How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-06-2006
front row

Yea, I don't like the logo jeans or logo shirts either... I like the sexier styles though. A lot of high end designers are more "proper" I guess... I dunno, I guess I like that hoochie look

Am I right in assuming designer equivalents of Bebe are Cavalli and Dolce & Gabanna? And Versace too I guess... Are there any others.

08-06-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1
Yea, I don't like the logo jeans or logo shirts either... I like the sexier styles though. A lot of high end designers are more "proper" I guess... I dunno, I guess I like that hoochie look

Am I right in assuming designer equivalents of Bebe are Cavalli and Dolce & Gabanna? And Versace too I guess... Are there any others.
Well maybe Dolce & Gabanna due to the fact that there was a leather skirt in one of the collections, but I wouldn't really compare BEBE too much to Cavalli or Dolce & Gabanna. I actually do like some BEBE, I like their pants & their pencil skirts are actually preety cute but their shorts are ridiculously too tight. I prefer Johnson shorts, some of their styles have a preety short length but don't look trashy...You know they don't shine from a mile away & ride up your bum.

08-06-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbliss
Well maybe Dolce & Gabanna due to the fact that there was a leather skirt in one of the collections, but I wouldn't really compare BEBE too much to Cavalli or Dolce & Gabanna. I actually do like some BEBE, I like their pants & their pencil skirts are actually preety cute but their shorts are ridiculously too tight. I prefer Johnson shorts, some of their styles have a preety short length but don't look trashy...You know they don't shine from a mile away & ride up your bum.
Yea, I really like the Bebe pencil skirts. I do like to dress conservative sometimes too and I like their skirts, I like stuff that's more fitted, I guess that's why I like their style. I would prefer more high quality stuff, like maybe a similar style but tailored better so it doesn't fall apart after you wash it...

08-06-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1

Yeah Cavalli, DG and Versace pretty much
Can't think of any others...
As for shoes, they did a few Christian Louboutin knockoffs this season (pretty good IMO) and purses they knock-off pretty much whatever is in (this season i saw a K/O of the Gucci scarf bag, Coach patchwork, Fendi spy, etc)

I wouldn't call these trashy...

amazon.com

Last edited by tangerine; 03-07-2006 at 07:55 PM.
08-06-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
For me, I never completely write off any label. I don't wear any bebe because there are no stores near me but I am not horribly opposed to them. Some of their stuff is low quality and a bit junky looking or cheap. But it's about how you style it. I'm sure that you could definately find things there and make it your own. There's nothing wrong with that. Either way, if you like it, thats what counts
I agree! Yeah, Bebe might look trashy (they look like in the same vein as Jane Norman/Morgan in the UK) but depending on what you wear with the stuff, nobody is going to accuse YOU of looking trashy. Obviously, decking yourself head to toe in the stuff doesn't seem advisable. I like to think there's potential in most items of clothing to work on some level or another.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
08-06-2006
V.I.P.

dont buy anything silk at bebe.

i dont think bebe is all that bad. a lot of their items tend to wash well.

they also have a new line that is supposed to look more couture like.

08-06-2006
tfs star

bebe is devoid of merit as a label, but absolute genius as a business.

can we all say rayon spandex with heat transfer trims?

these people know how to make a very successful business banking on one of the immutable laws of human nature, which is young single people like to wear tight tops!!

more power to them! same patterns, different color rayon spandex, very low fabric budget (sew THEN die process, not to mention S-T-R-E-T-C-H factor)

i would love to own this business. i would hate to wear their product.

so i guess the answer is yes.

Last edited by ilovepositano; 08-06-2006 at 01:16 PM.
08-06-2006
scenester

Yes, it's right up there with Guess as the label that can advertise.
However, when you actually look at the stuff in the store, you're horrified how tacky the stuff are and how just cheap-*** the finish and the material is. If you get bored, walk around the Guess store and see how many people you can spot who are absolutely clueless, including the salespeople.

09-06-2006
V.I.P.

Bebe has gotten cheaper and cheaper each season, this is the worst Ive seen them EVER. I loved thier F/W 05 line since it pretty much knocked off Dior F/W 05 with the huge collars and big belts and big ornate buttons...Shockingly it didn't sell at all, I wish I were a woman so I could've snapped up all those oh-so delcious pieces...

This season I did see this one brown strapless jersey dress, where the top blousons, a big belt around the waist and it's like kneelength, it's lovely...That's about it...

Whomever said Bebe was very Vegas is right, they had special tshirts that read Bebe Las Vegas in rhinestones...

09-06-2006
trendsetter

If you dont know how to put clothes together it might look trashy. The clothes bebe puts together are very nice like the ones on the website and in the stores if some of you have seen it. I think it really depends on how the person wears their clothes. I buy a few of their stuff especially some tops and jewelry and thats about it mostly stuff that are on sale hehe.

11-06-2006
front row

As a lamen who knows nothing about Bebe, when I first walked into one of their stores, I saw a beautiful cranberry velvet coat which I loved. But I didn't have the money. I really thought the store looked nice. But then I went on their website and it much of it does look trashy. Maybe you just need to see it under a certain light.

13-06-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie_bubble
I agree! Yeah, Bebe might look trashy (they look like in the same vein as Jane Norman/Morgan in the UK) but depending on what you wear with the stuff, nobody is going to accuse YOU of looking trashy. Obviously, decking yourself head to toe in the stuff doesn't seem advisable. I like to think there's potential in most items of clothing to work on some level or another.
I completely agree. if you buy the outfits the way that they intend you to wear them (you know, the styling they use to sell the brand) then yeah it is tacky...but seriously I have a decent amount of clothing from them...a couple of really cute tops (NOT the ones that say "bebe" sparkly ) I have a pair of skinny jeans from like 4 yrs ago, another pair of jeans I really like...
Its all about the way you wear things, I am confident I could find clothing from almost any brand and make it my style.

13-06-2006
front row

I think it's just the way it's put together...the outfits they market are too trendy to be taken seriously, but individual pieces work on their own, though the pricepoints are way too high...Some of their jackets run about the same as one from Marc by Marc Jacobs

14-06-2006
V.I.P.

I pretty much agree with what everyone has said so far.

Based on their advertisements and styling, Bebe definitely looks trashy and tacky. Pieces mentioned like the pants and shirts with the label on the behind or over the chest is another reason why Bebe is considered tacky. But some of the individual pieces I've seen, especially those in Lucky magazine, are quite nice. I would definitely wear them. And, yeah, I agree about the prices- too high.

And this is why I attribute the "tacky and trashy" to the ads:

bebe.com

trendsetter

Just take a look around you and see what kind of people are in the store shopping for bebe clothes... they're not always "trashy". They do have more sex appeal but if the right women wear them, it doesn't look trashy in my opinion. It all depends on the actual person, not only the clothing.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bebe