thighs...which is what we don't want haha. I have to say though, these jeans are beautiful, and I'm sad I have to wait another week or so for em. But it'll be worth it. So yeah, size down twice for all you interested.
Out of curiosity did you measure the waist while the jeans were lying flat? Was the measurement 31"?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
apc, jeans