How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-05-2006
rising star

I got the monkey puzzle dress in size 10 off the website, and the quality isnt fantastic, there's some pulling next to the buttons half way down, but nothing a bit of sewing wont fix.

It is sheer, but I really like it, nice length and nice fit, although the hips are slightly tighter than I would have liked.

Not worth the prices that they're going for on ebay though.

25-05-2006
windowshopping

A lot of the dresses seem to be getting cheaper on ebay, particularly in the last few days. When my friend's didn't fit she decided to sell the wrong size and rebuy it in the right size off ebay. When she bought it a few days ago it was £78 but now they seem to be down to about £60.

I don't think the monkey puzzle ones are great quality at all. They seem to be in the wrong style for such a sheer fabric, I think you need to have a floaty style with such thin material so that it doesn't pull and tear. They're a lovely pattern though.
Vicki

25-05-2006
scenester

You're right vickizoso - I have the monkey puzzle dress and blouse now and they are delicate but I too love the pattern and shape with the little puffed sleeves etc- so I just have to be careful with them!!

26-05-2006
windowshopping

For those still looking, the Topshop concession in Selfridges has a fair few Celia Birtwell items left (including some of the Golden Slumbers stuff which I know has been popular, although I only gave it a quick glance so I'm not sure whether it was the dresses or the blouses).

I would also advise that you try before you buy, because there is absolutely no standardisation in the sizing. I have the Monkey Puzzle blouse and dress, and while the blouse is loose in a size 8, the hips on the dress in a size 10 are quite clipped.

27-05-2006
tfs star

I was in Topshop in Newcastle city centre yesterday, and they had 3 monkey puzzle dresses left in size 12. I agree though that the material is very sheer, and the quality could have been a lot better.

27-05-2006
rising star

Got the green halterneck in the post this morning, that was the piece I really wanted, and its lovely
Still not top quality, but definatly better than the monkey dress.

28-05-2006
tfs star

It says on style.com (http://www.style.com/shopping/itemoftheweek/052606)that they're selling the dresses in the Topshop in New York for $250! That can't be right, surely?

30-05-2006
front row

The monkey dress is horrible quality. I'm going to return it today, did anyone else have problems while returning?

30-05-2006
V.I.P.

^Read my post above. I had the same problem with the monkey dress too! The cotton is terrible quality! But I exchanged it for a much nicer dress from normal Topshop....

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
31-05-2006
rising star

lacy 99, i just came across the same blurb on style.com today. do you know how much was the red rock dress going for in the u.k.? you girls are lucky. while us stateside girls were going gaga over tara jarmon for target, you've got celia birtwell for topshop. interesting prints but the quality isn't that great?

Last edited by shopdiary; 31-05-2006 at 03:44 PM.
31-05-2006
backstage pass

Theres loads of monkey puzzle dresses left in Leeds, blouses too

01-06-2006
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopdiary
lacy 99, i just came across the same blurb on style.com today. do you know how much was the red rock dress going for in the u.k.? you girls are lucky. while us stateside girls were going gaga over tara jarmon for target, you've got celia birtwell for topshop. interesting prints but the quality isn't that great?
I think they were £45 which works out to about $83, so to charge $250 is a bit ridiculous really.

02-06-2006
rising star

thanks for the info lacy 99. i'd hate to say this but ebay might come out cheaper then (at least for us stateside gals) but it probably won't be worth it based on the reviews i've read so far. lovely prints though, that's for sure.

backstage pass

cannot believe my luck today. Popped into my local one and they had one WHITE red rock dress just sitting there!!! (these are going for 200 pounds on ebay)
I am so happy as I have the red one and adore it, and never thought I would be able to get the white, as it was so coveted once Kate Moss was seen in it! I am so happy

03-06-2006
tea time

i saw these in my local topshop yesterday no one would notice that they were there they were hid behind a load of other clothes.

and i must say i wasnt really impressed because the cotton was very thin so i cant see them lasting long.

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
birtwell, celia, topshop