How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-02-2006
rising star

Care Instructions - Angora
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. I bought my first Rick Owens coat last month, and it's made of 100% angora. Now the shoulder and arm areas are fraying and all my white shirts got all the tiny balls of wool ripped off from the coat. Is the material angora supposed to be like this ? It's an original price $2000 jacket !!

27-02-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxma
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. I bought my first Rick Owens coat last month, and it's made of 100% angora. Now the shoulder and arm areas are fraying and all my white shirts got all the tiny balls of wool ripped off from the coat. Is the material angora supposed to be like this ? It's an original price $2000 jacket !!
Unfortunately Angora will do that to you, because it's "hairy" I have one black angora sweater, and wear it only over a basic black tee.

27-02-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
Unfortunately Angora will do that to you, because it's "hairy" I have one black angora sweater, and wear it only over a basic black tee.
now i even need to put it in a garment bag in my closet, but other than this special feature of angora , i am happy with the jacket, it's soft and warm

27-02-2006
slightly dizzy

I have a thick cream coloured zip cardigan which is 75% lambs wool/25% angora. The first few times I wore it, it shed what felt like copious amounts, but it wasn't really that much...

About your coat, you're saying it's fraying? If you mean that it's shedding/pilling a bit, I agree that it sounds totally normal. But if the coat is actually wearing thin and falling apart, I'd take it back...

27-02-2006
rising star

I hope it won't keep shedding and become a vest !!! The only thing bothers me is I can't put on anything white underneath.

27-02-2006
slightly dizzy

Here's a thought: wash it! Or have it washed, I guess it's dry clean only? (Not that you usually can't handwash anyways, but it's safer to follow the instructions...)

If it keeps shedding after you've worn it more than a few times/washed it, there's something strange going on in my opinion...

Good luck!

19-03-2006
scenester

this may sound absolutely bizarre, but if you put the coat in the freezer for about 1 hour, it will stop the shedding. You may be thinking I'm crazy, but this trick does work. For your reference, I'm a sweater technical designer in the NYC apparel industry, so I work with lots of fibers and this is one of the weirdest tricks I've learned (but it does work). It won't hurt the fiber (in fact, some people store their cashmere sweaters in the freezer during the summer to prevent moth holes, and it doesn't harm it). Of course, make sure to put it in a freezer-safe bag.

19-03-2006
slightly dizzy

Heh, that's a too cool (pun intended) advice!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
angora, care, instructions