How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-07-2005
Diamond

For the baby who has everything?
After years of trying, tragic miscarriages and sadness, my friends finally have a healthy baby boy! I'm so excited for them and really want to get the baby something. The catch? He already has everything so I need to get creative.

I'm looking for something small (my husband and I already got them a big gift for the shower). Clothes would be preferable, but I'm open to other ideas. Also, my friends are very nontraditional so I don't want something generic. I found some funny onesies at totshop.com, but I'm hoping you tFS-ers can find something better! I know I can count on you

Thanks in advance!

~Madeleine Albright

28-07-2005
front row

Recently, I got a friend a collectiong of about 10 of my favorite childhood books as a baby gift.

They can read them for years to come and also adds something to the nursery!

I chose everything from "Pat the Bunny" to "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day". Giving the gift of books is often times a lot more special than clothes, etc.

Congrats to your friend!

28-07-2005
V.I.P.

I think custom-made stuff is the way to go for people that have everything and it sounds like something your friends would appreciate. Do you have any crafty skills? Perhaps you could make something really special and one-of-a-kind for the baby

Edit * - I really like JessRuthie's idea, too! Books are really special to me, especially inscribed

Last edited by Curious; 28-07-2005 at 11:41 AM.
28-07-2005
Diamond

Books are a great idea! Thanks for all the help thus far!

Keep it coming
BTW: I'm not creative...in the least

~Madeleine Albright
28-07-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipkitten
Books are a great idea! Thanks for all the help thus far!

Keep it coming
BTW: I'm not creative...in the least
My friend really loved the books after all the clothes and toys she received.

I know someone who makes custom baby quilts to match nurseries. This is a great gift as well if you can find someone in your area.

28-07-2005
front row

Love the previous suggestions for books & custom-made items.

One of the nicest little gifts we rec’d for our baby was this CD with lullabies from around the world:
http://www.blueberrybabies.com/2122.html

We listened to it so much with baby that DH and I can sing along in several African languages :p

Also something I love to give as gifts are little shoes/slippers from http://www.robeez.com/ they are great with v. cute designs- also for boys.

28-07-2005
front row

Custom made is the way to go.

My ex-roommate recently had a baby, and with them being a successful power-couple I could not figure out what to get them that they or their friends hadn't purchased alrady!

She is a huge Prince fan, so I purchased some baby blankets and designed these little Prince symbols with cute baby faces on them, then got them embroidered into the corners of the blankets. When she opened the gift she totally freaked out (in a good way )

People love personalized things..

I just read your comment that you're not that "creative", but just think about what he loves and it can easily translate into baby-stuff.. Besides, if they have everything they need, if the gift is a little more geared towards the parents it would probably be welcomed just as much if not more!

28-07-2005
front row

Considering most high powered men aren't used to changing dirty diapers, this is cute, and pokes fun of the whole thing. A friend of mine had gotten one when her and her husband had twin boys. She laughed and said it was a good way to make sure he knows that he has to help out too.

Another good idea is if the parents are into sports (or even if just Dad is), it's cute to get a onesie with his favorite team on it. Especially if they are having a little boy.

Also, as eastendsnob mentioned, you can always send a gift that's more geared towards the new Mom and Dad. Perhaps some of their favorite gourmet coffee with a note saying, "Just thought you might need a little pick me up for all of those all nighters to come." or maybe a gift basket sent to Mom's hospital room filled with her favorite candies, cookies, and tea. I know that I would love to pig out on my favorite chocolates and have a warm cup of tea after delivering a child! :p

front row

Oh, and I don't know if you have one near you, but there is a place called "Build a Bear", where you can make your own teddy bears. You could even personalize them by recording your voice onto a little soundchip, that then gets inserted into the bear, so everytime you squeeze the bears paw, you hear your voice.
After you're done recording, and stuffing the bear, they have a whole section of clothing and accessories so that you can personalize the teddy to the personality of the family.
Every baby needs their first teddy bear!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Peach
Every baby needs their first teddy bear!
I absolutely agree with this!! I didn't get my first teddy until I was eight !! I felt seriously deprived

All great ideas! Peach - that diaper changing kit priceless!

And the booties!! So cute!

29-07-2005
Diamond

Awww...thanks for all the help - karma for everyone!

I think I'm going to get the CD and a set of Beatrix Potter books (my favorite as a child):

Beatrix Potter

~Madeleine Albright
29-07-2005
V.I.P.

Perfect! They'll be thrilled (And thanks for the karma )

29-07-2005
V.I.P.

Ever checked out the website posh tots ?? has some cute stuff very pricey though but you should still check it out to get the cuteness factor.

29-07-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipkitten
I think I'm going to get the CD and a set of Beatrix Potter books (my favorite as a child):Beatrix Potter
Lovely choices! Glad you liked the Cd idea. I'm sure the little one will enjoy it as much as our baby did

30-07-2005
windowshopping

Do you know anybody artistic? Some friends of mine recently had a baby and I painted a picture for the baby's room, along with drawing a pair of Pointe shoes and having it framed (they had a girl and want to eventually put her in dance!). They loved it.

And this may sound ridiculous, but I also gave the baby her first purse. I have a purse fetish (which is a fact among anybody who knows me), so it made for a cute/fun gift. I bought it from Baby Gap. I'll get her started on her purse collection early :-)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
baby