How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-04-2004
front row

The ones I've seen have been about $250 and up.

10-04-2004
windowshopping

Sometimes I wish I had thousands to spend on clothes... but then I realize I could never let myself do that when there are so many who go hungry everyday... Luckily, I'm a student, who will oneday be a poor teacher, and will never have to face that dilemma!

But..........
Anyone want to share Bargain Hunting tips, and great finds?

I'll start:
One of my faves to go to for cheap shoes, and sometimes clothes- Nordstrom Rack... They tend to have a lot of sneakers(which I need for chasing after the munchkins all day!)
I got really cute Coach leather flip flops for $25 yesterday, also a Sigrid Olsen skirt (too cute- brown and pink) which is still in stores selling for $140 but I got it for $30 !!!
Last week I got a really sweet Ralph Lauren skirt for $20- I love it!
I'm regretting not getting them now, but I saw Marc Jacobs flat black shoes, with these interesting cut-outs on the sides- for $80... but I didn't need more black shoes, so I didnt get them!
If my feet were smaller, I'd have probly found even more... but it's hard finding some things in a 10!

I also love Filene's Basement for finding awesome purses- nice leather bags can get down to $10-20, which were once almost $200...

10-04-2004
backstage pass

nice topic

did you find the Coach leather flip flops at Nordstrom Rack?

10-04-2004
rising star

mmm...this is the thread for me. i seriously don't think i have bought anything at retail for as long as i can remember, except maybe a few pairs of jeans, and those were purchased at bloomingdales with a relative's employee discount. even though i'm a poor student i think i've managed to amass a decent wardrobe, and i don't feel like i've had to deprive myself...too much.

a good way to get current season clothes at a discount is to hit the pre-season sales at department stores. it is the best feeling to have saved a hundred bucks on a pair of boots that's still sitting in neiman marcus at full price. and i totally use the coupons in the mailers that get sent home....

also, i live for *good* outlet malls, like woodbury commons in ny. patience is definitely the order of the day when i go there but i never come away empty-handed. (if all else fails, i can at least find cheap cashmere socks at the barney's store or gifts from the coach store). i really don't understand how some of these places operate, because i picked up a pair of shoes early last fall that i saw weeks later selling for full-price in a big department store.... maybe mine were samples or slightly defective or something??? i don't know. sometimes great items get relegated to outlet status because of miniscule "defects" i honestly would not have noticed. (that's how i got a great pair of earl jeans for $30, and a $900 dolce coat for $200!)

century 21 is the best. the one in new york is always depleted when i go there but my family lives in the suburbs near an outpost, and it is really good. ($400 black patent leather j.p. tod slingbacks for $99.... ) actually, the same goes for bloomingdales--i can never find the sizes i want when i'm at bloomies in new york, but whenever i go home and shop at the bloomies near my parents' house i find great stuff. so there's another tip, maybe--sometimes shopping outside of big cities can pay off, especially at sale time.

and, of course, we bargain hunters know that if you slog through the pile of crap on the clearance table you can sometimes turn up gems. and get seriously lucky. my mom found a current-season purse on a sales table at nordstrom marked at 70 percent off full price. when she took it to the register, the saleswoman was like, oh no, we made a mistake, that shouldn't be on sale, but she let my mother buy it anyway. and once i bought a beautiful cashmere cardigan that had been languishing unnoticed on a sales rack, and when the salesperson scanned it, it rang up at 28 cents--another store mistake. so that's what i paid for it!!!

happy hunting!!

10-04-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by chippie27@Apr 10th, 2004 - 4:21 am
and once i bought a beautiful cashmere cardigan that had been languishing unnoticed on a sales rack, and when the salesperson scanned it, it rang up at 28 cents--another store mistake. so that's what i paid for it!!!

happy hunting!!
WOW! how nice!

I've had a situation similar to that, but not nearly as nice as a cashmere cardigan. It was a martini shaped pin with crystals or diamond-looking things as the "drink", at a department store. Rang up as a penny!

10-04-2004
windowshopping

yep- coach shoes at the Rack!

I've gotten 2 silk and cashmere cardigans from Banana Republic for $9.99 each! Talk about a steal!

10-04-2004
Adorable illusion

I love shopping for bargains!! Its such a great buzz when you get something sweet and very adorable for not much money

Also, i like shopping during the week day like really early in the morning when the stores just open, that way the SA are more helpful.

Anyway i like thrift shops and having a good old root around.

11-04-2004
V.I.P.

I got a spring green dress at the local department store for 5.96 or something like that.. it's a very pale shade, very plain, so I figured no one could tell it had been so marked down. Guess what? I passed through the other day and the same exact dress in the same exact color is being sold this season for about 50. Not exactly my most priced find, but a funny one.

Thrift shops are my undoing. I spend a ton of time in them and am always finding something new.

11-04-2004
V.I.P.

There was this DKNY coat for 285, and I had a word with the store attendants. 20. A bargain indeed.

14-04-2004
rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by ahhGucci@Apr 11th, 2004 - 10:36 am
There was this DKNY coat for 285, and I had a word with the store attendants. 20. A bargain indeed.
Wow. How exactly did you manage to swing that...? Can you tell me the "word" so I can "have" it too?

14-04-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by chippie27+Apr 14th, 2004 - 6:49 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chippie27 @ Apr 14th, 2004 - 6:49 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-ahhGucci@Apr 11th, 2004 - 10:36 am
Wow. How exactly did you manage to swing that...? Can you tell me the "word" so I can "have" it too? [/b][/quote]
I think ahhGucci said "please".

14-04-2004
trendsetter

What if I say please AND bat my eyelashes?
Can I get it for $10?

17-04-2004
backstage pass

The Limited has a t-shirt sale right now, and they're really nice. They're off-the-shoulder and asymmetrical, mostly, and in pretty colors. Anyway, I like them and they're cheap (average of $15 each). The website is here, but I don't think you can buy online.

Hahaha, the rest of the posts are on mostly designer stuff. I feel so low-brow. Ok, so wrong kind of bargain--oh, well.

17-04-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by chippie27+Apr 14th, 2004 - 6:49 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chippie27 @ Apr 14th, 2004 - 6:49 am)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ahhGucci@Apr 11th, 2004 - 10:36 am
Wow. How exactly did you manage to swing that...? Can you tell me the "word" so I can "have" it too? [/b][/quote]
Wait...what? Were they rude or something so you got a discount? Teach me this skill, oh Master!

19-04-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by eloes@Apr 17th, 2004 - 4:06 pm
The Limited has a t-shirt sale right now, and they're really nice. They're off-the-shoulder and asymmetrical, mostly, and in pretty colors. Anyway, I like them and they're cheap (average of $15 each). The website is here, but I don't think you can buy online.

Hahaha, the rest of the posts are on mostly designer stuff. I feel so low-brow. Ok, so wrong kind of bargain--oh, well.
hey-a bargain's a bargain...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bargain, cheap, chic, hunting