How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-05-2005
windowshopping

The best vintage & charity shops
Hey

Just wanted to know where people thought the best and inexpensive vintage clothing could be found especially in Paris and London. Sorry if this topic is covered elsewhere, if so i would most grateful for any forum addresses.

22-05-2005
front row

Charity shop-wise, in London I find the best stores are in areas such as Golders Green, Muswell Hill, Palmers Green, Southgate, Temple Fortune or Finchley (North and Central).I've found that stores in other areas either sell smelly tat, or are really overpriced (Notting Hill housing trust do you hear me? )

But you should really visit on a regular basis and on weekdays - the good stuff is gone by the weekend. Be patient. The good finds can take weeks to turn up!
If you want ethnic stuff - I found that Tooting was great.
As for vintage stores - i think there may already be another thread, but I like Alfies Antique market the best and theres also a vintage fashion fair at Hammersmith town hall every six weeks or so - thats where the trade goes.

To be honest, Portobello doesn't excite me anymore - I see better stuff in charity shops for about a tenth of the price!

23-05-2005
windowshopping

I know someone mentioned that a french magazine called BAG had a lot of resources for Parisien charity shops does anyone know whether they have a website, i can't find one.

27-12-2006
Distract Me...

Great article from the Telegraph on vintage shopping in London

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/m...tvintage24.xml

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
charity, shops, vintage